“Disappointing to me, but apparently average to great for others.”
Review of Crystal Fish

Crystal Fish
Ranked #8 of 311 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 November 2013

As someone who loves good Japanese food, this was average or less. The only restaurant I liked in this town before has closed, so I gave Crystal Fish a try. I noticed the sushi chefs look Mexican and certainly not Japanese. I guess that explains the shell in the oysters, which a Japanese chef would never do. All 6 had shell. Also, the hot sauce (sriracha I guess) overpowered the oysters, so I couldn't taste them. I am used to Japanese chefs putting wasabi on if they think it should be there, but here I didn't see any. The ikura were fine, but sparse and the nori was soggy, even though "freshly" made. The menu was ⅔ rolls - mostly specialty rolls (i.e. not typical Japanese rolls). They did have nigiri and sashimi but not too many other typical Japanese appetizers or main plates, which I missed. We asked for clear soup (none) and then miso soup. It was on the bill but they never brought it. Service was friendly but only fair to spotty. They didn't have most of the sakes on the list. The shoyu was an odd watery consistency as if watered down. All that being said, the atmosphere was fine. Still, there is no reason for me to go back except that if there is nothing else in town, I would probably do it.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Crystal fish is a small place with limited seating. A Saturday evening wait in October stretched beyond 30 minutes. I recommend coming after the dinner rush, as the place cleared out after 8 PM. Once seated, the service was prompt & polite. We ate fried baby octopus, seaweed salad, cucumber salad, miso soup, udon noodles, tempura, and several types of sashimi and sushi. Everything tasted fresh and was beautifully plated. Super yummy and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were very hungry and looking forward to a good meal. We were very satisfied first with the excellent service given by the waitress. We did not have to wait long even though the restaurant was quite full. What I expect of a sushi restaurant is fresh fish and that's what we got and plenty of it. The wine was reasonnably priced and at the end the waitress even delicately inquired wether we had appreciated our meal. And we did appreciate. We would definetly go back any time.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I grew up a block from Japanese Center in San Francisco and have eaten sushi all over the world and when it wasn't fashionable. The sushi here is ordinary. The wait was 1:40 minutes perhaps because of many tourist reading the good reviews for this restaurant. We ordered two Tempura appetizers to start and was shocked at the small amount. Our order was extensive that included 8 different rolls...with fancy/creative names...again just ordinary. Horrible value for your money. Good thing, the service was exceptional and friendly.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

A very busy sushi establishment in the heart of Monterey. We tried a variety of maki rolls and found them just fair, nothing too special.