“BUYER BEWARE!!!!! BED BUG ALERT!!!”
Review of Hotel 1110

Hotel 1110
Ranked #5 of 10 Monterey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I set reservations for what I thought was a lovely Inn, I wanted to try something different in Monterey and not stay in a major chain hotel. I arrived at the "Inn" and there was no parking and it was on a VERY busy street with cars zipping past me as I tried to find a place to stop and go and check into the property. I finally stopped in a parking lot next to the Inn and walked around to the front doors and opened them to a dark, dank lobby that hit you in the face like a bottle of clorox!! It looked NOTHING like the pics I had seen online.

I went to my room and opened the door and the door hit the bed. The room was so small that you couldnt walk into it...I had reserved a King bed two months ago and it had a double bed. It was a horrible room the size of my closet at home. It was filthy and dank. I went back down to the hotel manager and asked for the King bed I had reserved a few months ago and he told me I was too late checking in and they were all taken, it was 1:30pm and check in was 1pm.

I asked for my money back because I was going somewhere else and he told me to contact Expedia and that he was not giving me my money back...I paid 200.00 a night for 3 nights for a dump that had bugs, buy the way!

I left the property and went and checked into a lovely room in the Marriott but called Expedia and they contacted the Inn and he told them the same thing. That I had to cancel the reservation a week before if I wanted my money back! I wouldn't have cancelled if they had of honored my request even though it was a dump in a horrible area of Monterey. They are conartists, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank nanguslasvegas

Reviewed 12 June 2011

If you want to stay at a partially remodeled youth hostel in the bad section of town for $150 a night then this is the place for you. The cars at the auto shop next door blocked the entrance to the tiny parking lot in the back. The innkeeper told us to park on the closest sketchy neighborhood street. They took our money (no refunds for reservations) and we got the heck out of there. The place has a really bad vibe. Some of the other bad reviews pretty much sum it up.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Inapickle99
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My initial reaction, which happened back in February, was not a positive one. We made our reservation as part of the wedding party who had secured the entire establishment but a couple weeks later, when the bride and groom-to-be checked on the reservations, they were told by Nick the reservation had been cancelled because we could not afford the room. After several more conversations with Nick he finally conceded that they were lost and reinstated my reservation, but here is the other bad part, he charged me for the room. Not upon check out, but in Feb for the May stay. Other than those hiccups, everything was fantastic! The rooms are small but cute, the Inn is nicely decorated, there is a small bar for the guests in the lobby, nice dining room for breakfast, their friend Steve provided EXCEPTIONAL service and even offered to drive folks to the wedding after the cab departed without them. The rooftop deck was awesome! It was recently done and boasts a bar (for guest use), several nice wood chairs, glass surrounding the edges and space heaters for those chilly nights. After the wedding our group retired to the roof and with the help of an iPod docking station partied into the weee hours of the morning.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2011

wow! What a surprise this was when I arrived! It was difficult to find since it was right on the main street... literally! i was looking for a charming inn that was in the photos on the internet. I had to park a ways to get there - left luggage in the car since I already had a good idea I wasn't going to stay. went in.. very dreary, musty smelling and the lady at the desk was not very nice. she allowed me to check out the room - luckily... the halls were as small as a house, the room was nicely decorated, if you don't mind your bathtub situated next to your bed! I travel monthly for work all over the country and stay in all sorts of inns and hotels - NEVER have I experienced something like this!! The inn is surrounded by auto shops on all sides... no beach view, no charm and absolutely no where to walk! when I told the inn keeper I couldn't stay, she refused to refund me - they have a 1 week cancellation policy!! That is unheard of... so I left anyway and am working with AMEX to dispute the charges. After I left, I realized I had packages sent to me for my meetings the next day... I called and they denied anything had arrived for me - I knew they had and desperately needed my boxes... to make a long story short - I had to have the Monterey police go and pick up my packages for me... YEP! They not only had the packages, they had opened them... the inn keepers are very strange people and sort of scary - I would not recommend this place to anyone!!!

Room Tip: Stay at the Merritt House in Monterey...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
9  Thank sued45
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in April. It is located just outside Monterey. The positive is that you can get street parking easily for no charge overnight. The negative is you cannot easily walk into Monterey, you should take the car. It is also intimidating when you pull up to the hotel because it is adjacent to an abandoned building and across from a plumbing service company. However, the owners have invested their initial money into the right places. The bathroom was fully tiled and the shower and the jetted tub was really really nice. The breakfast each morning was gourmet and wonderful and as others have said, one of the best parts of the experience. Same for the complimentary glass of wine or beer at the end of the day with a few nibbles. The price was right--we stayed mid-week in the middle season so I think our price difference from anything else in Monterey covered our dinner and bicycle rental expenses. The room is tiny and there was not so much as a chair in the room. Only a bed. That was the drawback. The bed linens were clean and the windows fully opened for a nice breeze. I would stay here again. It is not for everyone but it is clean, safe, and affordable with the dining extras being a big bonus.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThankxgivingTraveler
Reviewed 27 April 2011

This Inn was recommended by a friend and it was a wonderful surprise. Don't be turned off by the non-descript exterior. The interior is adorned with attention to detail and fun. The inn owners are lovely and eager to make every guest feel welcome. My friend and I arrived at the happy hour and got over the dust of the road with a draft beer and a wonderful explanation of the local history and ocean canyons by Steve, our wise bartender, while we enjoyed the cheese, nuts, and salami. His dinner restaurant recommendation "Sandbar & Grill" offered the promised tasty seafood with excellent views within a 5 min walk. We would have never found this place. Our room on the first floor was a value deal. The room are European size and style with nice amenities and spotless. If you are a light sleeper, take ear plugs for the white noise of traffic. I had no problem at all in the comfortable bed. The breakfast was as delicious as described in the other reviews. I loved the decoration and design particularities in the breakfast room. So fun. Can't wait to come back with my husband and experience this treat again :-)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon recently and had a wonderful stay! Yes, the rooms are small, no it did not bother us. They are homey and very attractively decorated.

We stayed on the third floor overlooking the street with the ocean view and never experienced noise issues. The owners may have read reviews about the the traffic noise, because they now have double layer windows of thick glass that eliminated all noise--we slept very well.

We were a little put off when first driving up to the hotel--the surrounding buildings and overall effect of this area of Del Monte was not very inviting...But once inside we felt right at home! The area is actually not bad, we didn't feel uncomfortable walking down the street, and enjoyed the fact that we could easily walk to the downtown area (Pacific Ave, Calle Principal, etc) without tiring at all.

The breakfast is just as good as the other reviewers claim--it's amazing!! We were so excited to wake up each morning and rush downstairs to see what deliciousness was being served up that day.

Parking is very limited (3-4 spaces?), but we were able to find a spot each day that we took the car out. Lots of street parking though.

The jacuzzi tub our room offered was heaven! Spacious, relaxing--wonderful way to end each day.

Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple