Hotel Abrego(Monterey)
US$325
US$386
US$371
  • Restaurant
The Stevenson Monterey(Monterey)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$176
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$249/night.

Monterey Hotel(Monterey)
US$175
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$206/night.

Lone Oak Lodge(Monterey)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$174
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$202/night.

Monterey Bay Lodge(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$214
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$268/night.

Free cancellation until 25/07
US$337
US$312
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$368/night.

US$397
US$319
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$486/night.

3,852 results
All reviewssports barping pongfireplace loungefire pitconference centerpebble beachbig surminute drivecannery rowfisherman's wharfknucklecaliforniahwyaquariumcoastvalet
Reviewed 2 August 2004

Stayed at this hotel in July and was surprised to see that they don't offer air conditioning! All balconies are private and, yes, with the climate in California mornings and evenings are very cool, so if you open your balcony door & pull the screen door closed, there is a very strong breeze that is cool -- even cold at night, but I didn't feel I could leave the door open all night for security reasons while sleeping and it got very stuffy during the night. Older property so it's starting to show it's age, but overall not bad. Came back from Big Sur late and had to park 4 buildings over because all parking was full. Booked through Priceline and got a decent rate, which is the only saving grace.

Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 1 August 2004

My husband and I had stayed at this Hyatt back in 1998 (for a conference) and thought it was nice then, so when we found ourself needing a room in Monterey this past February we booked a night. If any renovations were done between 1998 and 2004 we couldn't see them. This is a conference hotel so the parking lot is PACKED. Good luck if you are laden with luggage and a small child, as we were. You will be lucky to find a parking space.

The front desk staff were rushed and probably the least courteous of any front desk staff I have ever dealt with (that includes snooty Parisian clerks). When checking in, I specifically asked the clerk if our room faced the parking lot or the golf course, because I wouldn't accept a ground floor room facing the parking lot--she promised it faced the golf course. A lie! I promptly went back to the front desk, and told them the ground floor room faced the parking lot (and was on the end of the building) was unacceptable. We received very poor treatment. They refused to move us, saying they were fully booked, so we ended up staying. What a mistake!

The room was so shabby and gross (mystery stains and smells on the walls, ceilings, etc.) that we didn't want to stay at all. We didn't unpack (frankly, we didn't want our clothes to touch the bedspread, which didn't look clean at all), and we took probably the quickest showers we have ever taken in a hotel (the shower was utterly tacky, and the ceiling of the bathroom was stained throughout). The towels were very thin and substandard--fortunately the linen cart was nearby, and a staff member gave us a couple of extra ones.

As if the noise and headlights from the parking lot weren't enough to prevent us from falling asleep, we heard a mystery noise (hard to describe--kind of like a corkscrew) throughout the night--perhaps it was the water heater for the unit upstairs. It was one of the worst nights we have ever spent in a hotel.

It was so tacky that the furniture console in the room used to be a mini-bar--you could see the hinges--but it was screwed shut by the hotel! There was no glass pot for the coffee maker. The soap and shampoo were just placed on the formica bathroom counter--not even a little paper coaster or basket underneath it. Another reviewer mentioned the artwork on the wall--there was a dead moth prominently stuck in the "artwork" poster right outside of our door. The lock on the door did not work very well, either.

We would have slept better in a Comfort Inn--at least we would know what we were getting for our money. We have stayed at Hyatts in several states (we honeymooned at the gorgeous Hyatt in Kauaii), so we always thought that a Hyatt "Regency" was a step above a regular Hyatt, which we have found to be decent. Hyatt should seriously think of dumping its name from this dump of a property.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 July 2004

We were, as most reviewers, highly worried about going to this hotel after reading all the reviews. Unfortunately, I cannot agree with more recent, positive reviews. We stayed at the Hyatt for two nights in July. Service upon check-in was downright rude, with receptionists yelling NEXT! when available. The lobby is ok, with a nice fireplace. We were in building number 10, overlooking the golf course. You could almost hear the building sigh because everything was so old. The rooms do not have airconditioning. The bed was hard as a rock, bathrooms were very basic with very harsh lights. Everything looked worn and in desperate need of refurbishment. Not at all an ambiance you expect at a Hyatt Regency. Advantage of overlooking the golf course is that the room is quiet. I have read the different reviews and it seems that the quality of the rooms differs per building. Curious are also the remarks about the English of the staff. Although we did not experience this as a problem at the reception, some of the staff at breakfast could hardly be understood both because of their language capabilities and their rush / lack of attention. Concluding, I would still advise against staying at this hotel. As an overnight stay at a good price it's ok if you don't expect too much, but as a destination for a vacation I would go someplace else.

• Stayed: January 2005
1  Thank HotelReviewer83
The Sea Ranch, CA
Reviewed 26 July 2004

We too were worried when I learned that my Priceline bid was putting us at the Hyatt. Are those bad reviews posted here written by the competition or what? We had two rooms, one on each side of the hallway. We paid $80 each and got our request for king beds, no smoking, in a quiet area. One room overlooked the parking lot and one was toward the highway. The only noise was from the little maintenance truck that went through the lot in the morning and from guests yelling to each other in the parking lot at night while our balcony door was open. With the door shut there was no noise. We heard only minimal noise from the adjoining room, and that was only in the bathroom. With the door closed I just turned on the super-quiet ceiling fan and we slept in comfort all night.

The furnishings were very nice, not shabby. The room was oversized. Even a nice framed print in the bathroom. The quality of the sheets was above average (high thread count, not musty) and unlike cheap motels, there was even a top sheet over the blanket.

We told them we didn't want their water or telephone and they quickly waived the normal $10 resort fee. I overhead one of the staff at the reception desk returning a found item to someone, speaking a language I didn't recognize. All of the staff was very gracious and helpful.

Twenty years ago this hotel was the Mark Thomas. It is a large conference hotel with many buildings set amid huge beautiful oak trees. It is very convenient to the highway and the aquarium.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the elevator is shared by two buildings, so it wasn't in our own builiding but it was not that long of a walk. The hallway carpeting is not new but is clean and not threadbare and quite beautiful.

You could get a room at the Day's Inn through someplace like Expedia and pay about the same but you wouldn't have a gorgeous reception building or the landscaping and quality of service that this hotel offers. Even the parking stalls seemed oversized and there was plenty available. We were all very happy with our choice and would stay there again in a flash. Want to stay in a new but very cheap plastic hotel, or an older large beautiful hotel? Each to his own, but we'll definitely choose this one again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 July 2004

I was so afraid to get to my room at the Hyatt. I had read so many bad things on this site, that I didn't know what to expect. We had a wonderful time. I had called in a few days ahead requesting the bed type I wanted. We got in late... by this time REALLY worried. The check in was great. My room was upgraded. The buildings are older, but everything I saw was spotless, and updated. The room was great, the beds were comfortable. and clean. I was not at all disapointed. The pools were very nice. Plenty of towels. Ping pong, a gazebo with a fire pit all added to the fun. I got a great price on line...better than rack prices. EVERYONE was exceptionally nice and helpful. My battery went dead, and the bellman got it charged for me. I don't know what the complaint about no one speaking English was about. The majority of employees I saw, were right here from the USofA. I didn't pass one of the employees, from the front desk, to the gardners without getting a Hello. We had breakfast the last morning in the hotel resaurant. The food was good. I thought a little high in price, but the coupons they had given us, made the meals reasonable. I will definitely go back to this hotel. The only noise we had, was the hallway noise. That is common in older hotels. There are only a few rooms on each floor, so there wasn't all that much noise. Hallways were a little musty, but that is the way things are in a climate so close to the ocean. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2004