“Good grub”

Bayview Deli & BBQ
Ranked #227 of 311 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 24 February 2014

It's a pretty cool place, unique to the area. The food is very good. The thing you must get over is the ice cold Russians who work(own?) the place. Order something off menu and you will be chastised. Whenever I go I always order off menu just to see them get angry, it's always funny and always good.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Clam chowder was not bad, surprised it wasn't frozen. The woman that was working (not sure if she was owner) was so rude and cold she was dripping ice cycles. Will not go back.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Probably the staff is not the one of few months ago, because my experience is quite different from those already reported here.
I arrived here after diving, at about 3pm. I had a pork sandwich and a coke. The food was really good, directly home-made in front of me. The place is small but nice. I really appreciated this place, and I'll definitely go back there after my next diving at S.Carlos Beach

1  Thank Pece_77
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I'm angry about some of the reviews here. No, the owners do not bow down before you and ensure your psyche is not bruised. Instead, they pour their love and affection into the food they deliver on your plate. Where else are you going to get what is essentially a home-cooked meal on Cannery Row? They smoke their own meats, prepare Russian specialties from scratch, and even offer a lonely soul a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner with all the trimmings.

If you come here expecting someone to smile at you while asking if you'd like fries with that, this is not the place for you. But if you'd take a moment to appreciate just how much time, skill and effort went into preparing the delicious meals available to you for a reasonable price, you would realize what a special place this is.

2  Thank DaveOinSF
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stopped in for a late lunch intrigued by BBQ in California. While not necessary authentic, the BBQ was excellent. It was also a nice day so we sat outside to enjoy the sea air. We wanted BBQ and got great BBQ so the fact that the staff (I don't know if they were owners or not) couldn't have cared if they had our business was not really material to what we were looking for agree now seeing the other reviews that customer service is not their priority here.