“pathetic”
Review of Monterey Bay Lodge

Monterey Bay Lodge
Ranked #32 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stopped there for one night in Monterey Bay in early-mid September because of good reviews on Tripadvisor. Guess I need to pay more attention to details. Although it was mid 60s outside it was mid 70s inside our tiny little motor lodge drive up to the door room. We like cooler temps for sleeping and inquired at the office about how to turn on the a/c. We were told that "nobody in Monterey has air conditioning. There is a fan in the closet, open the bathroom window and the sliding door to the patio and let in the night air." OK, well, we can't sleep with the door open so it was quite warm in the room. Somehow, I don't think we would have received that response from the Marriott down the street. $150 for one night in a Motel 6 without a/c just because it's in Monterey CA is unacceptable. I would give them 1 star except for the fact that it was clean, just not comfortable. And, while it was not a far drive to Fisherman's Wharf, nothing was within walking distance with the exception of a quaint local park that was nice for a morning jog. Breakfast was NOT complimentary.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dianeehall

Reviewed 10 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Went down to Monterey for a music festival, so prices for the hotel were very expensive ($200 a night for that weekend). Normally I wouldn't pay that much, but they were one of the cheaper options available.

The reception desk folks were very nice and let us into our room extremely early, which was a pleasant surprise.

The rooms were very outdated, smelled a bit odd, and not the cleanest rooms I've set foot in. They weren't terrible, but it wasn't that nice. I would say the place is due for an upgrade at some point in the near future.

There was a pool, but I did not go in it. It looked nice.

I would stay there again, but only if the rates were under $100 a night. I guess that's cheap for Monterey.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over looking the pool, on the second floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

So I decided to go to Monterey at the last minute, literally booked this room (apparently the last one in all of Monterey from the time I had finding one...) at midnight Friday for a Saturday stay. It cost a little more than I wanted to pay, but was in line with the ridiculous prices a weekend at the end of summer costs in Monterey. On arrival they had my room ready promptly and everything was in order for the reservation. I had reserved a king suite (room 100) which was far better than I realized when I booked it. Located in a 'premium' building, each of these rooms has a designated/reserved covered parking spot (free) right in front of the door. The room was well appointed, with a marble bathroom, mini fridge with 2 free waters, microwave, wall safe, closet with ironing board/iron, king bed, desk, fireplace, TV cabinet with DVD player, jet tub and private patio. The jet tub was in the main bedroom (separate from the bathroom) and had a nice view of the tv if you're into that. These rooms do have AC, however they are mounted by the front door and really only cool the entry way. The main sleeping area has a ceiling fan and another small fan was provided in the closet (not needed). The patio for this room is truly private, with a full length fence, potted plants, chairs and a table. There is a latched gate that leads to the main hotel courtyard/pool. After the initial surprise at how deluxe the room was, the little details start to come to light. The bathroom door corners are pretty roughed up, the sink drain stop is wrapped in black electrical tape, and the faucet knob is cracked on the jet tub. Minor cosmetic details that in no way significantly detracted from the room/experience.

The grounds are well kept and are across the street from a large park with a lake (complete with paddle boat rentals) and about a block from the city beach. The area feels very safe and is within easy walking distance to everything. I actually walked to Pacific Grove without realizing how far I'd gone! If you get tired, the free Monterey trolley service has many stops along the most traveled paths (aquarium/cannery row/downtown). There is a restaurant on site that I did not dine at, but was given coupons for staying. It was busy every time I walked by, so I imagine it's not too horrible.

Check in and check out were very fast and efficient, with friendly staff. Any questions I had were met with a smile and helpful answer.

I tend to stick to chain hotels when I go somewhere new, so at least I have something familiar to start with. The Monterey Bay Lodge was a very pleasant surprise and, though booked out of a lack of other options, has won me over and is highly recommended to anyone headed to the coast.

Room Tip: Splurge on a premium room!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Good place to stay for our first night driving down PCH. Michelle on reception immediately resolved a slight booking problem. All comfy and clean. We used the sheltered pool and also spent some time on the beach over the road. Location and room suited us for our short stay.

Easy walk along the beachfront to Fisherman's Wharf to watch the sealions and have dinner, and then we drove to Cannery Row the next day. The classic car rally was just gathering up in downtown, really wished we could have stayed longer to see it all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This hotel is located within walking distance of just about everything except maybe for cannery row. We did walk there once though and it wasn't bad. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were good size with safe and fridg. You could hear the traffic at night and there was no AC, so we did get warm during night. There was a small fan in closet that really does not solve any cooling function, but it did eliminate some noise. They were mostly clean, although there was some mold in shower if you are picky. I would basically just say its one on those places if your just looking for a good place to stay without wanting luxury or 5 stars.

Room Tip: courtyard pool up stairs
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had the unfortunate opportunity of staying at the hotel during the Concourse d'Elegance weekend. Of course, the price of the room was tripled, which every hotel does, I understand. Front desk, advised I am lucky to have a Queen suite with a patio. Well.....1: Queen is the largest size bed they have and 2: the patio faces the vending machine. If I'm lucky, then I feel bad for the other guests!

The rooms are very small. The furniture is old. The only "modern" thing they have in the room is the flat screen tv. And by the way....they only have like 10 working channels. And the WIFI does not work. The bathroom door is placed in a very inconvenient location. Have trouble even getting into the bathroom, the room is that small. Our room had air conditioning but it was placed where the circulation of the air was poor. It took forever to get cold. There is no privacy. When I was walking to the vending machine, I was able to see inside the rooms of the guests who did not have their drapes closed and was able to hear their conversations!

I will not stay here again. But, not everything was all bad. The location was close to downtown, I like that you have your own parking and if you asked for anything, they were able to provide you with an answer at the front desk. Also, little things like having a coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave are convenient. They provide you two complimentary bottles of water in the refrigerator.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business