“Staff were lovely and friendly”
Review of Monterey Bay Lodge

Monterey Bay Lodge
Ranked #34 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Wellington, New Zealand
“Staff were lovely and friendly”
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I have been travelling round the US for a while, and the front counter staff at the Monterey Bay Lodge were the most genuinely friendly and helpful I have encountered. The room was nice and clean, for a relatively cheap place to stay, it ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank 118campbell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 1 October 2010

This is a lovely place to stay IF you don't have a dog. Dogs are not allowed in the Lobby, even if they are small and you carry them. Also, they are not allowed in the Courtyard area, either on the grass in there or on the sidewalks. There is no designated place to take your dog to relieve himself. There is a park across a very busy street or across Del Monte Blvd, but that is not the best thing to do at night. Our room was VERY small. We travel with our small dog so would not stay again. AAA rates it three diamonds, we would only do two diamonds.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank catholic2
London
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My partner and I found this hotel by chance when looking for somewhere to stay late on a Monday night. We were checked in quite quickly, the room was decent with good facilities and the bed comfy. Would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Monterey.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EMA2010
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Quite honestly, this is not a terrible motel. It is not, however, worth the $325 per night charged when we stayed there for a wedding recently. I assumed at that rate that we were staying at a great hotel and didn't question it very much, since it was recommended by other wedding guests. We were fine, although dissapointed that we were paying this much, until we asked the night front desk person, named Vince, to get us a cab to downtown Monterey to meet up with wedding guests after the wedding. First, Vince didn't immediately stop watching videos on his computer to call the cab. He instead waited a good 5 minutes to phone the cab. Then my wife and I sat for 20 minutes before he let us know that the cab would be another 45 minutes. Excuse me for expecting good customer service after the ridiculous rate we paid.

At this point I told Vince to cancel the cab and we would instead drive (even though the hotel really isn't that centrally located), and I told him about how we had been talking talking to other wedding guests that they had had their room rates reduced. He got very defensive and said there was nothing he could do for us. I then told him that the 3 diamond AAA rating on their hotel sign was supposed to mean something, it definitely does not mean getting an attitude with guests asking for legitimate things and legitimate questions. He said the other rates were reduced as a "favor" to the other guests for booking so many rooms, and that favor would not be extended to us, even though we were part of the same wedding group.

I would have let the ridiculous price we paid for this hotel and the fact that:
-we got the crappiest rooms at the hotel overlooking the parking lot where we could hear cars idling all morning and smoke entering our room through a window we couldn't close without being uncomfortably warm
-the "amenities" were next to none (tiny pool, no ac, safe that wouldn't work, obviously nothing even approaching concierge service)
-tiny bathrooms with mildew growing in the bathtub grout
-paint pealing on the doors
-dated decor
If we had not received such poor customer service. I would like to see the management arrogantly refute this review the way they have others on tthis website. I can absolutely assure you everything written above is true. You can even call Vince and ask him about it.

Bottom line: do not pay more than $100 a night for this place and expect no amenities or customer service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jandres12
DonDesaiMBL, General Manager at Monterey Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 15 August 2010
Dear Guest,
First of all, I would like to apologize on behalf of the Monterey Bay Lodge for the unpleasant experience you had with our customer service. Tripadvisor is a public forum, which allows our guests to have an opportunity to express their views with other guests; we equally appreciate your criticism, alongside the hundreds of complimentary reviews, as it allows us to correct our mistakes, which improves our customer service for all of the guests of Monterey Bay Lodge.

I really appreciate your 'honest comments' at the start of the review, that 'we are not a terrible motel, its just that we were over priced'. Since your comments were lengthy, I had to write an equally long response to explain the details; we are not 'over priced', your stay was during the special event weekend of MOTO GP Race, and every single lodging property in Monterey had higher special event rates.

After reading the comments about your stay, I had spoken with Vince regarding your experience on night of July 24th; here is what had happened. Vince assured me that he had called the cab immediately at the time of your request, but he wasn't given a time for a cab to come over, since it was one of the busiest night of year for them (Saturday night, MOTO GP Race). He does regret of not telling you, that it could possibly be a long time for them to send a cab, because of the extremely busy race weekend. When it was approximately 10 minutes after his call, he decided to 'call again' and ask if a cab was on its way, at that point, he was told it would be 30-45 minutes before a cab can be here. When he told you of the wait time, you thought that Vince waited good 5 minutes before calling it in the first place. I can understand your frustration of not being able to get a cab for your needs, but it was due to the busy weekend and not poor customer service on his part. But, as an experienced person working the front desk, Vince should have told you 'in the first place', that it could take forever to get a cab at 11pm on a busy race weekend. Had you known the difficulty of getting a cab, you might have made another plan, I sincerely apologize on behalf of an employee who failed to provide you that information.

On the matter of our room being over priced and Vince not reducing your room rate or provide a satisfactory explanation, I would like to defend him, as he or anyone working the graveyard shift would not be authorized to make changes to a group rate; it would be done by myself or front desk agents working the morning to evening shifts. The group rate was high, due to the busy race weekend, which would be the case with any lodging property in Monterey. Our rates range from $70-$350, depending on the type of room a guest selects and the time period. Usually, the rates range between $120-$200 during summer months and there would be a couple of weekends where we have special event high rates of $300-$350 (like every single lodging property of Monterey Bay). There was a last minute cancellation of 1 night (Friday) from originally booked 2 nights (Fri & Sat) of another group staying with us, they had missed their flight and could not come in for Friday night, so we cxled their Friday night reservation and kept only the Saturday night. Since we unexpectedly had a large number of rooms to sell 'only for Friday night', I had decided to lower the walk-in rate for guests looking for just 1 night stay. Due to the MOTO GP Race, almost all of the people coming to Monterey is looking for a 2 night stay of Fri & Sat. On last minute, we had to sell several rooms only for 1 night, so I had decided to lower rate only for Friday night, for people looking for just 1 night stay. The person who booked your group checked in on Thursday and she was aware of high rates due to Race weekend. If anyone in your group had an issue with our rates, we would have gladly cancelled your reservations without charging any penalties, as we take pride in providing excellent customer service. Unfortunately, Vince or anyone at the Monterey Bay Lodge couldn't reduce your rate only for the 1 night of Friday.

In conclusion, I would like to again apologize for the bad experience you had at our property, but I am hoping that my response explains the details of confusion.

Don Desai
GM
UK
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Stayed here for one night as part of a tour of california. The hotel is in a great location, and was a pleasant suprise. The room was only around £60 a night, but it was a decent size and was clean and tidy.

The hotel staff were friendly, and it was a great place for a night.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UKhattrick
North East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We stayed at the Monterey Bay Lodge for 2 nights stay. The room was very large and clean, we had a balcony view of the pool area, with the front door looking out onto the sea. Facilities included iron/ironing board, hairdryer, free wifi, safe, tea coffee facilities & a pool. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we had a couple of problems (tv wouldn't work and room key stopped working) but they sorted these out straight away and these problems wouldn't make me mark my review down at all.

The location couldn't have been any better, 3 minutes walk to the sea and approx 15 minutes walk to Fishermans Wharf (one of the local attractions where you can go on whale watching trips, also a must do!!).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reno NV
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This was a weekend at the beach for us, and that was what we found just across the street. The sea was not warm enough for immersion above the knees, but there was a pool at the hotel which was maybe 2 or 3 degrees warmer, just bearable to keep the kids happy. The spa was my retreat to soak away 400 miles of "are we there yet?"
Santa Cruz is less than hour away, and is great entertainment for everyone, but it's nice to get back to a more peaceful Monterey.
We got the family suite, as it was comparable in price to 2 queen rooms at other locations; I believe the best way to maintain sanity on a trip with 2 small kids is to have a door between them and you at the end of the day.
Within easy walking distance is Denace the Menace Playground, definitely worth an hour or two of your kids' time, especially if you want to get them tired for the return trip.
We did not venture beyond the attached diner for breakfast; it serves a good menu at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family