Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston
“Decent.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

In order of best to worst -- Golf course is attractive; rooms are average; noise is prevalent, and the morning breakfast routine needs some serious attention.

We stayed here for three nights in June; it was our third Hyatt property in as many months. Because of our platinum status (which is only mid-tier), we were upgraded to a "golf-course view," which was actually quite nice. Our south facing room overlooked the thirteenth hole. Absolutely no complaints about the view. The room is in-line with recent Hyatt refreshes -- lots of wood paneling, LED reading lights, good accessibility to lots of power plugs, and good storage space. Hyatt knows how to make a functional room, and this hotel is no exception. The bathroom was pretty roomy, and I liked that it was shower-only, which meant that it was spacious and had nice tile-work. The shower did only have a half-glass wall, but I didn't have any problems with splashing water. However, the water temperature was much more difficult to regulate compared to big, urban hotels where the heat is instantaneous and constant.

The rooms were somewhat noisy. Fortunately, the noise was mostly from loud children in the hallway, and we generally went to bed after they did and awoke around the same time. However, I could see hallway noise being very problematic. To the hotel's credit, there are many signs asking patrons to be quiet between 9am and 9pm. Also, if you sleep better with a little white noise, the ceiling fans help drown out disturbances.

My only real "issue" was with breakfast at the hotel. In short, it's not worth paying for. We had to wait 20 minutes to be seated on a Saturday morning. I've probably stayed at 50 different Hyatts, Westins, and Marriotts over the last few years, and I've never been handed a buzzer a la Red Lobster and been asked to wait for breakfast. To make matters worse, breakfast wasn't that good. I chose the buffet and it was merely average -- omelette station, scrambled eggs, bacon, breads, melons (no berries or citrus). At $22, it's not the most expensive buffet breakfast I've had, but it had an overall quality of a Carnival cruise. Well, that's not fair...Carnival has more variety but ever so slightly lower quality. I only saw the waiter twice since the place was so busy I assume.

Finally, I'm not sure what the $20 a day resort fee buys (note that Platinum guests only pay $10 since wi-fi is free anytime). I assume it pays for wi-fi and valet parking. However, the other "resort" features all had fees attached -- golf, tennis, spa -- even the lobby business center charges to use the computer and print (this was surprising -- apparently the first five minutes and 2 pages are free, but you have to swipe a card to access the computer; as a rule; I don't swipe my credit card into third-party hotel tech vendor terminals). Well, in fact, the for-charge business center really annoyed me. The one time I needed to use a printer in five years, I stay at the one hotel that still charges for it.

My experience with the staff was normal, which is to say mostly pleasant. My folio reflected 2x "resort fees," which were promptly removed by the hotel operator -- which actually was odd. The operator wouldn't connect me to the front desk, because I assume they were busy. But her initial response of, "what do you need?" was odd in that I felt like I was at a call center where you have to say the right phrase to get through to a person who can actually help. However, she actually was able to help...

Overall, I had a fine time; I wasn't there very much. But I probably wouldn't go back. As an aside, I really enjoyed my stay earlier in the week at the Grand Hyatt Union Square in San Francisco.

Room Tip: For a quiet room and serene view, ask for a golf-course view away from families.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shellzj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

When I walked into my room I was expecting luxury. The decor looked cheap. I had expected a beautiful view. What I got was a view from the 4th floor of a parking lot, a tree, and dead branches on the ground. The cordless phone was filthy. For the shower, there was just a sheet of glass half the length of the shower instead of a door or curtain. I made certain the 3 mornings I was there that I was awake before I got into the shower, so that I could keep the water in the shower and not on the bathroom floor. On the morning we left, I felt we were in a truck stop because starting before 7:30am big, noisy trucks started coming in below my window. I would never stay here again, and I would tell people about the truly luxurious hotels and motels in the area. The staff members I met were very nice, but they couldn't make up for the disappointment I felt.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The best part about this hotel is the landscaping, night time lighting and soft music. It really creates a nice vibe and makes it a classy place to stay.

The breakfast is very good with lots of options, the sports bar doesn't have great food and for dinner they don't have many gluten free options, but it looks good if you like Italian.

Other than that it's a pretty standard room with nothing special or bad. The golf course view is very nice to wake up to.

I have stayed here many times and the staff is very friendly.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here for one night. We were checked in by a lovely guy who was very welcoming. Our assigned room wasn't ready but he quickly found us another. After a week of driving we were exhausted and didn't really want to leave for dinner or drinks. We did not need to. Lovely service of food and drinks by the fireplace, the pub in the hotel was great for a couple of drinks and more snacks. Great pool and spa as well. Beautiful golf course as the back drop, was a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HRMontereyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Michelle B,

Thank you for posting your comments online. I love hearing about our “great staff” and I’m happy our Front Desk team was welcoming and helpful. I’m also glad you were able to enjoy our Knuckles Sports Bar. It’s been voted the Best Sports Bar in Monterey County 11 years in a row! I hope we see you again whenever your travels bring you back to the area!

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Monterey for 4 nights and had a relaxing time. The sprawling hotel is situated on a golf course about 2 miles from the touristy Fishermans Wharf. Rooms are large and beds are comfortable. Staff is very attentive and helpful. There are tennis courts, pool, fire pit (where S'mores can be made) and hot tub. Somewhat expensive with the $20 resort fee but that includes WiFi.

Room Tip: Our room was near the lobby and very convenient to breakfast.
Green Features: Recycle bins are everywhere. Water is precious so towels are only replace if asked.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Robert M,

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of the amenities our hotel and Monterey has to offer! You’re correct, the resort fee includes WiFi. It also includes our 24-Hour StayFit gym, valet and self-parking, transportation to the airport and Fisherman’s Wharf, etc. that many hotels charge separately for. Please come back and visit us again soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel was very nice, but middling considering the price and the other options in the area. It's very good when you manage your expectations accordingly. First, it is a ten+ minute drive from all of the Monterey attractions like the aquarium, but it's happily also a fifteen minute drive to Carmel by the Sea. You're situated more by suburban shopping and restaurants. Second, I was a bit disappointed by our room as it was spacious and clean but it had a parking lot view. (Who would use the balcony??) Third, the "resort" aspect is nice, with multiple buildings, restaurants, bars, etc., but some of the property is looking a bit worn. For example, you walk to the building where your room is located, and the outer stairs are dirty with random vending machines. The bathrooms appear to be updated, and the gold course surrounding the hotel is very soothing, but I'm not sure I would stay again considering the other options in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid the fairly noisy parking lot view rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
kerry, ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was very apprehensive about my stay in this hotel as a result of reading past reviews. When we arrived the hotel looked really well kept, we were greeted by joe the receptionist. He was fantastic the nicest one I have met on my travels. Gave us discount cards for local restaurants, a quiet room overlooking the parking lot and not the road and was exceptionally cheery and friendly. Our room is fabulous big screen tv, marble shower and 2 huge beds. I could not fault it one bit. The whole place looks much better in reality than in the pictures. It has a 24 hour gym and hot tubs and pools you can use at night. Stay here

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank maria m
Dear Maria M,

Thank you for taking a moment to post your recommendation online. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our StayFit gym as well at the Jacuzzis and pools. I hope we see you again soon!