Monterey Bay Lodge
The Stevenson Monterey(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$234
US$269
US$219
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$90
ComfortInn
El Castell Motel(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$87
Travelocity
Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa(Monterey)
US$227
US$200
Monterey Bay Inn(Monterey)
US$255
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsadjoining restaurantdennis the menace parkcannery rowfisherman's wharfhot tubminute walkon site restaurantcoffee makernice place to staywithin easy walking distancemonterey baywhale watchingfridge and microwaveroom was clean and comfortableaquarium ticketsking bedroad trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed in Room 110, a downstairs unit by a parking lot. When we walked into the room, besides noticing the attractive cheerful colors the small room had been decorated with, I was assailed by a musty, unpleasant, sweet odor. I thought it would resolve with airing out, but it never did and I went on to have a most unfortunate asthma and allergy attack. I asked the next morning at the front desk if housekeeping sprays some scent in the air, and I was told "yes." I asked that it not happen again as we were staying two nights. I also left a note on our door to housekeeping. When we returned that evening, the scent was much less noticeable, but my allergies were so activated from the first night that I was still miserable. I think it's very old-fashioned that a hotel still thinks this is a helpful thing to do. I was satisfied with the way my complaint was handled, although there was no offer of a more hypoallergenic room. Someone also mentioned the comforter, that it seemed old and a good way to harbor allergens. I agree. I took it off and just used the blanket in the closet, although I was not warm enough. On the positive side, the front office staff was always pleasant, the location was good enough, the price was more affordable than other lodgings, an attempt was made to make the room look cheerful with nice colors, and the attached diner had good breakfast. We did not use the pool area. We liked walking one block to the beach. If we ever return to Monterey, I would not stay here again without assurance that no scented cleaning supplies and especially no scented sprays were used.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main road, and if you are allergic or asthmatic, ask for a room that has not been sprayed with scent or scented cleaning products.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We had three people and decided to get the Family Room, which had a Queen bed when you walked in and a bunk bed in a separate room. This worked out perfectly for us. The room was clean, it had all the usual amenities (small fridge, microwave, hair dryer, clothes iron, etc.), and a TV in each room. The check-in went smoothly and the staff at the front desk was very nice. The two best things for us were the on-site restaurant, which served a fantastic breakfast, and the convenience of being able to walk to the wharf. Would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Luise Y
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Research on Tripadvisor lead me to this property and the photos and description did not disappoint. Let me tell you about all the good things: clean building inside and out; genuinely friendly and helpful staff at check-in and check-out; very comfy beds and a cold fridge awaited us along with a microwave unit.
Location is a big plus for me and 2 friends - 1/2 block from the road so traffic noise was never a problem; cross the road and you're on the beach with pathways along the shore; a short walk gets you to the 2 piers with great restaurants and shops.
Breakfast not included but you get a $2 discount coupon per person at a restaurant next door with great selection and reasonable prices.
Would I say this lodge is good value? We stayed a Friday and Saturday night, so premium rates are expected. And considering the location, there are few properties that can match this one, so all and all the value is pretty good. I'd like to return midweek and take advantage of lower rates. All in all, I highly recommend this lodge and would gladly return. It has a 'good feel'
about it when you arrive by car and the neighborhood has good vibes. Walking after dark never seemed an issue.

Room Tip: I chose a lower floor (only 2 levels) as I wanted to be close to the pool, so room #116 (end unit) worked perfectly.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank VancouverTraveller1
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Good location, parking right in front of our room, dog-friendly. Comfortable room.

The only complaint we have is the extremely slow internet -- which made it cumbersome to research our options for dining out.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

The location, rooms, and heated pool were just right. My only complaint was the size of the bathroom; it was small. I live locally, but if I were to come back, I would ask for a second story room that overlooks the park. The ocean is literally steps away ( you just have to cross the street). Happy travels

• Stayed: April 2013