“Best Venue on the Pier/Boardwalk but no American Express” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #79 of 297 Restaurants in Monterey
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to our Trattoria. We’re an informal, rustic restaurant featuring traditional Monterey Old Fisherman’s Wharf fare alongside authentic rustic Italian.It’s the kind of place where as soon as you step in, you feel like one of the family. Paluca is a combination of the names of our two cherished boys, Paolo & Luca, who are the inspiration behind our unique home-style eatery.Your host, Sal Tedesco, was born in Sicily and grew up the son of one of the famous Italian fisherman who gave the Wharf its name. We feature Monterey Old Fisherman’s Wharf favorites including our famous Fish & Chips, Calamari & Clam Chowder. Our menu highlights some of Italy’s best dishes including Pasta Puttanesca, Pasta Palermo & Sicilian Prawns.The Tedesco family welcomes you with heart-felt Italian hospitality.
Ferndale, Washington
“Best Venue on the Pier/Boardwalk but no American Express”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My daughter and her boyfriend been there several times and love their clam chowder. She took me there for lunch. Of course we ordered clam chowder, my daughter warned me that chowder comes in shallow bowl gets cold very quickly, so I order a cup. It was very hot and tasty. We also ordered another appetizer, Sicilian Shrimp (consisted of 5 decent size out of shell shrimps in marina sauce (too salty, got very thirsty later on) and three diagonally thin slices of toasted garlic bread, $11.95). For entree, my daughter ordered one of the two specials of the day which was grilled/broiled Alaskan Salmon (3-ounce) on a bed of Caesar Salad for $19.95 (for lunch and small portion of salmon I considered it slightly high). I ordered calamarie with fries, but asked for fries substitution which was a small portion of the usual baby green salad with balsamic vinegar dressing, dried cranberries and toasted caramelized walnut. The taste and appearance of salad was familiar and typical, but still good. The calamarie was of generous portion and light breaded (not the usual thick breading), for $11.95 (good deal) All in all foods were tasty and good atmosphere. We sat outside on the boardwalk, but there was a main floor inside and an upstair which extended only to part of the building allowing one to look up and was beautiful. One thing I did NOT like was the restaurant would not accept American Express, I was totally disappointed and had to pull out Visa/Master. Had I known that American Express was not accepted, I'm not sure if I would eat there.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

San Francisco
“Don't be put off by the touristy appearance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We decided to give this place a try for one of our dinners over the Labor Day weekend, as it is just next door to Crepes of Brittany (a place we loved, reviewed separately) on Old Fishermen's Wharf. The menu looked like it had plenty of choices to our group (two grandparents and two young granddaughters), and it did not disappoint. We all wound up ordering pasta main courses and they were exceptionally well prepared with generous sauces. The artichoke hearts appetizer was also a hit. Wine choices were quite limited but very reasonably priced, and the service, once we were seated, was prompt and very friendly. The only reason for less than five stars is that, although we had called ahead for a reservation and arrived on time, the greeter (who seemed somewhat harried and out of sorts) did not bother to check. Also, the seating arrangements are varied -- we were inside on the main floor and seathed next to a family with three young boys, so that worked out very well. There is a small mezzanine with tables and that looked like it would be uncomfortably warm on the warm day were were there. There are also tables outside on the deck, some with heaters, and those looked like they would be pleasant. No hesitation in recommending this place for the food and views, plus good service, as long as you aren't expecting white tablecloth formal service.

Visited September 2013
Tehachapi, California
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We felt like seafood pasta so we walked the Wharf, checked out the various restaurants, and decided to try Paulca Trattoria. This place was not very busy but was very inviting. I love the interior decor; it was cozy and modern with a great view. We had great and prompt service. We ordered the pesto calamari appetizer and shared the seafood pasta (added mussels for $3). The calamari came out and it was cold! We reluctantly sent it back and they made a new batch. The calamari must've been frozen because coming "straight from the fryer" the calamari was still not piping hot as you'd expect. Still yummy but wished it was hot. The seafood pasta was delicious. It was a great balance of flavors with a good portion of seafood.

Overall, this charming restaurant won us over with its delicious pasta. The prices are affordable with friendly staff.

• Visited August 2013
monterey,ca.
“delicious and different on the wharf!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

After being told at Abolonetti"s that the wait would be 30 minutes.....( locals don't want to wait ); we walked back to our car; I remembered a review of Paluca Trattoria.... we decided to walk down the wooden pathway and try this out-of-the-way Italian restaurant.....And, so glad we did!!! The pesto calamari;...so delicious and what a way to begin your culinary adventure!! Next course, the most delicious fried artichoke hearts.... My linguine carbonara was a dream of deliciousness; the delicate cream with pancetta exactly what I needed....My partner enjoyed the toasted smoked salmon panini!! What can I say but can hardly wait to enjoy Sal's restaurant again and again!!

• Visited August 2013
San Diego, CA
“Don't miss this place if you are at the Monterey Fisherman's Wharf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Following the Tripadvisor reviews we decided to try it, and my wife and I had an excellent experience. I had the Linguini ( cooked al dente, of course) with fresh Pomidori sauce, small bits of chicken, and other ingredients, a pefectly balanced and tasty dish. My wife had the Fritto Misto consisting of calamari, shrimp and white fish, deep fried with a tasty and crispy batter. Great value for the money we spent.

• Visited July 2013