“Not worthy of the name Hyatt Regency”

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
kansas city,mo
Reviewed 29 October 2004

I read many of the reviews posted about this hotel before I booked the room. I was very leary about the hotel because of the varied reviews that were posted. However, I was rather limited in my choices because many hotels were not available for a saturday night (October 16, 2004). When I arrived at 3:30PM my room was not ready. Check in time is at 4:00PM so I was not annoyed. However, I flashed back to some of the negative reviews I had read. The desk clerk was very polite and spoke english (some of the reviews complained about non-english speaking personnel). We left for dinner and our room was ready when we returned. The room did not meet my expectations for a Hyatt Regency hotel or the $200 nightly rate. The room was small and did not have a vanity separate from the bathroom like most newer hotels have. This made it harder for one person to get ready while the other one showered. The room appeared to be clean. I liked the bed, but my wife did not. The room was quiet except for the room above. I would recommend a top floor room. It would have been nice to have fridge. The actual room rate was $190 plus the $10 resort fee other reviewers have mentioned. We did drink the water that $5 of the $10 fee paid for. However, we did not use the $5 restaurant credit. A steak was $43. We ate at a Chart House with an ocean view for less! All in all it was not a bad experience. The staff was polite and responsive. I would stay at this hotel again if my choices were limited.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course

Reviewed 28 October 2004

This hotel provided my family and I with one of the worst travel experiences we have ever had. We have traveled four continents extensively. The rooms are expensive and outdated, dirty and uncomfortable. We were there in August 2004 and it happened to be warm. There is no airconditioning and if you opened the window you might as well as been sleeping on the highway. The highway noise was awful. The hotel staff was notified and made no effort to correct the problem or offer us another room.

We decided to check out early after the frustration of having two$250+/night rooms that were dirty, rundown and unusable, as none of us could sleep due to heat and noise. The front desk attendent told us the hotel would NOT refund any of our money for the prepaid rooms for the nights we would not be there. He even said that he would rent them to someone else immediately and "it is pure capitalism." We were surprised by this display of arrogance and as to speak with the manager. Apparently the manager was not available so we left.

I sent the hotel a letter about our experience. We received a notice from the hotel manager that we could have an upgrade at our next visit to the Monterey Hyatt. We are not likely to respond to this offer and in fact will never return to that hotel. I suggest as a lesson (to the Hyatt) in capitalism you avoid this hotel too.

By the way the swimming pool was full of leaves and the ping pong tables were all broken. Not much fun for the kids.

1  Thank kiteboarddad
Reviewed 24 October 2004

Even if you are given a good rate I would pass it up. This property's rooms need updating VERY badly, circa old Motel 6 type things. Beds have to be ancient, really. Sheets paper thin. I pulled back the cover with fingertips and put it on the floor. Ewwwww. Our room in a building that the elevator was a LOOOOONG way away. When we finally found elevator it looked like something you would find in a tenament, slashed dirty walls and doors, peeling paint, my gosh, I would have been afraid to go to the car in the dark without my husband. That's how it looked, that may not have been the fact. Lobby and grounds are nice, but I don't sleep there. Bathroom was clean and adequate, did have coffee. But folks, this ain't the Hyatt I know. This area has tons of really nice places to stay, find them. We were stranded at the last minute and thought "you can always count on a Hyatt." Ha. Ha. Now we know better. I am happy for the young woman who had satisfaction with her reception but I find that most brides ARE happy, their vision is rose colored. As it should be. Much happiness to her, but to the Hyatt at this location. Clean up your act or take down the name. Shame.

sacramento, ca
Reviewed 23 October 2004

I thought this hotel was more like 2 star hotel. The room was covered with spackle that was not painted over and mildew that covered the bathroom walls. The decor was very 70's. I would not stay here again.

Reviewed 17 October 2004

We were there from Monday through Wednesday for a golf tournament that my girlfriend was in. Her parents came along to get away for a little bit. I was there with her parents while she was golfing in the tournament.

On the good side:

1. All service was prompt, friendly, generous with their time and always made sure we were comfortable.
2. The cafe and restaurant were good. Reasonable prices (most of it) and great-tasting food. Service was always excellent. Overall, everyone was friendly, satisfying with our needs and always smiling.
3. Room services were prompt and delicious. A lot of services fees but worth it when you want to stay in the room.
4. They have fans in the room. They don't have air conditioning, but the fans help when it gets a little warm.

On the Not-So-Good Side:

1. Confusing directions when you get off the highway unless you're going with someone who knows where it is at.
2. Rooms were okay. Unfortunately we didn't get a room facing the golf course, plus we were on the first floor so I didn't like it. I would have preferred to stay on the 2nd or the 3rd floor [3 floors max.] facing the golf course.
3. I have stayed in other Hyatt Hotels, this one in Monterey is okay by appearance, I think they need to renovate the hotel just a bit especially with the rooms with their radio, television, and layout the room and windows. It just didn't feel the same as other Hyatt Hotels.
4. Not enough of handicap parking. My girlfriend's parents are disabled and they only had 2 handicap parking lots near the parents' room.

Reviewed 5 October 2004

I have read many reviews of the Hyatt and find them to be mostly unfair and over-exaggerated.

I recently had my wedding reception held at the Hyatt and I have to say the Hyatt MET and EXCEED ALL of our expectations. I found the service to be outstanding and the food to be excellent.

Many, if not all, of the rooms have been renovated, which makes for a very pleasant stay. The hotel is centrally located, making it easy for tourists (which many of our guests were) to explore all of Monterey.

The scenery is beautiful, as the hotel is nestled among monterey cypress and pine trees, only minutes from the beach.

As for the General Manager, Michael Koffler did a fantastic job catering to any and all of our needs. In fact, he went to so far as to upgrade several "important" guests (father of the bride) at no charge. Like anyone, treat a person with respect and they will treat you with respect.

Overall, I could not have asked for a more enjoyable experience, THE BEST VALUE FOR A WEDDING RECEPTION ON THE MONTEREY PENINSULA!

• Stayed: October 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 September 2004

If you get a good price through Priceline (ours was $65 in August) then this is a good place to stay. We read the reviews and went thinking it was going to be awful. I did request upon check in that we have a quiet rom, away from the pool and the freeway and on the top story. Our room worked out fine in Building 12. There is no AC but we did not need it and left the window open. Of course I would not do this if on the bottom floor. The lobby etc was very pretty. The staff we found very friendly. Knuckles was a typical soprts bar, noisy and crowded and yes everyone through their peanut shells on the floor but we have seen that at other places too. The $11 resort tax is a rip off but we stocked up on snacks from the gift shop for the drive home. Our room was clean and wholesome. The only complaint that we had was the bed. It was the hardest bed we have ever slept in! If you get a good price then I feel it was value for money even with the resort fee. Not rack rate though. Parking was pretty busy on the friday and saturday night and we did have to park a little way from our room. Building 12 had an elevator.

1  Thank fshwilli