“Romantic Get Away”
Review of Hotel Abrego

Hotel Abrego
Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We enjoyed our 22 Anniversery at Hotel Abrego. The staff was excellent. The food in the Lounge, Dinning Area was so tasty. The crab cakes was my favorite and the Tiramisu.
We the room was very clean ( big on my list) and fireplace was a nice touch for a romantic getaway.

Reviewed 2 March 2011

Abrego is an older (read 70's/80's) hotel that has been recently updated. Rooms are simple and clean, beds comfortable, parking (free) is fairly available, and though I didn't notice air conditioning (not sure that it would be needed, necessarily), there was a fireplace with a thermostat in the room we stayed in. The room was comfortable, staff friendly. There is a heated pool and hot tub.

Within a five minute walk are several restaurants, a Peet's coffee, some shops, a French bakerey (big recommendation!), and other things to see & do. The wharf area is about ten minutes of easy walking. Cannery Row is a drive, but there is meter parking (if you look for it) that can be had for a few dollars.

Abrego is not in the middle of things--it is at the edge of "stuff" going on. We kind of like it that way, though, as it is easy to jump in the car and head off to other locations (check out Carmel, Big Sur, etc.). Cannery Row appeared as more of a tourist trap, with very high relative prices for food/parking/everything; we are glad that we didn't stay in a hotel there. Abrego is not a luxury hotel, but it is nice and clean, and easily compares favorably to any modern, well-run Hampton, Courtyard, etc.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Our initial impressions of this hotel were very positive. The room decor was lovely, There was a fireplace & large flat screen TV. Everything seemed new & meant to impress. But, even though it is a fairly new hotel, we noticed that it must have been built quite cheaply as things were already coming apart. The toilet was coming away from the wall, carpets stained etc. The fashion statement sinks are quite impractical as they are too shallow & water goes everywhere & no good for soaking anything in. The walls must be thin as we could hear everything in the hallway & next door.

We also had problems with the front desk staff person who was very haughty and unhelpful.

If you planning on spending time down near Cannery Row, the location of this hotel is not great. You will have to pay arounf $20. for all day parking down there and hotel is certainly not walking distance.

In a pinch & only if the price is good, would I stay there agin. As it gets older I'm sure it won't age well.

2  Thank bjay3
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Checked in with a group for fellow clients from abroad. Front desk person was rude and condescending attitude. Not the 1st impression that I was looking for. The to top it off while in the middle of the coldest day of the season there was no heat avaliable in the room.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
tracycall, Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2011

The input of each guest is always welcomed and considered a valuable tool for hotel management. I sincerely apologize to the guest for their experience with the front office personnel and with the comfort of their guestroom. Hotel Abrego is committed to providing friendly and attentive customer service to each and every guest of our hotel. This guest’s comments are contrary to the high level of service we strive to maintain in every department in the hotel. In regard to the guest’s comments regarding the heat in the room, this room was inspected by management and engineering staff. The room features a fully operational heating system which provides adequate warmth in any weather. Again, we thank the guest for their valuable input.

Hotel Abrego

Reviewed 25 February 2011

We enjoyed our stay, the room was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. I would recommend to those sensitive to street noise that you make sure you get a room away from the street noise, ( towards the back of the hotel) .

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2011

While the hotels appearance is very nice, I was left disappointed overall. First, the rooms were very noisy; I could hear every movement around me. When I checked in I was told we had been upgraded to a premier room, but I was greeted with a very small room that could barley accommodate the queen size bed it had. Second, while the restroom was nicely decorated, my towels were worn and one even had a hole in it. Third, I was also surprised that they did not have TNT or any premium channels like HBO. When we inquired, we were told that they had just upgraded their cable service and those channels were no longer included as part of the cable package. What? When we left we felt as if we’d stayed in a Comfort in, not a primer hotel. I ‘m sorry, but I can’t say that we would go back or recommend this hotel to others.

Gene Figg Jr.
Saty: 1/20/11 thru 1/21/11

2  Thank ramses023
Reviewed 18 February 2011

My husband & I stayed here this past weekend. I booked it through Expedia & get a really good price. The hotel is nice & so is the staff. We stayed in a Premier King & it had an oversized king with a nice flat screen tv that hung over the fireplace. The bed was comfy too. The only thing I wish the room had was two comfy chairs to sit in while you watch tv, there was only one & a desk chair. There is a restuarant that serves breakfast & dinner, with a limited menu. They also serve beer & wine. The location is good but we usually drove everywhere because most places we went to where over a mile away. We would stay here again!

1  Thank LuvRelaxn