“Excellent hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here 2 nights as part of our California trip. Hotel is clean and in a good location to the wharf and Cannery Row. The staff was helpful with directions and restaurant recommendatons. Would definitely stay here again.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Lars S, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Christine,
Thank you very much for your superior comments, We pride ourselves in providing a clean, comfortable room experience which it sounds like you received. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are on the west coast.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our California trip. The hotel is walking distance from the wharf and Cannery Row! We had a top floor corner room which was superb! We slept really well, v.good a/c.
The hotel staff were brilliant, thanks guys for the Highway Code advice ( you know who you are) and restaurant recommendations!
We enjoyed the breakfasts each morning in the hotel.
Well recommended:-D

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Supakev10,
Thank you for the excellent comments, nothing pleases us more than a satisfied guest. We hope that you will visit Hotel Abrego when your travels take you to The Monterey Peninsula.
Waterford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in interconnecting rooms in this hotel. Each room was modern with lovely rich decor. The bathrooms were very new and spotless. Each room had lovely robes and a coffee machine with huge televisions and very modern but homely looking electric fires. The hotel is in an area which has lots of hotels but is in walking distance of the wharf and cannery row and the aquarium also. When in the states we stayed in a number of hotels in the same price range but this hotel had the nicest room for the money we paid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MorrisseyFan
Dear Morrisseyfan,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hotel abrego, we value your feedback as we are always learning. I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt our rooms were a a great value. We look forward to your next visit to beautiful Monterey.
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a Spanish boutique style near the wharf area. It is clean and we had a large room. Disadvantage is check in is not til 4pm. I thought the young man who checked us in was a little haughty-not friendly. Overall it felt like no-one was in charge. There is a pool but not much seating around it so if its busy you have to sit on the concrete.
Waitress was friendly but when asked if she could recommend somewhere to visit between Monterey and San Francisco she had no advice. On the first day we left our bags early and said we were going to the Aquarium. The front desk did not have the wit to say oh the queues can be long we sell tickets which will let you straight through. As it was we went there and there was a 30 min queue so we went back the next day.
A 2 mins drive or you could walk on the same side of the rode up is a lovely shopping centre with several restaurants. Get breakfast here and absolutely try the lalla grill which serves brilliant food at a reasonable price !
There is coffee and biscotti in the reception at breakfast time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the pool or not over the car park.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Sali W
Lars S, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Sali W,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Hotel Abrego. I apologize that the check in was less than outstanding. Your feedback will help us tremendously. I hope you will come visit Hotel Abrego again in the near future.

Best Regards,
Hebron, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here on our way down the coast of California after a few days in San Francisco. The property is beautiful, it makes a great first impression. Unfortunately when we walked into our room the first thing we noticed was how hot it was in there (I'm sure it was 80+ degrees) so we looked for the A/C controls only to find that there weren't any in our particular room. When we asked the front desk they said there was no A/C and the best they could do was provide a fan. Our room was right outside the pool area and parking lot so leaving the window open at night was not an option and by the time we woke up in the morning it had to have been over 85 degrees in our room. The one thing I look for in a hotel is good sleep quality and this was the worst night's sleep we had on our 10-day trip to California.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jennacole6
Lars S, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Jennacole6,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I appreciate the honesty and feedback. I apologize that your expereince was unpleasant. I agree that a good night sleep is the most important factor of an overnight hotel accomodation. Please call me directly as I would like to speak with you regarding the expereince.
831-324-4615
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

As most of the others say, great rooms, great location, heck, pretty much a fantastic hotel, all said. However, during my recent stay, I was woken by noises outside my room not once, not twice, but three (that I remember) times during the night. The first was obscenely loud techno music, the next, revelers looking for their rooms (not a problem, normally and, had sleep shown up that night, nothing to write home about), and then at 6 or 7, what I assume were workers arrived and had an incredibly loud shouting match/conversation outside my window. None of this is the problem. I could live with any and all of that. The issue I take with the hotel is the price it charged me and the assumption on my part that it would be better than a Super 8. It's not, not by any means, and I will be saving the 300 dollars I spent on a room in which I couldn't sleep and just stay at the Best Western next time I'm in the neighborhood. At least they won't charge me for breakfast...

Room Tip: Book the Best Western next door.
Dear Mike K,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I apologize that your stay was unpleasant. I will bring up your comments at the next management meeting. Please call me directly in order for me to apologize directly. 831-324-4615
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel for one night as part of our California road trip. We found the staff extremely friendly on check-in, giving advice on where to go for dinner in Carmel that the evening and also recommending the 17 mile drive which was well worth it.

We found the room to be clean and spacious. The bed comfortable and the Wi-Fi reliable.

It's a shame we had to leave early in the morning as we did not get the opportunity to try any of the hotels facilities or breakfast.

A flying visit, but I would still thoroughly recommend the hotel, it was one of the nicest we stayed in during our visit to California.

The staff also recommended some great places to eat on the Big Sur as we continued our road trip. These were also very good recommendations!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Matt Q,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit. I am pleased that our staff was able to acomodate you and give great directions. Hopefully you will be able to stay longer on your next visit to Monterey.