Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
GreenLeadersSilver level
Woodside, California
“Old”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place has a real 70s vibe and it doesn't really feel like it has been updated much since.

We laughed when we found that the in-room "air conditioning" was a free standing unit like you can buy at Home Depot, which a pipe which goes through the wall to the outside.

Other furniture in the room was old and wearing out. The TV stand was battered and scratched, and the power sockets on top of the desk, while functional, lifted clean out of the desk when you tried to lift the lid, which didn't feel very safe.

Some of the light switches are installed upside-down, briefly confusing, and the control for the overhead fan goes from "1" to "5", but "1" is the fastest and "5" is the slowest. Baffling.

Surprisingly there appears to be no lock on the bathroom door.

On a positive note, the room was clean and the front desk service was fast and polite. Our room had a view of the golf course, which was pretty.

It was hard to find a parking spot in the evening, most were taken so we could't get one near the room. Valet parking is apparently free though we didn't try it.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the golf course have the best view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The staff is absolutely wonderful, which more than enough makes up for the age of the complex. Give it a try, you will not be terribly disappointed. The location is far enough away to be somewhat quiet, but close enough to get to the beach for a little fun.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Westlake Village, California, USA
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Hyatt Regency was known for great places to stay. Some improvements in the rooms and an awesome staff made up for this property that over the years had one got aged. The staff made the stay as they were very helpful and friendly. Got aquarium tickets for two days of use for one day price and did not have to wait in lines to get tickets. Grounds were clean and room had a nice bathroom. Air conditioning unit was noisy but appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HRMontereyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear SimpleGuy145,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts. It will be a pleasure to relay your comments to our “very helpful and friendly” staff. I am glad we were able to assist you in making your trip to the aquarium a more convenient experience. I hope we are given the opportunity to host you and your family again soon.
All the best,
Steve
Munich
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review as being a 5 year diamond member of Hyatt, so I have seen lots of their properties. Main downside is: NO AIRCON. They provide standalone models, where only some of them work properly. The standalones are also so noisy, that you have to turn them off at night, turning the room into a sauna within minutes. Keeping the doors open is also not an option, as then the people walking by at night will keep you awake. Hiding such a fact is not at all acceptable at a property charging such high rates.

On top: if you tell them at check out about the problems you had during the stay, they just don't care. An experience I didn't have before, at least at a Hyatt.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bho06
Dear Bho06,
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. Its comments like yours that help us to continually improve our property. Like most of the hotels on the peninsula we were not built with air conditioning due to the generally mild climate. We are currently experimenting with freestanding air conditioning units. I have relayed your concerns to our team and I hope we are able to welcome you back in the future.
All the best,
Steve

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Woodland, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am a very frustrated client due our experience (me and my wife) during recent and second visit at Hyatt Regency Monterey. First, were put in a hot, humid, stuffy room without an Air condition system overlooking a busy street (actually it was roon 2128). We were rudely shocked by the way the attendant/receptionist (by the name Andrew) approached us like we were lost and didnt deserve to be there. He casually walked towards us and askes us in a cold vibe "how can i help you" which is ok, but his tone and approach left so much to be desired. Honestly we felt profiled!!! Then he checked us into that homeless like shelter room without AC and when we checked into the room and found out that it was a room with a double bed, I called the reception only to be told that he cant help us and that we were supposed to be in a double bed room. I didnt want to argue coz it is not in my nature to argue. We sat in the room for about 15-20 minutes trying to figure out whether we should leave and go look for another hotel nearby of just go home and forget about our anniversary. Luckily, my wife gathered her wits and guts and called the reception again and time they told her that it wasnt possible and that they will get us a fan to cool the room. After a few minutes, a very courteous guy in blue uniform walks in to our room with a fan and in utter shock he offered and suggested to open the sliding door and the cool breeze filles our room with cool air. After a while my wife calls again and we were told that we could be moved to a disabled room with a king bed sisnce we had booked for a room bed. Eventually we were moved to room 712 which was much better and overlooking the golf course. Then came the check out date, i met another kind and reasonable receptionist by the name Donald-an elderly guy (luckily Andrew was not there)...and after i told him of our ugly one day ordeal, he told me he would give us a $22.00 credit. Before i forget, we were also offered a free breakfast which we turned down and didnt show up for coz we felt like it was an insult. I remember Mr Donald asking me if we had our free breakfast and told him not and the reason why. Then as if the drama was not over, four days after, i learn that i had been charged twice and i call the account department. I spoke with a guy who identified himself aa ben who denied seeing one transaction in question for over $ 160.00 and told me to contact my bank. I contacted my bank and the bank agent called the accounts dept who kept us in hold without picking up the call. Currently, we have a claim pending. This was my secind time here and to be honest, i went back for a second time coz of the experiene i had the first time i went there. It was a great experience especially the spa which i also visited this time, my son loved the swiming pool and all...However, it was the second n possibly the last visit that left me baffled. As an events organizer in my church, this hotel was the first choice for our upcoming summer vacations-getaways, but now that seems like a bad,terrible, scary idea. You guys really dampened my spirit :-( :-(

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Wakababu
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 23 July 2014

once we found the hotel all was great. We paid extra for the regency club access and our room was just along the corridor from this. This means inclusive soft drinks, hot beverages, reduced price alcohol between 5-7.30 and a good continental breakfast, snacks and a good selection of nibbles and desserts.
the room was very comfortable and the pool area was right outside our room. there were quite a few families staying there, so may not be your thing.
the fireplace lounge has live jazz playing on Friday and Saturday evenings and serves lighter food but it was a bit lacking in atmosphere to my mind.
You will need to drive into town, nothing in immediate area. You are very near highway 1 but we were in block 5 and were not troubled by any noise.
Overall a good choice. I also used the spa where Candie did an excellent jobs on my nails.

Room Tip: blocks 4 and 5 , near pool and main hotel restaurants etc and away from highway.
Green Features: Making efforts to conserve water and recycling bins in rooms but lots of paper cups rather than a reusable glass
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

As we drove in I noticed building after building of rooms. When we walked into the lobby we were greeted warmly and the staff checked us in quickly. When we walked out back to looked around I was shocked to see lots of people in a small fenced in pool area. Just like a motel. I could not believe that they were calling themselves a Hyatt Regency! We go to look at our rooms which on the way there I noticed that some of the doors are facing the parking area just like a motel. The rooms were no surprise by then. They looked like a motel room! I was shocked that they would charge over $100 per night for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014