“A public bar that is disguising itself as a B & B - Not your quiet getaway!”
Review of Hotel 1110

Hotel 1110
Ranked #6 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“A public bar that is disguising itself as a B & B - Not your quiet getaway!”
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I had a change of itinerary and without my computer handy called a friend to find an available quiet hotel near the water in Monterey, as I was too tired to drive to my next stop in Santa Maria, due to a late business meeting. This was apparently the day before the US Open golf tournament in town, so I hit a bad day to book at the last minute. My friend found this inn online, so I got the number, called and was told a room was available. Drove over and had a hard time parking (was in industrial area across from beach), and as I looked up on the rooftop of this place, heard loud music, lots of people with drinks in hand, and no parking close by.

A bit confused, as I was told this was a B & B, I finally found a spot a couple blocks away. Walked in and lots of people coming and going. Was greeted by a man with a drink in his hand and I asked what was going on. (This was about 7 pm) He said that a weekly public DJ Happy hour "Beats" party was on the roof and would be going on until 9:00 pm that evening. Now, mind you, I came to get a "quiet" room to rest so I could get up early to be in Santa Maria the next morning for a business meeting.

A lady came from behind a desk in this little entry area and I was told that a bottom floor room was available in the front. All I could hear was loud dance music blaring, and at this point, decided I'd rather spend a night in a Motel 6 out of town than this place. I told her that this is not what I was expecting, and how could I get some sleep with all the noise. I was basically told that it was just a happy hour and no one minded. I declined to stay or take the room. Sure glad that I didn't pre-book this room, as the rate was $155. As I was leaving, a large group of drunkards came downstairs and sat in the lobby and began conversing. So, WARNING: This place is not private and quiet, obviously running events to a the public. Not my cup of tea!!! ... or hardly a typical B & B.

I decided to get the strength to continue driving out of town south on "101" and actually found a Motel 6 in San Simeon on the water, which had a great attached restaurant and only $59/night for a large room with ocean view in a secured building.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank justbiz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
London
Reviewed 2 July 2010

You coudl drive right past this hotel without realising that it is a hotel (which we did), but once inside teh hotel is very clean and tidy and teh room we had was a good size.

The hotel owners are wonderful people though and are always helpful and available. Also the breakfast we had we fantastic.

Hotel is within easy walk of the beach and all central locations, although it is the opposite side of teh peninsula from Pebble beach and other location attractions.

Woudl highly recommend this hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We just got back from a trip where we spent two nights at this hotel. We thought it would be a "luxury boutique" hotel but we feel it fell quite short of this title. It is an older building that used to be a hostel (with four bathrooms!) and just opened after 2 years of renovations. You can see where they tried to make sure they used marble in the bathrooms, high end shower faucets etc. But the rooms were quite small- no room for your suitcase really. And barely room for the bed. We faced the very busy road spoken about by others and since there is no fan or airconditioning we tried on the first night to leave the windows open- mistake! Lots of street noise and that really buzzy power line. The next night we closed them- less noise but even with a very chilly night it was warm for sleeping. Not ideal. The owners seem to be trying to make this work and know that they are in an area of town that is (as they call it) in a "revitalization phase"- at least they hope so. But you can't help but feel a little unsafe when you look around. As was pointed out to us, their main "market" is local people. One night when we were there they were holding an "event" on their rooftop patio for local people. We were allowed to attend- basically the only way we could buy a drink at the hotel. Lets just say we didn't feel exactly "welcome" however, we think the locals enjoyed it.

It is a LONG walk to the Fisherman's wharf area and you need a car to get to the aquarium or cannery row. However, the price was less than many of the hotels closer to the action. In the end we would say that it might have been worth spending more and being closer to the attractions. However, in hindsight not sure Monterey was worth a two day stop anyway.

2 Thank EMtravelers

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We booked this inn for a short romantic weekend for rest and relaxation. It was the only Inn or B&B in the monterey / carmel area that allowed us to book for only one night. The inn was a little difficult to find at first but it wasn't that big of a deal. The Inn was completely remodeled in the last year and they did a great job! It reminds me of our hotels in Paris, beautiful classic decore, but petite in size.

After we parked in the back small parking lot we entered the front doors of the inn where we were greeted by the Inn keeper named Nick. He was very kind and sweet to us. He showed us our room (we booked a standard room via expedia) which was on the first floor and offered if we like we can get an upgrade to a room on the 3rd fl for $25 more (b/c we asked for the best rooms when we got there). The standard room was nice but a little small. We decided to upgrade b/c it was obviously worth it! The room had a lot of light, a little more space, a pseudo mini fireplace, bathtub with jets, toilet with bidet, heated bathroom floors, great shower head, and marble bathroom walls! At night we didn't have trouble with street noise.

The icing on the cake.... the BREAKFAST! It's not continental breakfast! When we came down for breakfast (served 8-10am) we were seated in their cute dining area, imagine a quaint european cafe. The staff brought us orange juice and coffee, a starting dish (a crisp with cinnamon, with fresh berries, whipped cream, on an apricot puree; YUM), and a main dish of hot poached eggs with bacon and spinach.

The Inn is next to a large park where you can rent paddle boats and across the street from Del Monte Beach (less crowded). If you walked along the beach you'll pass a kayak rental facility, the pier, fisherman's wharf, and downtown monterey with in <1.5 miles. We thought the location was very convenient.

I felt like this Inn was a hidden gem in Monterey. I would definitely recommend it to a friend or family member that would like to escape from the typical accommodations and enjoy some charm and character. (sorry, no pictures yet bc it's in my boyfriend's camera... wanted to put up this review before I forgot about it)

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I had high expectations for this inn. The rooms on the website looked great, the by-line read 'small luxury hotel' and there were pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor.
Unfortunately we were very disappointed and our one-night stay was probably our worst on our trip around northern California.
I feel bad writing this review as I'm sure the owners are trying really hard, but it just didn't work for us.
Firstly, the location wasn't great. The inn is located in a quiet residential / business area on a very busy road - next door to a couple of pet salons, a Mcdonalds headquarters, and a car bodyshop. You would almost miss it walking down the street. There are a couple of carparks around the back (very narrow alley to get through) but there is enough street parking although some of the residences looked a bit run down.
We did arrive earlier than check-in time (1pm) but the reception and lobby, although seemingly nicely decorated, were dark and dingy and smelled of food (I suspect the family lunch was just being cleared). I didn't at all feel like i was in the same place as on the website. Front desk lady was very polite and friendly and checked us in and gave us a couple of cokes while she sorted out a key.
The room was our biggest disappointment. I had booked a standard room for $116, and requested a quiet room. The room was on the 1st floor and was tiny - just wide enough to fit a double-bed and a couple of tiny side-tables. There was a small tv up on the wall (no cable channels) and a wardrobe. There were no photos on the website that looked like this room so I took my own. Bathroom large and clean but not well-laid out, with the toilet right up against the wall and only a tiny glass shelf to put toiletries.
There was also no fan or air con, so with the small sized room and in early May, it didn't take long for the room to get very hot so we had to open the window. But even with the window shut, the biggest problem was the noise. At night (with window closed), we could hear the trucks thundering down the busy road, the people in the apartment across the alley conversing late into the night, buzzing power lines, and lots of bumps and thumps coming from the floor above. Was my worst night's sleep ever - and this was supposed to be the quietest room. I ended up sleeping with ear plugs, which I've never had to do before.

The other worry was security - aside from the location, the back door allowed anyone to enter without passing the front reception - it didn't close properly so I only hope it was locked at night.
We didn't stay long enough to have breakfast the next morning so can't comment on that.
We also didn't stay for the complimentary drinks at 4pm - when we came back at 6pm it looked like the rooftop area was being used to entertain non-hotel guests anyway.

So - this hotel wasn't bad (it was clean and the service was friendly, the owners are trying) - I just feel that the website is misleading in terms of photos and descriptions (so be warned - there's no picture of the 'standard' rooms, see my photo), and not recommended if you're wanting a quiet secure place. Luckily we only stayed one night.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Welly_China_Girl
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 June 2010

The owners of the Inn greeted us with a smile and showed us personally around the Inn. Breakfast was homemade granola, fresh, hot coffee, homemade french toast with blueberries and raspberries and canadian bacon. The rooms were quaint with a fireplace, comfortable bed, and a spa tub with a multi-jet shower head and column! Luxury at a inexpensive price! Would definitley stay again! They also have a free wine tasting from 4-6!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Singapore/San Francisco
Reviewed 4 June 2010

What are they good at? Selective photography on their website and trying to distract disappointed travelers with cheap free wine.

What are they bad at? Being honest that they are not a quiet weekend getaway place at the beach on the beautiful california coast, but rather an old, dank hotel that shares a building with a McDonalds office with super loud buzzing power lines right above the "roof deck" that are so loud we could hear them buzzing in our room, right on a super busy polluted street, across from a used car lot and nail salon.

They definitely re-modeled the small rooms (our "Suite" was not actually a suite given that it was only a hotel room with a bathroom and a hallway) and ours had a jacuzzi right next to the bed, and had we expected a wild hotel experience in a dank old European style hotel (meaning that it's tiny, old, dark, and unapologetic for its shortcomings, while being within walking distance of exciting stuff that allows you to ignore its shortcomings) with new jacuzzis, we would have been fine. Unfortunately, after paying $285 for one night (completely, completely outrageous), and expecting something like the "seven gables" (check out their reviews and pics), we were very, very disappointed.

When we arrived, having pre-paid our entire room cost, and realized the nasty building by the busy polluted street was our "romantic seaside inn" we were not in a good mood. Then, our room wasn't even ready, even though check-in time was 3pm and we were there at 4pm. They were very apologetic, and we didn't even care that much about them being late- we cared that we thought we were going to stay at a cute, quiet romantic sea-side inn and had been conned into this place. We could have stayed at a beautiful hotel or B&B in Carmel for less money, and instead, we were committed to this [---]-hole.

Additionally, it was wonderfully warm for Monterey during the day, which meant that at night our room was hot. We couldn't keep the windows open because even on the 3rd floor of the building, the traffic was so loud that it shook the building.

Worst night of sleep I've had in a long time, and could have been sitting by a fireplace in Carmel. One recommendation for the owners: Truth in advertising. You'd have a lot happier customers if they knew what they were getting into, but then, maybe you'd have fewer customers, and you wouldn't want that. So much for that "romantic" 3 day weekend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple