“Fantastic one night and delicous day stay.”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
New Zealand
“Fantastic one night and delicous day stay.”
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Finally got a chance to stay at the Clement Hotel. It was a quick, but memorable stay. The location is fantastic. I had a great view of the bay, looking down onto the court yard. It is centrally located next to the aquarium, the outlets, the night life, and the gorgeous coastal trail. I would highly suggest taking a nice walk to lovers point, and coming back to the hotel for a creative and delicous breakfast at the C Restaurant. I loved the Clement Eggs Benedict (poached eggs,crab, spinach with a sun dried tomoto hollandaise sauce), the stuffed croissant french toast with whipped mascarpone-creme fraiche and fresh berries. My dinning partner however, swears she had the best dish - the Huevos Rancheros de Mariscos (two eggs over easy with shrimo, dungeness crab on a crispy tortilla with avocado, black beans, and a spicy passilla sauce) Yummy way to enjoy the day!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This was a wonderful hotel. So close to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which we planned on visiting. The wait staff were so wonderful. They were kind and very helpful. If you needed anything at all, they were on top of it. The desk clerk and manager however, were a different story. When we arrived at The Clement in December, (I had made reservations in early November and had called to confirm the morning of our trip) we were shown to a room with a king sized bed, but there were four of us, 2 adults, 2 teens. So the bellboy took us back to the front desk and we were told, "sorry, we cannot guarantee rooms if you make the reservation using priority club points". I asked why I wasn't told that and they said we should have been. So I asked what one was supposed to do if they come from a long way (4 hrs) away expecting to get their room that they had booked. He said you just have to take a chance, but Priority Club members get last choice and this particular weekend there was nothing available. That certainly didn't ring true so I asked for the manager and he confirmed what the desk clerk said. So I asked what we were supposed to do. He said "I don't know, we're booked, but let me see if I can find you something." After about 20 minutes, he "found" us a room at their hotel and our vacation started. Even though it was a very stressful beginning, because I wasn't sure if we were going to have a place to sleep, after we got our room, we had a wonderful time. Monterey is lovely and the hotel is very centrally located to the things that we wanted to do. I would recommend this hotel only if you don't use priority club points because they treat you like you are trying to stay for free. In order to receive enough club points, we paid for and stayed at many, many hotels. We just wanted to use one of the perks of being a member. Obviously, The Clement doesn't want member of the Priority Club staying at their hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank FunFamily44
CA
Reviewed 31 January 2010

The Clement was unbelievable! My wife and I stayed here for her birthday and it was amazing. The service was incredible and the Luxury Suite with Ocean View was as good as it gets!! The location could not get any better. It is built right on the water (so the "Ocean View" is REALLY an ocean view) next door to the aquarium on Cannery Row! We could walk to everything! We had such a great time and we can't wait to go back! Oh and the fireplaces in the room made for a very romantic atmosphere!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Only stayed one night, but the rooms and style of the property were great. Solid bathroom and bed, just as you expect with an Intercontinental. Aquarium is down the street, but the rest of the street is pure tourist-trap. Peninsula is beautiful.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Recently stayed in Monterey at the InterContinental and found it to be a very upscale and charming place to stay. We were there in January and it was quiet, restaurant and bar service was very speedy, the exercise facility wasn't crowded and we were very happy with the off season low traffic and no crowds (anywhere). I would gather it wouldn't be the same in the middle of summer with lots of families on vacations but our January stay was romantic and very comfortable.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I've traveled a lot, and this was hands down the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was for the incredible service, beautiful rooms and overall experience. I even bought a robe-which I have never done before.
Any time I am around that area I will make a point to stay there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I found this hotel after much searching of visitors' ratings on TripAdvisor, when our favorite B&B in the area was booked, and we needed another option. We stayed for two nights over the Thanksgiving Day weekend, while visiting family in the area. The hotel consists of two buildings: one on the bayside of Cannery Row, one across the street. They are connected by a second floor walkway over the street. We were in the 'across the street' building, but had a window that overlooked the biking/walking trail and various shops -- not the street. Thus, it was provided the quiet we desired, and a pleasant view. We loved the fireplace for the chilly, foggy evening, and the well-appointed and designed bathroom. The hotel would be perfect for people who want to see the Monterey Aquarium, practically next door; or who want to wander around Cannery Row.

Our disappointments: the incredible traffic jam trying to get in and out of the parking and check-in area; rather slow service at the front desk; a too-expensive restaurant; very noisy family in the room above us (I had to go ask them to keep their kids from using the bed as a trampoline), and an undrinkable bottle of Pinot Noir in the Mini-bar.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple