“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
New York City, New York
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

THE GOOD: Spectacular location, right next to the Monterey Aquarium. Beautifully appointed. Hip, modern, incredibly clean, spa-like retreat. The rooms are large, comfortable, and we LOVED having the fireplace in the room. The concierge, restaurant wait staff, and all of the other staff members, we wonderful and accommodating. We really can't say enough good things about this hotel.

THE BAD: Nothing.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2009

We stayed at the Clement for four nights Dec. 18-23. Positives: 1) Great location right next to the aquarium, 2) friendly/pleasant staff, 3) nicely appointed comfortable rooms, 4) very clean (good maid service), and 5) my son loved having the gas fireplace (something most hotel rooms we stay in don't usually have).

Not as positive: 1) Internet descriptions were misleading (I thought I was booking a balcony where we could sit out with a Cannery row view, but what I booked was a small Juliette (standing room only balcony). I booked right through the hotel, but no one even warned me of this.) -- To give the hotel a little credit -- I later saw this in the fine print of the hotel features list on my email confirmation. Other places have always warned me ahead of time if I am booking something that might not meet my expectations and made sure that I knew my choices and what I was getting. I would have expected the same from this hotel, 2) This is mostly a pet peeve of mine, but rather than having an empty hotel refrigerator for my use, it was filled with expensive items ($3 cans of soda, etc.) that are automatically charged to your room (the system can tell by weight if you take anything out) -- I understand that you can get special permission to empty the refrigerator out. Rather than do this, I just used by soft sided cooler for personal item, but that meant regular trips to the ice machine, making my hotel stay a little like camping, 3) very minor item: The very lovely spacious bathrooms have a design where no towels or wash clothes can be hung right by the sink, 4) Prices were high -- not a great value -- a) dinner for three $84 with tip (and that's no alcohol, a kid's meal for one of us, just salad and appetizer for one of the adults) -- at least the food was good and the restaurant had a nice ambiance, b) breakfast for three was $42 -- here the offerings/combinations were pretty strange too -- I'd avoid his place for breakfast, c) no free wi-fi -- $10 a day, so we didn't use this, and d) in room movies for the bargain price (Not) of $15 (I let my son get one movie during our four night stay).

There was a small 1/2 lap pool and jacuzzi that they keep at about 95 degrees which we used and were happy to have, which were fine, but not a nice as these facilities are in most hotels where we stay.

All in all, the hotel was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kathy884
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2009

I called 3 separate times to make sure that my reservation was on the top floor with a view of Cannery Row. When we checked in we were told our reservation was for a view of the parking garage. They did not apologize or offer a reduction in price, they said we were misinformed. I called 3 times on 3 separate days and was told the same lie, that we would get the view that we wanted. I am warning you, they do not offer the truth and when you get there, no discount for their lies.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank CaliforniaBlondee
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2009

If you want to stay in Monterey and see the aquarium this is the only hotel to stay at. Beautifully decorated, attentive and friendly staff. Locate right in downtown next to the aquarium. Caution no sunset views but Monterey is on the southern side of Monterey Bay so you look North over the water. the bedding and the room was excellent.

1 Thank rob b
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

We had a wonderful stay the night before my husband's half marathon!!! Our room was located on the 3rd floor right above the pool, which was really nice because it has a fountain attached to it...so we could open our window and hear the relaxing sounds of the water. The room itself room exceeded our expectations--extremely clean and romantic...all the bells and whistles. We frequent 4 star hotels in SF so we know a good one when we see it!

One star lopped off for closing their restaurant on a Saturday afternoon and night for a private party of 47 people. They have no other restaurant or cafe in the hotel to choose from and did not pre-warn of this affair. Also, the staff was nice enough, but if we passed them in the lobby or hallway, they did not acknowledge us. Not a big deal because the room and location and comfort made up for this BIG time!

Just some notes:
1. The pool is not really for swimming...it's very small and narrow.
2. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast on Sunday--decent prices and you can't beat the view.
3. We checked in 2 hours early with no problem.
4. We called the morning of check out to ask for a 12pm check out instead of the usual 11am. Again, no problem.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DahliaWaver
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

This was our second stay at the Clement- and we loved it even more than the first. We had signed up for their loyalty program, and they welcomed us back, acknowledged our Anniversay, and pre-arranged for a 2pm check-out. The service was great, from the Front Desk to teh restuarant- and don't miss breakfast! We'd skipped it our first trip- thinking it'd be like a lot of "hotel" restaurants- but we were completely surprised! It was FANTASTIC! I loved my Castroville omlette with artichoke hearts and my husband had this amazing lamb hash dish, is was sooooo yummy! We had planned on using the gym & pool- but ended up enjoying our room with the view & fireplace so much we hardly got out! :) Like some people have mentioned pool is really small- but it's cute & stylish and better than nothing if it's hot out!

I highly recommend the InterContinental Clement for those wanting a nice getaway, relaxation, nicely appointed rooms with all the amenitities and friendly service. Take advantage of their amazing deck with gas firepits for a sunset cocktail or glass of wine overlooking the Monterey Bay- you won't want to leave!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Santa Cruz, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

My husband treated me to a weekend away at The Clement. We were very pleased with our accomodations. We had book a room with a king bed, but were pleasantly surprised when we were given a room that also had a fireplace, small balcony and a partial ocean view. The room was first class all the way - great linens, down comforter, feather bed, sony radio with ipod connection, flat screen TV, safe, desk, easy chair, complimentary bottled water, bathrobes, and a very nice bathroom. Our room was on the opposite side of the street from the ocean and lobby, but the ocean view was still nice (especially if you ignored Bubba Gumps restaurant below). Although our room was right above Cannery Row, it was extremely quiet - one evening there was a classic car show/parade (Cherries Jubilee) taking place on the street below and we have never even heard it if we didn't open our patio door to watch. There is also a pretty well equipped gym on site as well as a very small pool.

The location is fantastic - right on Cannery Row, steps away from Monterey Bay Aquarium, a beautiful bike/walking path, and a number of restaurants. The restaurant at the Clement was excellent!

The only complaint I had was the after the first night, I realized that there was a rubber-backed mattress pad on the bed - I'm sure it was there to protect the feather bed, but it also made the bed less comfy. I called guest services in the morning about it and they had housekeeping remove it when they made up the room.

We had such a great time staying at the Clement that we have booked ourselves to return for New Year's getaway.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple