“So Much Fun and Information !”

Monterey Movie Tours
Ranked #7 of 41 Tours in Monterey
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I loved the Monterey Movie Tour. I had such a great time watching the movie clips on the bus monitor and then looking out the window to see the exact scene in front of my eyes. Doug had so much information about the area and the movie clips I could have stayed on the tour for another three hours. A must do for all who visit the area!

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to go check the Monterey Movie Tours out, me being a Monterey resident. And just to tell you I AM GLAD I DID! It was GREAT! Never knew that there were so many movies done in my home place. Doug, the owner of the Movie tours, was our driver that day. And Boy o Boy you WANT him to be the driver. He was Fun, Out going, Very Informative about EVERYTHING in the area that even some of the locals here don't know about! He's all around An AMAZING guy. I had fun. I can't wait to go again. But next time. I would like to bring a big group with me. Go take the tour!

1  Thank Da_Father
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Have you ever been on the "Great Movie Ride" at Disney's Hollywood Studios? Well, this is better! You are expertly guided through the streets of Monterey, Carmel, and the 17 Mile Drive by Doug your tour guide. Doug masterfully narrates this tour and blends in movie clips timed perfectly as he stops in front of the landmark from various movies (i.e. A Summer Place, Play Misty For Me, and dozens of other classic movies). The bus does make several photo stops for your convenience. This is a wonderful experience and worth every penny. We're not sure if this tour would be interesting for young children, but it certainly is for the young at heart! Doug is interesting, funny, and very knowledgeable about the movies, history of the area and has great commentary on many of the actors. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I’m a fan of what most people now consider “old” movies. I adored watching The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, A Summer Place, and From Here to Eternity, to name a few. Scenes from each of these movies were filmed on the Monterey Peninsula!

Doug Lumsden, owner of Monterey Movie Tours, knew that many (now) classic Hollywood movies were filmed on location in and around Monterey over the years. He is a walking fountain of local movie lore. And he's happy to share that knowledge with you in fun and interesting ways. He melds film snippets, local color and visits to the actual filming sights into a few-hour tour that is both fun and fascinating to movie buffs.

The tour bus, a theater on wheels, has cushy seats named after stars who filmed in the area. We pulled on a set of headphones and glued our eyes to the TV screen in front of us. The theme from A Summer Place filled our ears as Doug pulled out of the Convention Center lot.

We saw locations where scenes from National Velvet (Micky Rooney and Elizabeth Taylor), Julie (Doris Day), A Summer Place (Troy Donahue and Sandra Dee), Turner & Hooch (Tom Hanks), Play Misty for Me (Clint Eastwood), and Clash By Night (Marilyn Monroe), among many others, were filmed.

The tour includes 17-Mile Drive. We stopped at The Lone Cypress, the iconic symbol of the Pebble Beach Company; drove by Spyglass Hill Golf Course, which pays tribute to the book Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson, and on to the Lodge at Pebble Beach. The private homes along the drive, many owned by the globally known rich and famous, are stunning to see.

Doug is an informative and gracious guide to all things movies in the Monterey area. It must have taken him months to match film sites to actual present-day locations. And then get permission to use the film snippets, seamlessly meld them into a "movie," write his "script" and deliver it with such panache? All I can say is, "Wow!"

Practicalities: If you take the tour, it leaves from the Monterey Conference Center. You could (for $17) park in the conference center lot, but two short blocks away is East Public Parking ($7).

For additional photos and informative please feel free to visit my blog post here: http://adventuresofamiddleagemom.com/2013/09/25/more-adventures-monterey-movie-tours/

2  Thank DarleneMAM
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My boyfriend and I did the movie tours on our day off together. It was an awesome experience. Doug, the driver and owner, was polite, knowledgable, and fun. You can tell that doing these movie tours and informing the guests of all the unique facts involving the movies filmed around the area is definitely his passion. The whole tour was perfectly paced. There are a couple different stops, and one is inside pebble beach so you can eat and shop around. Doug takes the time in the beginning to get to know everyone's name and where they are from, and just create a more of a family atmosphere for his guests. Definitely recommend doing this tour. We learned a lot, enjoyed the scenery and learned a lot about this area and the movies that have been filmed here. Doug is the best and has a passion for his work, which makes it that much better.