“They've overbooked, now I'll pay extra. UNACCEPTABLE.”
Review of Hotel 1110

Hotel 1110
Ranked #5 of 10 Monterey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I called and was looking for the same deal our co-travelers received, and the offer on the website: Buy other-inlaws were getting. The webpage shows stay 4 nights, get 50% off. I opted for the four nights of Sat - Tuesday.

They were sold out on "SUPERIOR" rooms for Sat & Sunday, so I said we'd go ahead and accept the Deluxe rooms, even without a change in price (we paid the same for the DELUXE rooms as we paid for the SUPERIOR).

At the time I wasn't sure if we were staying longer, so I added on those last two days (Thursday and Friday) "just in case". They wanted the days "prepaid", but since we weren't sure on the Thursday-Friday, we did not have to pay for them. We ended up with two confirmations for 6 days, charged $70 per night. I pre-paid for four.

Now that I am trying to drop the last two nights (outside the 7 day cancellation window) they are saying they are charging me extra because the rooms are more expensive on the weekend. Say whatever you will, you confirmed the rooms for $70 each night. You didn't write that you'd change the price if I dropped the last two days of my stay.

It doesn't help that when I called, the first man said "Oh, well, we're overbooked"... their overbooking is THEIR problem. Not mine.

I expect that this will be an unattractive situation... I'll report back when it is resolved.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank PlainOleTraveler
There are newer reviews for Hotel 1110

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Ok, so I have stayed in a lot of hotels in the Monterey area. I saw a good price on this hotel and saw some of the good reviews. It looked nice so I thought I would try it. This hotel is definitely hard to find if you didn't know the area or hadn't seen the reviews saying it was hard to find. The sign on the building is there, but its under the awning and small. Parking is not good, but there is three spots in the back but just hope you fit through the alley way.
So I read about the cocktail and free drinks in the evening, but when I arrived there was none. There was a bar, but no one working behind it, so I figured it was closed. The front desk lady, who I took was one of the owners, was friendly and had my key all ready for me. She explained everything really good and I was off to my room. The room was nice, small, but typical for a european style hotel, which it boast. It did remind me of hotels I found in Europe. The roof top deck was nice, probably would have been real fun if it had been summer time. The bathroom needed and bath mat, as they were marble and heated flooring but very slippery. The room was quaint, nice bedding and TV, and yes, not a lot of living space.
The breakfast the next morning was good, but you don't have options... They do ask if you are allergic to anything, not a meat eater, etc, and it was tasty. Not the best breakfast Ive had, but I have had a lot worse too.
I think this hotel was ok, but I wouldn't stay there again. It just is not the best location, building, or can I see staying in business. It is a needed kind of hotel in Monterey, but I think tries to hard to be something they are not. I wouldn't tell anyone not to stay here, but I just won't go back.

Room Tip: Stay on at least the second or third floors....
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The outside doesn't do the inside ANY justice. What a lovely little hideaway. Our room was quite nice, with a comfy bed, fireplace, flat panel tv and a large bathroom. We asked about local places to eat (we'd already driven many hours and wanted something close). They sent us to The Montrio just a few blocks away. $$$ but worth every penny! Our dinner was absolutely delicious. Dessert was nothing short of heaven (I had the creme brulee).
Our breakfast the next morning @ the hotel was amazing. Baked eggs in a ham cup over roasted asparagus, country potatoes w/ toast & pastry. Fresh juice & strong coffee. We would stay here again & again without hesitation. They have the "european" thing going on here & we love it!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank welovescotland!
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed at the Inn for one night at the end of a week in Monterey. I had been staying at the Portola Hotel, which was very nice but way too expensive when the conference rate ended. I picked the Inn because I was intrigued by it's unique character. I'm so glad I did! I arrived at the Inn and was warmly welcomed. I had no trouble finding a parking spot on the side street next to the Inn. My room was gorgeous and very comfortable. It was small, as some have noted, but that in no way decreased my comfort. My room had a semi-private, enclosed terrace shared with the room next door, very cute. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. I was tired from a long day, so I didn't get to the social hour or up to the roof. I did not really hear any street noise at all. Yes, I could hear conversation and laughter from my room during the social hour and when people were walking in the halls and on the stairs, but that actually added to the comfort, like staying in a friendly old house. I felt very much at home. I had very relaxing evening and awoke refreshed. In the morning, we had an absolutely beautiful, delicious breakfast. The coffee was perfect and real cream was provided. The meal was poached pears with whipped cream followed by eggs, sausage, and rosemary (I think?) hashbrowns. Absolutely delicious. The hosts were friendly and warm, just lovely. I wish I had spent the entire week at the Inn. When I return to Monterey, I know exactly where I'm staying!

Room Tip: I had room 207, it is small but very comfortable and has a semi-private terrace.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We booked a night here with the intention of driving the scenic coastal highway early the next morning, luckily we stayed for breakfast, and were thrilled with the wonderful breakfast. Toasted bread and cream, and a grape spread unlike the jar perseveres, it was a pure homemade pleasure. The hotel was European class., the remodeling was also a feast to the eyes. If anyone ever starts a scenic route from Monterey to San Simeon, The Inn at Del Monte Beach is a place to start.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosaria M
Reviewed 26 October 2011

THE GOOD: The room was clean and furnishings were adequate.
THE BAD: Location: The inn sits in front of an automobile repair shop. The shop sits at the back of the lot and faces Del Monte Avenue. In front of the repair shop sits two small buildings right on the street (also facing Del Monte Avenue). A tattoo and piercing parlor occupies one building and the inn and a McDonald’s office shares the other. Not an ideal sitting, to say the least. The inn has a total of 5 parking spaces for 18 rooms. The very cramped parking is in the back. You reach the parking through an extremely tight alley between the Inn and a tattoo parlor (a tight squeeze for a compact car). The inn keeper said there is plenty of free parking on the street around the inn. The truth is parking hardly exist for blocks around the inn. When I arrived and inched my way through the alley (mirrors on each side were an inch from the walls on each side) only to find all 5 of the back parking spaces were filled. I finally managed to get turned around (by pulling up and back a dozen times) and inched my way back through the alley. I parked in a “no parking zone” long enough to go inside to inquire where the “plenty of free parking around the inn” was. When the inn keeper told me it was “on the street”, I should have ran. However, since I had already paid for two nights, I decided to “find” the parking. The only parking space was 2 ½ blocks away. The noise from the street and the room above was extreme. The inn is at street edge and the street is rough and traffic heavy. It was like sleeping under an interstate bridge. The floors are hardwood. Therefore, you can hear every step one makes above you. There is no air conditioning. When temperatures are in the 80’s and 90’s, it is very uncomfortable. Even worse - if you are on the bottom floor, you cannot open the window without risking someone crawling through the window. Also, since the side of the tattoo parlor is 6-7 feet away, you cannot get a breeze even with the window open.
THE UGLY: I checked in and went to my room to find the door was unlocked and I could not lock it. I went back and asked the inn keeper how to lock the door. She said, “Oh, I have to use my key. The maid forgets to lock the doors after cleaning many times”. This gave me a creepy feeling. After bringing in my luggage there was hardly room to get around the bed. The room was furnished with a queen bed, two 12 inch round tables with a lamp, one chair, and a television and fireplace mounted on the wall. The lighting was very dim and inadequate for reading – barely enough to see to get around the room. We laid on top of the cover naked because of being so hot. (Can you image two old 76 year old dried up prunes laying there naked on a bed sweating like a thief in church – not a pretty sight.) The traffic noise sounded like cars going over rumble strips and the people in the room above us sounded like horses in a corral. The fitted sheet did not fit the mattress. Therefore with the fitful night of tossing and turning, I had to keep stretching the sheet over the mattress several times during the night. The tiny bathroom had no ventilation. There was only a small glass shelf (about 3 inches by 18 inches) for sitting cosmetics and shaving supplies. The miniature commode had a regular size seat that overhang the commode by 4 inches. There was a tiny glass shower in one corner. Good thing it had multiple vertical shower heads because there was no room to soap and then rinse off. I felt like a pickle in a 1 ½ inch jar. After showering and toweling off, I was immediately wet again with sweat. It was impossible to get dry before dressing.
After one night of total misery, we told the inn keeper that we were checking out. She offered us a fan. My thoughts were, “Oh! Great a convection oven instead of a regular oven – how wonderful.”

Room Tip: After checking out, we stayed at the Comfort Inn. Very nice large room. Quiet and air conditioned...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank Charles30530
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My boyfriend booked us a night here for a night away after reading some reviews. When we found it and parked I wasn't impressed with the location, but was soon surprised. The halls are narrow, the building is old fashioned but the remodeling was AMAZING! We stayed in the Audrey Hepburn room and were thrilled with the accommodations. The bathroom was luxurious, the bed was huge and the bedding was clean and crisp. We popped down for happy hour (free snacks and a free glass of wine or beer) and spent a bit of time on the roof top lounge which was, as typical for the season, a bit too chilly for true relaxation. We had to drive to enjoy the sights and the beach, but the inn was worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011