“The Inn Nestled between Mc Donalds Corporate and the Tire Store”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 1110

Hotel 1110
Ranked #6 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
Bakersfield, California
“The Inn Nestled between Mc Donalds Corporate and the Tire Store”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

If you dont mind awaking to the sound of an air hammer removing tires from a car, this is your place! If you want to step outside your front door and shop for used cars in the lot across the street, this is your place! Ok, so I was disappointed in the ambiance-- inside was clean enough and the people who run the place are lovely. Really! But I was looking forward to sleeping in and enjoying the whole B&B thing and it just didnt measure up. Details that were ignored abounded-- dead flowers and rank water in the vases on the breakfast tables, dead flowers and rotten water in the lobby, stuff stored under the open stairway next to the elevator, parking lot garbage area filthy and overflowing with garbage and junk. No street parking, the police came in during breakfast and told the owner to stop letting people park in the McDonalds' corporate office lot next door. This place could be represented better and have a nitche market-- but please, tell us that we cannot sleep in, that the view is on the roof of the building in a messy area that could actually be a wonderful garden deck. Tell me who you are before I come to stay!!

2 Thank mmichellew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Monterey, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

We completely agree with the poor reviews posted here since the beginning of July, 2010.

We'll start with the positives. The breakfast is great, the rooms were clean, and the staff was friendly.

However, the negatives far outweigh those positives.

Our room, one of the superiors, was in the back of the hotel. There is a king bed taking up almost the entire room. There is a small chest of drawers on one side of the bed, along with a straight back chair & suitcase stand. A very narrow armoire is on the other side of the bed. Two people cannot move in this room without bumping into each other. There is no comfortable place to sit in the room, except on the bed. No sitting in your room reading at this place!

The television gets only a very few stations, and only two or three are clear (the local NBC station). The TV does have a DVD player, but there were no DVDs available at the front desk. So why advertise these amenities when neither can be effectively used?

The noise from Del Monte Ave. is quite loud, even in the back. When we made the reservation- we were told that the rooms in the back and on the 3rd floor were quiet. The traffic, airplane, and power line noise was disturbing at best and prevented you from relaxing and sleeping. We were not warned that we were in a flight path.(final approach to the Monterey Airport is directly over the B&B and regional jets make a lot of noise)..nor were we told that the high voltage lines buzzed loud enough to be heard throughout the B&B.

The room has a single window, so there is little airflow through the room. No A/C, no fans. With the ongoing noise, you want to close the window- but when we did- it became suffocatingly hot in the room. So do you sweat or listen to the noise all night? For $250/night, either choice is intolerable.

The entrance has a bar with stools, and a very small sitting area, with uninviting chairs. Again, no place to sit & relax. The advertised afternoon gathering of snacks, tea & wine tasting was one glass of wine and some nuts.

The roof top deck was OK, with a glass railing to help protect you from the wind. Unfortunately, there was no cleanup done during the day, and the prime table/chairs on the deck were covered with empty bottles, dirty glasses, and pistachio shells. Of all the heaters on the deck, most were out of propane. The filth and poor upkeep of the deck area was discouraging at best but this condition is due to loud parties held weekly on the roof top deck; of course, this also created more noise for occupants of the 3rd floor rooms (people were jumping, moving tables, raising voices as they drank for hours on end).

Although the front of the building faces the bay, and there are some nice views in the distance, the view really consists of a used car lot, an auto repair shop, and a plumbing shop.

In summary, although the staff were friendly, there were major flaws in room layout, amenities, and location of the hotel. We do not recommend it. We wish we could get our money back.

2 Thank anonfromnowhere

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Merced, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

When I initially found this place (next to an auto body shop), I was concerned....not the romantic get-a-away I had in mind! Upon entering, it was quaint and the owner was very friendly but once up to the room, I was extremely disappointed!! This "superior" room was the smallest room I've ever been in - no tables of any kind to set anything on. The bed was fit in so tight, you couldn't even walk on the sides of it to get in it. And my husband kept banging his arm and head on the little glass shelves next to it.....no room whatsoever!!! The bed was not "premium" and was uncomfortable, the fireplace is actually a wall unit "faux" fireplace, and the TV only had a few stations. And the noise from the roof and the kids on our floor (although it says it caters to adults) made it hard to sleep. I spent way too much on this one to get so little!!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Me and my girlfriend stayed there yesterday and all i have to say is:à Must stay,....
Clean,extremly friendly,amazing breakfeast,prepared with passion,interior very unique,..just charming,..
The rooms are super clean and all in all à really nice place to be!!thank you for your hospitality and See you soon!!

• Stayed July 2010
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

I had a change of itinerary and without my computer handy called a friend to find an available quiet hotel near the water in Monterey, as I was too tired to drive to my next stop in Santa Maria, due to a late business meeting. This was apparently the day before the US Open golf tournament in town, so I hit a bad day to book at the last minute. My friend found this inn online, so I got the number, called and was told a room was available. Drove over and had a hard time parking (was in industrial area across from beach), and as I looked up on the rooftop of this place, heard loud music, lots of people with drinks in hand, and no parking close by.

A bit confused, as I was told this was a B & B, I finally found a spot a couple blocks away. Walked in and lots of people coming and going. Was greeted by a man with a drink in his hand and I asked what was going on. (This was about 7 pm) He said that a weekly public DJ Happy hour "Beats" party was on the roof and would be going on until 9:00 pm that evening. Now, mind you, I came to get a "quiet" room to rest so I could get up early to be in Santa Maria the next morning for a business meeting.

A lady came from behind a desk in this little entry area and I was told that a bottom floor room was available in the front. All I could hear was loud dance music blaring, and at this point, decided I'd rather spend a night in a Motel 6 out of town than this place. I told her that this is not what I was expecting, and how could I get some sleep with all the noise. I was basically told that it was just a happy hour and no one minded. I declined to stay or take the room. Sure glad that I didn't pre-book this room, as the rate was $155. As I was leaving, a large group of drunkards came downstairs and sat in the lobby and began conversing. So, WARNING: This place is not private and quiet, obviously running events to a the public. Not my cup of tea!!! ... or hardly a typical B & B.

I decided to get the strength to continue driving out of town south on "101" and actually found a Motel 6 in San Simeon on the water, which had a great attached restaurant and only $59/night for a large room with ocean view in a secured building.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank justbiz
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

You coudl drive right past this hotel without realising that it is a hotel (which we did), but once inside teh hotel is very clean and tidy and teh room we had was a good size.

The hotel owners are wonderful people though and are always helpful and available. Also the breakfast we had we fantastic.

Hotel is within easy walk of the beach and all central locations, although it is the opposite side of teh peninsula from Pebble beach and other location attractions.

Woudl highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

We just got back from a trip where we spent two nights at this hotel. We thought it would be a "luxury boutique" hotel but we feel it fell quite short of this title. It is an older building that used to be a hostel (with four bathrooms!) and just opened after 2 years of renovations. You can see where they tried to make sure they used marble in the bathrooms, high end shower faucets etc. But the rooms were quite small- no room for your suitcase really. And barely room for the bed. We faced the very busy road spoken about by others and since there is no fan or airconditioning we tried on the first night to leave the windows open- mistake! Lots of street noise and that really buzzy power line. The next night we closed them- less noise but even with a very chilly night it was warm for sleeping. Not ideal. The owners seem to be trying to make this work and know that they are in an area of town that is (as they call it) in a "revitalization phase"- at least they hope so. But you can't help but feel a little unsafe when you look around. As was pointed out to us, their main "market" is local people. One night when we were there they were holding an "event" on their rooftop patio for local people. We were allowed to attend- basically the only way we could buy a drink at the hotel. Lets just say we didn't feel exactly "welcome" however, we think the locals enjoyed it.

It is a LONG walk to the Fisherman's wharf area and you need a car to get to the aquarium or cannery row. However, the price was less than many of the hotels closer to the action. In the end we would say that it might have been worth spending more and being closer to the attractions. However, in hindsight not sure Monterey was worth a two day stop anyway.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple