“Not Horrible”

Ranked #44 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Santa Barbara, California
“Not Horrible”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Walking from the parking lot, along the carpeted outdoor hallways that smelled heavily of mildew, to our room, I had a bad feeling. However, once inside, things started looking up. This is no luxury hotel. Nor is it a nicer than average motel. It's really just OK. But considering the price and location, I was fine with our choice. The best thing I can say is that the rooms were incredibly clean. That's very important to me. So hats off to the maids for doing a great job with what they have. Also, the staff were all very nice. The rooms were large and the bed linens were newer and comfortable. It's just not a place you'd want to hang out in for very long. All in all, it was a good deal and... "not horrible".

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor with vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CER63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

This place is your basic mom & pop super 8 type place. Very average, with one exception mentioned by other reviewers - the location. Walking distance to everything. It is not really on Cannery Row, and no real ocean views. One huge issue which irritated me is not the hotel's fault, but beware nontheless: I purchased our 2 night stay on Groupon (thinking it was really one of those nice 3-4 star Cannery Row hotels) for $200. Turns out, if I bought the exact same package on booking.com a few days prior to the trip it was $130. I wouldn't particularly recommend this place, or at least shop around more. Little things like your key card works 2 or 3 times, then constantly needs to be reset by the front desk. The fireplace only stays on about 5 min, then cycles on and off. Rooms are not soundproof..... you get the picture.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff H

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We are a family of 4 adults and we stayed 1 night in the family suite. It was very good. The suite consisted of 2 rooms. Our kids had a double bed each and we were in the adjoining room which had the bathroom in it. The kids room which was very large and ours was smaller. There was a fireplace in the first room with the 2 doubles and a table and chairs as well.
The breakfast was simple and included in the tariff which was only $147. It is a nice walk flat around to Cannery Row and 1 block back from the water.
The room was very clean and comfortable...we all had a great night's sleep. It is not modern, so if you want that book elsewhere but be prepared to part with a lot more money!
I thought it was great value and the fact you can walk to Cannery Row was a bonus.
I would highly recommend the Cannery Row Inn!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Wardy09
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

The location is great for people coming in from out of town, but I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you can find a very low price. Not much privacy in most rooms and you will definitely get street noise from the road if staying on the non-water facing side.

• Stayed February 2012
Catheys Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

My wife and I spent one night here for a romantic gettaway. For the price wasnt bad ,had a really cool fireplace that you could manually turn on and a small balcony that overlooked a walkway/bike path.In the morning they had coffee and donuts for us in the office.bed was good but the room a little small but for the money it was great. Good parking too. Would stay there again in the future.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank JimiWatts
Morro Bay, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Don't stay here- listen to my review and save yourself grief! we got a coupon on groupon, bad move, First off, hallways look like a horror movie, room walls were dirty. TV made a ringing noise in our room and fridge dripped water noise all night long i tried calling the front desk no one picked up the phone, glad to know if you have an emergency that they are there, ha! And the big kicker...when we checked in, they asked for card and drivers license, we checked out next day at the front desk and about three hours later the hotel calls our cell and said the maid found my license in the room, i never took it to the room, they just didn't give it back and the girl at the front desk said we would have to charge you to mail it back, i said it can be put in an envelope with a 45 cent stamp are you kidding me? Especially when they never gave it back and had two opportunities to do so, So its obvious they make moeny doing this to clients. The hotels response was the supervisor was sick and not available and manager wouldn't call me until they came in at 3, Really? Don't put yourself thru any kind of hell, this place is bad news - i cant imagine me telling my bride that, that is beyond horrible service and this place deserves to close down.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank teresavigil
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Let's start with the pros: Location. Close to the beach & A few minutes walk from Cannery row. That's it...

Cons are: Old & outdated rooms..Looks ok from the street. Bed was OK & found no bedbugs!! I did look per other reviews.Bathroom is large but toilet is made for small people. Sink was loose & wanting to come off the wall, needs re-securing. Shower was weak & didn't spray well. Refrigerator was noisy as was the gas fireplace. Has thin walls, can hear other people & noise from room above when people were walking around. Gap at the bottom of front door let in COLD air!! Breakfast in am is melon slices, cereal, coffee & day old muffins.

I wish they would update the place & charge more $$$. I would give this place a small step up from a Motel 6... I would prefer to pay more & stay at a little Classier place...If I HAD to stay here again, I would... but I would not return if there was somewhere else nicer to stay....

Not a terrible place, but just not for me...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family