“Old school hotel a winner”

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
Ranked #22 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Napa, California
“Old school hotel a winner”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Nice grounds, comfortable rooms, feel of open space. We had an issue with our room and the manager, Joelle, worked hard to come to a generous solution. Regency room staff very accommodating. Will be back.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Attended a three-day conference with approximately 500 other attendees. The hotel has a large conference center that is situated towards the freeway, with additional smaller conference rooms (3) by the bar off of the main lobby area. There was also another conference going, so there were at least 600 people fort he conference facilities. Stayed in building 8, even numbered room/suite overlooking the golf course. it had a sliding glass door and small patio and was quite lovely with the surrounding greens...and occasional golfer. Many of the rooms in the low-slung buildings across this large property had greens views, however just as many faced the parking lot , or bordered the freeway. Tip: Inquire about the actual view, as it does matter. Other attendees who stayed near the freeway did sayt hqt it was quiet, however, inside the room. There is a shuttle from the close by regional airport which is very convenient. You do need a car-- or taxi-- to get to Cannery row, restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: Inquire about location...golf course vs parking lot vs freeway facing
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here after a long trip from the east to west coast. We had a nice room with a balcony overlooking the pool which was absolutely perfect to wake up to in the morning. The bathroom was very nice and large. While we didn't get to explore much, the grounds seemed lovely with the fire pit at night and a great view of the course on the walk from the lobby in the morning. The lobby was a nice spot for a drink or two at night as well. We chose the room/breakfast/aquarium deal which was great for us. The breakfast was definitely satisfying. In the room, the built-in AC unit/dehumidifier was a bit odd, but we did use it to cool the room down overnight. Would've loved another night to enjoy the fire pit and to play some ping pong! Only complaint is that I think the bed was a bit lopsided. After twelve hours of travel though, we didn't care. We would stay here again as it's only a short 5-10 minute drive to the main streets in Monterey, and I would much prefer staying at this lovely property over staying "downtown."

Room Tip: Request a top floor room facing pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
HRMontereyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear LSB906,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recommendation! I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your room and the aquarium package – the Monterey Bay Aquarium is definitely a must see! I hope we see you again soon!

Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Hyatt Regency had a beautiful lobby and well manicured grounds. However, the room we stayed in had scuff marks on the furniture, and the shower was very small. It was supposed to be a handicapped shower, so I would have imagined it would be a little more spacious. (On a plus side, the shower head was maneuverable, so it could be removed from the holder on the wall, and the shampoo/soap smelled good). The comforter on the bed was lumpy, as if it had been washed too many times. I absolutely loved the city of Monterey and hope to return soon. However, I will not stay at the Hyatt. FYI: there is hidden resort fees.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Future_DOs_on_the_go,

I want to thank you for providing feedback concerning your recent visit. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby and the landscaping around property. Our engineering team works hard to keep these areas looking beautiful and I will be sure to share your kind comments with them! Thank you for bringing the furniture marks and comforter issue to our attention. We are constantly making improvements to our property and information coming directly from our guests is very valuable. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I am really late with my review, but last July I decided to take my wife and niece away to Moneterey to beat the summer heat in Sacramento. My wife and I stay several times a year in Monterey/Carmerel. I did Hotwire and was realy excited to get what I thought was a good deal on the Hyatt. We took are dog because when I booked the Hyatt as a mystery hotel, it showed as a pet friendly. Little did I know that this was going to double my price and require a pet deposit!!

The worse part is that once we checked into the room, there were toys and garbage left in the room by the previous guest. There was a spilled water bottle from a previous guest left behind the sliding glass door blinds, and dirt on the floor in the bathroom. I even found a cheese stick and crushed trail mix in one of the dresser drawers. I made the mistake of leaving my clothes I was changing out of on the ground. When I picked them up to put them away my white shirt was stained.

When I reported this to the staff, they were very rude. I am not the type to write a review but, several months after staying there I am still angry. Do not stay here!! I ussually stay at other Hyatt's for business trips but I am trying to avoid them after my experience. Very unclean!!!! There are many, many better options in Monterey!

Room Tip: Pick a different property
Green Features: Should warn people using Hotwire of costs in advance. Price doubled!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Gary B
Dear Gary B,

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I am disheartened to hear that your stay was not enjoyable and I want to sincerely apologize for the missteps in service that you experienced. Please trust that I will address your concerns with our staff. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and regain your confidence.

Steve

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute and was happy to get a room. It was already dark when we arrived so I did not get to experience the grounds. The room was clean and fresh but in the back on the resort. Each of the buildings is motel-style so we faced the parking lot. I wasn't crazy about it, but it was quiet enough. The bathroom was quite small with no fan so we had to open a window after showering, which gave anyone walking by full view of the bathroom. Overall adequate but not a great stay. Also, the resort is very dated and in need of a major overhaul.

Room Tip: Look for something away from the road that leads to the resort.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GaPO
HRMontereyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear GaPO,

Thank you for taking a moment to post on TripAdvisor. I have forwarded your review to our housekeeping team who work hard to keep our hotel looking “clean and fresh”! While I understand the horizontal layout of our hotel is not for everyone, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again and you are able to enjoy the grounds surrounding the hotel. The 22 acres the hotel rests on look especially beautiful in spring and summer!

Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel is quiet and relaxing with nice views of the golf course and hills behind it (Im not into golf, but this golf course is surprisingly pretty). Good wine selection. I loved the restaurant with their focus on local and organic, their salads and breakfast are delicious. Location is walking distance across the Naval Postgraduate School, which is great if you have meetings there like I did. Its a short drive into the main areas of Monterey, and 10 min from the regional airport.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business