“Great, Clean Modern Hotel”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed at the InterContinental for a long weekend with my boyfriend and had a great time! The hotel was clean, convenient to all of the sites in Monterey, and the staff was helpful and personable. We requested a higher floor and were given the 4th floor with the partial ocean view which was very very nice. Doors to the balcony were thick and blocked out all noise; including a wedding ceremony that took place on the deck right below our room. Valet parking was a little inconvenient because we were using our car constantly; and the cost is $25 per day, but the staff retrieved our car within minutes of any request. All in all I was very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Reviewed 18 August 2010

My wife and I had our wedding at the Intercontinental in Monterey in July of 2009. The venue was absolutely beautiful, and the view of the ocean from the courtyard is amazing. The hotel staff were very accomodating and were willing to do anything to make the wedding go perfectly, absolutely anything. The food was amazing and our guests are still taking about it a year later. The hotel's wedding/event coordinator was very knowledgeable and very helpful. I would recommend having your wedding at the Intercontinental in Monterey to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 17 August 2010

The Hotel Intercontinental was a mistake. This is a three star hotel masquerading as a 4/5* hotel. The rooms were nice but nothing special. Beds did not come close to what you sleep in at your average Marriott, we actually found them somewhat uncomfortable. Beware "Ocean View Rooms"...these are rooms that actually look out over Cannery Row or the Cannery Row businesses. At best you have a view of the innermost portion of the Bay. Food was adequate but overpriced for the quality, room service food was terrible and way overpriced.

Most significant to us, however, was the lack of professionalism among the front desk staff. It seemed like a couple college fraternity boys were working the front desk, and their lack of professionalism was stunning at a resort like this. After one guest left the front desk that clearly seemed to have a legitimate complaint, we overhead two of them making fun of the guest loud enough that we could hear. The guest was professional and clearly upset about something in their room, and the front desk clerks were astonishingly unproffessional. I've received more polite and professional service at McDonald's than we received during our stay. We ended up having a problem with our room too, and the front desk clerks were ambivalent. The front desk manager, Jevon, did intervene and assist us professionally and to our satisfaction, but it took insistence on our part to get it to this level.

Overall, this hotel is clearly not worth the money. Our stay at this hotel was bookended by 2 nights at the Tickle Pink in Carmel the several nights prior, and the Grape Leaf Inn in Healdsburg. Both had nicer rooms and exceptional service, and the Tickle Pink had even nicer views for less than we paid at the Hotel Intercontinental. Our recommendation, skip this hotel and stay at Monterey Plaza or Spindrift, both are much nicer for the money.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dulacdoc
Reviewed 16 August 2010

It's unfortunate that I feel the need to write this review but when the GM (John I believe) was flat out rude to me it deems it nessisary. The staff, both service and wait were fantastic and the accommodations were top notch, but when your approached in a judgmental way (I have both arms tattooed and noticed his curled lip as he looked me over) told to no only remove my foot from a natural place to place your foot In the wait area but also treated in a unprofessional way it needs to be noted. So, as these reviews are looked at as a group (as the other employees told me they were) hopefully he looks In the mirror and remembers to practice what he surely preaches to his employees about treating customers with dignity and class is something you do even if you think your above it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
8  Thank HotRodDennis
Reviewed 11 August 2010

THe hotel is nicely located at the heart of the 'tourist trap centre' that Monterey really is. The restaurant serves good food and the hotel is beautifully decorated. The gym is well equipped, the pool is a laugh (two meters wide or so). What I found horrible in cheap hotels, I experienced here, and the Monterey Interconti is not cheap. I woke up at night, drowning in sweat. To my horror, there was a plastic cover under the top sheet of linen. I do not understand why hotels with any class and not situated in a 'rent room per hour' district should have plastic covers. It is the apotheoses of cheap. The other minus was a unfriendly, grumpy staff member of the front office desk. All in all, when in Monterey, this hotel is really one of the best, but take the plastic of the mattress immediately.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Only open for 2 years, this is by far the most beautiful hotel in Monterey. It is quite large, but the architecture fits into the rest of the city. The bar and restaurant have long, floor to ceiling windows that look out over the water. Our room was simply huge, with a kingsized bed, sitting area and tumbled marble bathroom. Exquisite.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We had a corner suite which was very nice except for the weather but you can't blame the hotel for that. I just found it all a little too new and cold...cold in the sense of austere and not inviting. I was disappointed that the tub was not cleaned and the bath products not replaced the second day and I found the staff to be just o.k. So nothing was bad, I guess I just had higher expectation for such an expensive place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple