“comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Monterey
“comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The room was clean en had everything we needed for our one night stay. It is situated in a walkingdistance to the harbor and restaurants. There is no breakf ast included, but you get a discount when you get breakfast in the restaurant of the hotel. There is enough parkingspace.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night at the start of September when passing through to San Francisco. It was cheap compared to other places in Monterey but it wasn't great. We expected a motel but there was no air con, room and bath room were dated, uncomfortable bed and to be honest I didn't feel 100% safe there! On a positive note ignore previous reviews about the location which is in easy walking distance of fishermans wharf (about 10 mins) which is great for dinner and drinks and the seafront (2 mins.)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank MissNicolaJane
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed at the Monterey Bay Lodge for 2 nights in August this year. We received a friendly welcome when we arrived and the receptionist was very helpful booking tickets to the aquarium for us. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. There was all you would expect; microwave, empty fridge (with complimentary bottles of water every day) and coffee making facilities. We were very impressed with the decaf coffee in the room, which was very nice indeed. The grounds of the hotel are lovely too. The only downsides we experienced were very poor wifi signal in the room and breakfast wasn't included in the rate. The hotel did give us discount vouchers for the adjacent restaurant though, which was very good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CJSc0tt
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stopped there for one night in Monterey Bay in early-mid September because of good reviews on Tripadvisor. Guess I need to pay more attention to details. Although it was mid 60s outside it was mid 70s inside our tiny little motor lodge drive up to the door room. We like cooler temps for sleeping and inquired at the office about how to turn on the a/c. We were told that "nobody in Monterey has air conditioning. There is a fan in the closet, open the bathroom window and the sliding door to the patio and let in the night air." OK, well, we can't sleep with the door open so it was quite warm in the room. Somehow, I don't think we would have received that response from the Marriott down the street. $150 for one night in a Motel 6 without a/c just because it's in Monterey CA is unacceptable. I would give them 1 star except for the fact that it was clean, just not comfortable. And, while it was not a far drive to Fisherman's Wharf, nothing was within walking distance with the exception of a quaint local park that was nice for a morning jog. Breakfast was NOT complimentary.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dianeehall
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Went down to Monterey for a music festival, so prices for the hotel were very expensive ($200 a night for that weekend). Normally I wouldn't pay that much, but they were one of the cheaper options available.

The reception desk folks were very nice and let us into our room extremely early, which was a pleasant surprise.

The rooms were very outdated, smelled a bit odd, and not the cleanest rooms I've set foot in. They weren't terrible, but it wasn't that nice. I would say the place is due for an upgrade at some point in the near future.

There was a pool, but I did not go in it. It looked nice.

I would stay there again, but only if the rates were under $100 a night. I guess that's cheap for Monterey.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over looking the pool, on the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

So I decided to go to Monterey at the last minute, literally booked this room (apparently the last one in all of Monterey from the time I had finding one...) at midnight Friday for a Saturday stay. It cost a little more than I wanted to pay, but was in line with the ridiculous prices a weekend at the end of summer costs in Monterey. On arrival they had my room ready promptly and everything was in order for the reservation. I had reserved a king suite (room 100) which was far better than I realized when I booked it. Located in a 'premium' building, each of these rooms has a designated/reserved covered parking spot (free) right in front of the door. The room was well appointed, with a marble bathroom, mini fridge with 2 free waters, microwave, wall safe, closet with ironing board/iron, king bed, desk, fireplace, TV cabinet with DVD player, jet tub and private patio. The jet tub was in the main bedroom (separate from the bathroom) and had a nice view of the tv if you're into that. These rooms do have AC, however they are mounted by the front door and really only cool the entry way. The main sleeping area has a ceiling fan and another small fan was provided in the closet (not needed). The patio for this room is truly private, with a full length fence, potted plants, chairs and a table. There is a latched gate that leads to the main hotel courtyard/pool. After the initial surprise at how deluxe the room was, the little details start to come to light. The bathroom door corners are pretty roughed up, the sink drain stop is wrapped in black electrical tape, and the faucet knob is cracked on the jet tub. Minor cosmetic details that in no way significantly detracted from the room/experience.

The grounds are well kept and are across the street from a large park with a lake (complete with paddle boat rentals) and about a block from the city beach. The area feels very safe and is within easy walking distance to everything. I actually walked to Pacific Grove without realizing how far I'd gone! If you get tired, the free Monterey trolley service has many stops along the most traveled paths (aquarium/cannery row/downtown). There is a restaurant on site that I did not dine at, but was given coupons for staying. It was busy every time I walked by, so I imagine it's not too horrible.

Check in and check out were very fast and efficient, with friendly staff. Any questions I had were met with a smile and helpful answer.

I tend to stick to chain hotels when I go somewhere new, so at least I have something familiar to start with. The Monterey Bay Lodge was a very pleasant surprise and, though booked out of a lack of other options, has won me over and is highly recommended to anyone headed to the coast.

Room Tip: Splurge on a premium room!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo