“Good location, big rooms, comfy bed - happy as a lark!”
Review of Cannery Row Inn

Cannery Row Inn
Ranked #42 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Rooms are big(well, coming in fm San Francisco, its a nice welcome change), beds very comfy , in room fireplace and coffee/tea making facilities. Its clean, safe - everything works - so those basic needs were met.

We're budget 'middle of the way' travelers . I was traveling with my mom and given that we;re there primarily for the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I was looking for a place that's near the aquarium yet close by to eating establishments. This hotel was well placed for that.

With my mom's knee problems, I requested at booking for a room on ground floor if the establishment does not have a lift. There was no problem at check-in (we had a nice young man attending to us). A simple continental breakfast would be laid out at lobby area - simple danishes, muffins, toast, coffee/tea/juices and fruits. There was an open air sitting area just next to lobby so guests could have their breakfast there. 2 blocks down on the next street is a row of restaurants - we had our dinner there..gd food too!

Overall, no issues if you want your basic needs met, near the main attraction and food - this is it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 July 2011

I tend to judge all budget hotels by the holiday inn type places in the UK so I wasn't very impressed. It cost us £70 which we though was pretty cheap but the whole hotel was in a bad state and desperately needs updating. The staff were very grumpy and didn't really make us feel welcome. It didn't feel as clean as it could have done and there was nowher indoors to sit and eat breakfast which I thought was very strange. The weird fire place in the room didn't really make any sense to me either. Cannery row itself is a very nice place and I would definately go back there but probably wouldn't stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Needed a cheaper place to stay on the Monterey peninsula to use as a base camp for visiting Big Sur. This place was a great value given location! Was definitely surprised at how big the room was (the vaulted ceilings helped). It was very clean and the bed was one of the more comfortable ones I've slept on in a hotel in a while. Definitely a great find for weekend or pass-through travelers. Close to everything in Monterey - we took our morning coffee down to the little beach across the street to watch the boats.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I was there on last weekend. Wasn't sure about the hotel at the beginning from the outside look whether to take it or not. It was a lil pricy for me , but I thing it's worth every penny. It is located in the center of Monterey bay, close to the shopping, dinning, and acqurium. The room was very clean and nice. I loved the room. The service was awesome. I like the two girls who work in the front desk. They were very friendly and nice. I'll definitely visit and stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The best night of sleep I've had on the Monterey Peninsula hands-down and I've stayed in quite a few different hotels over the years. The room was so quiet you wouldn't even know there were neighbors. If you're on the ocean side of the hotel you can hear the waves at night when there is little traffic. It was perfect.

The view was small, but beautiful. You can see San Carlos Park, which has a huge grassy area above the beach if sand isn't your thing you can still enjoy the water and sun here and it's right across the street. The Coast Guard Pier is also visible. Many seals hang out there, as someone else stated in their review you can hear them occasionally as well.

The Monterey Recreation Trail runs right behind the hotel and is a great way to get down the length of Cannery Row without all the bumps, cracks, and traffic. There are shops and other little tidbits, train cars, you wouldn't even know were there unless you've traveled the trail before. It's paved and a very easy walk with little stops from one end of Cannery Row to the other.

Or if walking isn't your thing, you can catch a free trolley during the summer which stops right at the hotel. It'll take you downtown and through Cannery Row.

The rooms were clean and comfy. I saw two during our stay, let me explain. We stayed at a Best Western in Carmel the night before we stayed in this hotel and it was an awful night of sleep so when I saw we had a street side room, I requested to be moved to the other side of the building to have a quieter room and ensure I got a better night of sleep. The front desk staff was more than happy to check availability and stated the same rate wasn't available, but we could upgrade for an additional $30, and we would have a view. Our street view room was $79 on a Monday night, AAA rate and even lower than the AAA Book quoted. We called the morning we planned to arrive to make our reservation though, which might be why the rate was so low. Our upgraded room was $109 for the night before taxes.

I also asked the front desk staff about using a computer to print and they were more than happy to accommodate.

The continental breakfast is expanded with the usual cold cereal, pastries, coffee, and juice, but also includes waffles and fresh fruit.

The only negative: Upon check out that staff member was too busy on her phone to even acknowledge I was standing there. I had to say excuse me after 30 seconds or so because she had no clue I was even there.

I will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Ocean side of the building
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed at the Cannery Row Inn for 2 nights.

The front desk staff were very disinterested and borderline rude - didn't smile once when checking us in and ordering us a cab one evening seemed like a huge hassle. We paid for an upgrade which the attendant grudgingly offered.

The rooms in the Cannery Row Inn are very nice, with the biggest beds I have ever seen in my life! The exposed oak beams were beautiful, and there was a gas fireplace as well.

The bathrooms were spacious and clean but the shower nozzle very low - I'm 5'8 (so not huge) and had to crouch slightly to shower!

It's definitely worth paying for an ocean view room - the view is spectacular and you can hear seals baying at night.

Everything is very close to the hotel, all the tourist destinations are walking distance and there is a very good bike hire shop near the hotel (Adventures By The Sea) - a bike ride up to Spanish Inn is a must.

All in all I enjoyed our stay at Cannery Row Inn, but the attitude of the front desk staff definitely put a slight dampener on it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We had a huge room, with fireplace, sea-view and balcony - really nice beds and only paid $ 85. Great value! A short walk from the main street - free parking and breakfast (usual stuff, good!)
The rooms are a lot better than the hallway, which are rather worn out.
would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple