“Excellent trip”

Ranked #3 of 42 Tours in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: 84 Fisherman's Wharf #1
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had a wonderful and exiting trip, evenwith some friendly whales, we could almost kiss them! This organization really knows what they are doing and take enough time to enjoy and watch them.

1  Thank Erik G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This company is an excellent way to see the whales. The smaller boat helps eliminate dealing with a ton of tourist and the naturalist do a good job of engaging people in the whale sightings and biology behind the sea life.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I really didn't expect to see so many dolphins and whales before the trip (as i've done a whale watch in Boston and not see a single watch). It was an amazing experience seeing 200 over dolphins just swimming in a group - was breathtaking. We saw 2 different species of dolphins that day. After that, were whales and more whales - many lone whales at a far distance, but after that there was a group of about 6 whales just swimming together - absolutely delightful. And I should note that when we spotted those whales, only the boats from Monterey Bay Whale Watch were around. But do get on the Sea Wolf II boat (I didn't get allocated that boat); that boat was always so near to the whales! Wonderful experience overall and the trip was over 4 hours.

1  Thank jellybellymelly
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We did see a lot of whales and we were very lucky that one of them came up right next to our boat. It was beautiful... And scared me as I thought it could easily tip the boat over :)
The staff was very friendly and checked with all the guests if they were having a good time. If some one was not feeling well (motion sickness) they were really nice to them, giving advice and trying to cheer them up. But most importantly, it was all about whales and other sea life. Very informative!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

There are two main companies that vie for your business on a Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey.

Essentially both involve a one hour boat ride into the bay to see whatever type of whale is currently active. For us, it was humpbacks.

The first company is located directly on the main walkway fo the wharf. It runs a large ship with quite a lot of seats both inside and outside. The second, Monterey Bay Whale Watch, is about 50 feet away on a side pier to your left of the main walkway. Monterey Bay Whale Watch (MBWW) is slightly cheaper in cost -- by about $5. Their ships, however, are smaller and lower to the ocean.

We decided on MBWW because they have a naturalist on board. The bay is chilly and because you are lower you may get some water spray on the trip out. We went in August and the boat was filled to its capacity. There is not a lot of extra seating. So it is not easy to move around. Smaller ships tend to be a bit more rocky. The swells were not too bad but I would guess if the ocean was a bit more high, there may have been a few seasick people. The naturalist was nice as were the crew. The naturalist was there more to answer questions and point out any animal of interest. It was too noisy with the engine and the ocean to have heard much of a lecture anyways.

When we finally arrived at the whales, it was simply amazing. We were fortunate to see over 30 whales with many breaching. Lots of time was spent viewing. At one point two whales came quite close to the ship. It was incredible. Then back to the wharf -- another hour back.

For me, which company to pick is a toss-up. I suspect the larger boat with the other company is a bit more comfortable both in seating and in rougher seas. However, because you are a bit higher from the sea, your closeness to the whales would be reduced. In any event, it is an experience not to be missed in Monterey (plus there is not much else to do).

I would have given this event five stars except for one somewhat rude staff in the booking shed who was unpleasant to a European family whose English was passable but not great. When you show up at the booking shed prior to boarding, you give the staff your reservation number, you pay, and they give you a boarding pass. It is a bit unclear and somewhat chaotic. There are two entrances to the shed. The European family went to the back door (as did I). The father asked how does one pay and board and the staff person said in a mocking manner that you go stand in the line at the other door with everyone else. And then she turned her back on him. I could tell he was a little embarrassed and I was a bit pissed-off at the staff member.

Totally uncool and not necessary. Not sure why any staff would be rude to people visiting Monterey and using your tour company. That family had six people and, therefore, they would have spent over $250 to book their tour. To be honest, if I had not prebooked, I would have gone to the other company at that point. However, after that everything went smoothly and everyone else was quite pleasant. So, did not enjoy that one rude booking staff person but loved the actual trip.

If you are the owner of this company, we were on the Thursday August 7 2PM sail and that rude staff member was one of the two females taking money. She was not the person sitting at the desk running the credit cards through, she was the other person "assisting". Shame on you for being unkind to that family.

14  Thank OntarioTravelboy