“It was okay, but it was not what I expected with the HYATT name”

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 October 2004

We were there from Monday through Wednesday for a golf tournament that my girlfriend was in. Her parents came along to get away for a little bit. I was there with her parents while she was golfing in the tournament.

On the good side:

1. All service was prompt, friendly, generous with their time and always made sure we were comfortable.
2. The cafe and restaurant were good. Reasonable prices (most of it) and great-tasting food. Service was always excellent. Overall, everyone was friendly, satisfying with our needs and always smiling.
3. Room services were prompt and delicious. A lot of services fees but worth it when you want to stay in the room.
4. They have fans in the room. They don't have air conditioning, but the fans help when it gets a little warm.

On the Not-So-Good Side:

1. Confusing directions when you get off the highway unless you're going with someone who knows where it is at.
2. Rooms were okay. Unfortunately we didn't get a room facing the golf course, plus we were on the first floor so I didn't like it. I would have preferred to stay on the 2nd or the 3rd floor [3 floors max.] facing the golf course.
3. I have stayed in other Hyatt Hotels, this one in Monterey is okay by appearance, I think they need to renovate the hotel just a bit especially with the rooms with their radio, television, and layout the room and windows. It just didn't feel the same as other Hyatt Hotels.
4. Not enough of handicap parking. My girlfriend's parents are disabled and they only had 2 handicap parking lots near the parents' room.

Reviewed 5 October 2004

I have read many reviews of the Hyatt and find them to be mostly unfair and over-exaggerated.

I recently had my wedding reception held at the Hyatt and I have to say the Hyatt MET and EXCEED ALL of our expectations. I found the service to be outstanding and the food to be excellent.

Many, if not all, of the rooms have been renovated, which makes for a very pleasant stay. The hotel is centrally located, making it easy for tourists (which many of our guests were) to explore all of Monterey.

The scenery is beautiful, as the hotel is nestled among monterey cypress and pine trees, only minutes from the beach.

As for the General Manager, Michael Koffler did a fantastic job catering to any and all of our needs. In fact, he went to so far as to upgrade several "important" guests (father of the bride) at no charge. Like anyone, treat a person with respect and they will treat you with respect.

Overall, I could not have asked for a more enjoyable experience, THE BEST VALUE FOR A WEDDING RECEPTION ON THE MONTEREY PENINSULA!

• Stayed: October 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 September 2004

If you get a good price through Priceline (ours was $65 in August) then this is a good place to stay. We read the reviews and went thinking it was going to be awful. I did request upon check in that we have a quiet rom, away from the pool and the freeway and on the top story. Our room worked out fine in Building 12. There is no AC but we did not need it and left the window open. Of course I would not do this if on the bottom floor. The lobby etc was very pretty. The staff we found very friendly. Knuckles was a typical soprts bar, noisy and crowded and yes everyone through their peanut shells on the floor but we have seen that at other places too. The $11 resort tax is a rip off but we stocked up on snacks from the gift shop for the drive home. Our room was clean and wholesome. The only complaint that we had was the bed. It was the hardest bed we have ever slept in! If you get a good price then I feel it was value for money even with the resort fee. Not rack rate though. Parking was pretty busy on the friday and saturday night and we did have to park a little way from our room. Building 12 had an elevator.

1  Thank fshwilli
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 9 September 2004

Stayed during Rolls Royce convention. Commiserated w/tuxedoed Rolls guest in hallway, after he exclaimed to his companion, "What a Dump!" Can't believe this gets 3 stars! No elevator in most bldgs, the stairs you have to take look like a service entrance - and lack A/C. Stains on carpets, pubic hair on bathroom floor by toilet upon arrival, coffee stains down cabinets under coffee maker. Gross. Needs extensive and major renovation. Not deserving of Hyatt name.

Reviewed 8 September 2004

We had a two night stay here in late August. Booked thru Priceline for $42 per night. I really debate whether it was worth it. Called and requested 2 double beds and a golf view. Was told golf view was $25 extra. Said no. Got there. Lobby was nice. Was told golf was free but 1 King bed only. Said no. There was a 10$ per night resort fee. $5 coupons for use in dining room or gift shop on food. 2 free water bottles included. Went to room. Layout is many motel style buildings. Got in elevator. Floor had towels spread all over it and air freshener smell. We were later told by staff that someone had thrown up in it, but they couldn't close it to clean it because it was the only elevator in the building. Got to room. Room was hot and dirty. The lovely design on the lamp was MOLD. No A/C. Open windows and it feels as though we're on the freeway. No fridge, just a hole where one should be in the beat up cabinetry. Call and request one. At this point family is freaking out. Go out to eat. Call desk and beg for another room on golf side. Successful. Moved there. On that side it's still dirty and MOLDY (love those green lamp designs) but at least it's quiet when we open the window. That's about it, but we did go swimming and the pool was ok. I can't believe this is a Hyatt nor that it's a Priceline 3 star. I would only stay here if (1) you don't pay more than $50 per night (2) you get a golf view room (3) you aren't too fussy on cleanliness.

• Stayed: August 2004
1  Thank knitsafghans
La Mesa, California
Reviewed 4 September 2004

My husband and I reserved a room at the Hyatt Regency Golf Course in Monterey through my first-time try on Priceline for a single night in August. We were thrilled, thinking that this would be the prettiest, most comfortable room of our two week vacation. It turned out to be the worst -- certainly not of the quality expected of a three star resort hotel.
Room 2428 was in an older building in the back where it appeared the bargain-hunters and servants are hidden. The building was not well-maintained which should have been a clue to us.
The bathroom window opened onto the outside corridor so that passers-by could look in. That same window was rusted. The bottom bed sheets did not reach far enough to tuck in. The blanket bindings were lost long ago, leaving raggedly strands. The lights were very dim. The one over my husband's bed did not work at all. He tried a bulb from the dresser lamp to no avail. The patio screen was completely torn out around the handle. The carpet was shabby. The small balcony patio was separated from its neighbors by step-through openings in the side walls. A criminal could walk from room to room.
When I called the manager, Michael Koffler, he was at first dismissive, asking if we didn't feel that we had good value for our money. No, certainly not. We had far nicer rooms at Best Westerns and Holiday Inns at lower cost. He finally offered to change our room which turned out not to be possible without taking a smoking room. We declined.
As we checked out in the morning, my husband asked to speak with him. Mr. Koffler was in a meeting. My husband gave his email address and cell phone number to an assistant , challenging one of them to visit Room 2428 to determine if this room was really indicative of of a Hyatt Regency's quality, and get back to us.
A hour later, Mr. Koffler phoned and wanted to know what we wanted. Unfortunately, our cell phone lost coverage almost immediately. We don't know if he ever inspected the room. Our cell phone did not pick up again until we left the Central Coast a week later. Mr. Koffler never emailed my husband.
Despite the line on my paperwork saying that the accepted price included all taxes and services, we were charged an extra $10 for services for a one-night stay. That was taxed, too!
The night before, we had a lovely room at a Holiday Inn in Auburn. The following week, we were in a clean Best Western in Lompoc with a king bed, good lighting, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, comfortable chairs, desk, and a breakfast. Last, we were on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. We couldn't help but notice that the latter two, places, while being in near the ocean, were rust-free and well-maintained.

• Stayed: August 1999
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Concord, CA
Reviewed 3 September 2004

We paid $77 a night on Hotwire when we went recently but I see the rooms going for $280 a night this labor day weekend!

At $77 a night it's a great value. Buildings are a little dated but the room we had was recently renovated, clean and well-lit. No noise even though hotel was busy and our room was on the freeway side. Took me 3 calls to get a crib for the room but I guess I should have pre-ordered it.

Restaurants, Pub and Foyer are great.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member