“Nice Hike”

Jacks Peak County Park
Ranked #18 of 109 things to do in Monterey
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Nature trail nice hike with views of ocean and surrounding Monterey area. Picnic tables and restrooms available in parking area. Day fee charged $ 4.00 .

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Then you hike around, hoping to see one, but you won't. I found it amusing that the instructions advise you not to run, but to stand your ground, raise your arms with your jacket spread out and look as big as you can (who knows if they would have the guts to do that?) but they allow you to "throw a small stone" at the animal if necessary. Heaven forbid you should heave a rock at it. Anyway Jack's peak is close to town and has great views and I highly recommend it for a small respite in the woods. It's a nice place for a picnic. We were there when it was super dry, unfortunately the prevailing conditions these days. Recently they got some rain.

1  Thank pittsbird
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I'd like to comment on how uncrowded it was, but then I would be giving away that we hiked on Christmas Day, when the park was officially closed. Still, the trails are well maintained and extensive; the views of Monterey Bay are superb, and there were enough elevation changes to get our aerobic workout. A great place to go for a hike, or even a picnic!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I unfortunately can't give this park a great rating. We took the trails suggested on the web, but didn't see much scenery. There is a long distance view of Monterey/Monterey Bay from the Lower Ridge Trail, but only a couple areas where you can see it. We took the Lower Ridge Trail/Skyline Trail/Jack's Peak Trail/Rhus Trail/Madrone Trail/Earl Moser Trail loop, and then hiked the road back down, It looks like Skyline Trail should have an ocean view at the bottom, but you have to hike down and then back up, so we didn't take it with the kids as we had already hiked quite a bit. It was very dry as we are in a drought right now, so the habitat wasn't very green. There is a lot of dead tress. Maybe this comes to life after February after the rainy season? Even if it was green, it wouldn't be my idea of a scenic hike. There are picnic tables in the parking areas which is nice, but they are not in level areas. We had to prop one side up on some logs in order for the table to be level (they can't be moved). There are bathrooms which were decently clean, so that is a plus. You do have to pay the standard $10 parking fee if you drive up to park at the top. If you want to forgo the fee, park down before the gate, but it is a hike up. In my opinion, there are much better and scenic hikes that I would take such as Point Lobos (excellent), Garapata State Park, or Henry Cowell State Park. If you did want to see a view here, I believe if you hike the entire Skyline Trail it should have a nice ocean view.

2  Thank Sonya C
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were here mid-week. Barely a person in sight. A crisp, clear day with beautiful views of the Bay. What could be bad?