“A comfortable, well-located hotel”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Bellingham, Washington
“A comfortable, well-located hotel”
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I found this hotel after much searching of visitors' ratings on TripAdvisor, when our favorite B&B in the area was booked, and we needed another option. We stayed for two nights over the Thanksgiving Day weekend, while visiting family in the area. The hotel consists of two buildings: one on the bayside of Cannery Row, one across the street. They are connected by a second floor walkway over the street. We were in the 'across the street' building, but had a window that overlooked the biking/walking trail and various shops -- not the street. Thus, it was provided the quiet we desired, and a pleasant view. We loved the fireplace for the chilly, foggy evening, and the well-appointed and designed bathroom. The hotel would be perfect for people who want to see the Monterey Aquarium, practically next door; or who want to wander around Cannery Row.

Our disappointments: the incredible traffic jam trying to get in and out of the parking and check-in area; rather slow service at the front desk; a too-expensive restaurant; very noisy family in the room above us (I had to go ask them to keep their kids from using the bed as a trampoline), and an undrinkable bottle of Pinot Noir in the Mini-bar.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 8travelbug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Tehachapi, California
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We stayed at the Clement for three nights over a weekend during the winter off season. We were there to celebrate 27 years of being very happily married and still in love. When we arrived we were treated like celebrities as the service was incredible. The doors were opened for us from the car all the way to the room. Now let's talk about the room. We stayed in one of the Luxury Suites and when you enter the room you enter via a hallway so you don't get to see the room right away. After going down the hall and turning a corner, you are treated to an unbelievable view of Monterey Bay through the large windows in the living room. A fireplace already lit up and going making the ambiance that much better. We first walked over to the windows and just enjoyed the view then opened up the windows to smell the ocean. All I could say was this is a great place and we hadn't even seen the rest of the suite yet. After getting our attention the host showed us around the rest of the suite including the awesome bedroom. With the attached bathroom with a separate shower and tub - not to mention that we could see the TV and another blazing fireplace in the bedroom from the tub. A deck off the bedroom with chairs and table to relax and enjoy the view from the outside made it even better. We were continually treated during our stay as if we were some celebrity or royalty. I appreciate good customer service and this place has tons of it. I will definitely stay at The Clement many more times. Many kudos go out to the folks at the Clement. As long as you all keep up the fantastic service you will keep customers coming back for more.

David P Whalen Sr
Tehachapi, CA

Orange County
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Best check-in experience by far, from the valet to the front desk. The supervisor who handled my check-in also handled the tour of my room and even arranged for my ice bucket to be filled. Stellar professionalism.

I requested and had a lovely tour of the Energia Spa, Gym and pool areas. My subsequent facial and massage were terrific and added to the restful getaway that I was seeking.

The ocean view was spectacular; even had a seal perched on a pylon outside of my room one day, along with otters popping up here and there.

The bar makes great, fresh whipped cream and room service is quite good.

Loved walking to and from the Aquarium. Get your tickets at the hotel; they are valid for two days.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were cordially greeted like we were extra special people--- from the valet attendants, the door greeters, the front desk, and other staff members. The staff had the essence of true southern hospitality--they were cordial, attentive, and happy.
We enjoyed listening to the sound of the waves while warming up by the pit fire on the patio that night . The view from our room was excellent, with a view of the patio and the bay. What a relaxing morning we had sipping our coffee and watching the sea lions from our window as they played in the bay! I only wish our stay had been longer because Jann particulary liked the miniature sandbox in the room and didn't get to play in it :-)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My husband and I conducted a thorough search in the Monterey-Carmel area for a wedding reception location and the clement became an obvious choice the moment we walked in. Not only was the staff amazing from the moment you arrive, but the hotel still has that new, shiny clean modern look that makes you feel at ease. My husband and I book trips down to the Clement regularly as our "getaway from the city" spot because it now feels like a home away from home.

Aside from the warm character of the hotel, the reason we decided to have our reception here was the catering manager. As a bride, this relationship is exceptionally important. If the manager is too chatty or unresponsive it can lead to 8-12 months of frustration. The minute I met the manager, Chelsea, I knew she was the person I wanted to work with. She listened, wrote notes and added ideas/insights that were helpful.

She allowed us to customize the menu for our vegetarian friends (we served pumpkin ravioli in a sage butter) and be extremely specific about the size and cooking time for our filet mignon. Chelsea took care of so many details for me and maintained great (but not intrusive) contact throughout the eight months we planned the wedding. It was because of this trust in her that I chose not to hire a wedding planner. For me, there was no need.

The day of the wedding the whole hotel staff was excited. Everyone was prepared and aware of who was where. When I was at the gym the bell man popped in to tell me my fiance had just finished his run along the water ... so I should make sure not to run into him :)

The Hotel's Energia spa was another key group in my wedding weekend. Brooke and Sherri from the spa organized a fabulous mani-pedi party for my bridesmaids and new in-laws the day before the wedding. They put appetizers out for us and allowed us to bring in our own Champagne! It couldn't have been more luxurious.

The actual reception went so smoothly. The audio equipment was all set and ready to go, the tables looked immaculate, Chelsea and the ballroom manager were there the whole time overseeing and making sure the guests were attended to. It just felt like the hotel staff genuinely enjoyed being at the event which is rare. I can recall so many weddings with cranky staffers paid by the hour, but not at the Clement.

Every one of my guests commented on how great the hotel was. The service at the bar in the C restaurant was great after the reception as most of our guests bellied up to the bar before going out dancing at Sly McFly's.

The hotel reservation staff was wonderful too. Jessika helped us weekly to adjust our room block prior to the wedding and ensured that all of our guests had accommodations at a reasonable rate.

I just can't say enough about this hotel. The rooms are spectacular, super clean and most come with an amazing view of the bay. You can hear the ocean from each room and get lost in the overstuffed, cozy beds. My wedding day couldn't have been more calm, serene, beautiful or well planned. I can't recommend this place highly enough... I just wish the weekend had lasted longer :)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheWoodalls
Bay Area
Reviewed 10 January 2010

If you are looking for an upscale hotel, located right in the heart of Cannery Row.... this is your place! Our favorite part of this hotel is the elegant and serene decor which is most appreciated after a long week at the office. In addition, the rooms are spacious, and beautiful with all white down bedding which was not only pleasing to the eye, but amazingly comfortable! Lastly, we loved the location of this hotel! It is located steps away from the Aquarium, and a scenic ocean front walking trail which we took advantage of the next morning. Trust me..... my husband and I have stayed in many hotels in this area, and this one tops them all.

San Carlos, California
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed at the Clement to celebrate NYE at the Aquarium, and to celebrate my wife's birthday. I took advantage of the special rate, and was hoping to get upgraded being an IC passport member, but it didn't happen. The room was very comfortable and pretty quiet even with the window open.

We had dinner at the C restaurant twice, and highly recommend it. The pool and spa are very small, so we went down to the Plaza Hotel at the other end of Cannery Row so my wife could get a massage, and I used their facilities.

For the most part, the staff provided good service, but most are in their early 20's and fairly green. I have to compliment Rich the bartender for his excellent service. He was very friendly, and gave wrote down some suggestions for things to see in Big Sur. He was more helpful than the concierge.

We will go back in the near future if we can get another good rate.