“walking history & orientation”

The Original Monterey Walking Tours
Monterey Original Walking Tours
Ranked #11 of 41 Tours in Monterey
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The best way to see Monterey is up close and on foot with the Original Monterey Walking Tours. Our tours are informative, entertaining and fun for all ages. See why our Cannery Row Walking Tours and Historic Monterey Walking Tours have earned us the tripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence five years in a row.. Join a scheduled tour or book a private tour for your group.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Vienna, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“walking history & orientation”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I took this tour in February on my first day in town to get oriented. It was a very historically informative walk, highlighting sites I might have otherwise overlooked.
It was a great overview of the origins of Monterey and the forces that influenced its development. Mr. Diggins was gracious enough to hold the tour exclusively for me as I was the only participant in attendance at the meeting site. (My spouse had work meetings.) I recommend the tour as a way to get oriented to the heart of the town and to learn a bit of history.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank vsw3121

Bridgend, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Non attendance of tour guide”
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Just as it says ! We stayed overnight in Monterrey just for this tour but Thom Diggins just did not turn up, neither did he let us know that he couldn't attend. He (or the company) had our email address but did not let us know. Very poor practice. Beware other tourists.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Sue E
tdiggins, Owner at The Original Monterey Walking Tours, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
My sincere apologies, you are right to be upset. I was traveling home from a business conference the night before when a flight delay and missed connection forced me to spend the night at LAX. In my confusion and frustration I neglected to notify you. When we spoke on the phone on the morning of our scheduled tour, I was in my car, driving back from the airport. Unfortunately, your plans did not allow us to reschedule later that day. I hope a similar circumstance does not occur again and, if it does, I will certainly remember to notify my customers.
Greenbrae
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Do NOT miss Thom's historical walking tour of Monterey!!!”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My partner and i booked Thom's tour this past week on a perfectly lovely Winters day (high 70's no wind or clouds in late December!). Thom knows his stuff: history, legends, historical buildings and landmarks AND great places for lunch along the warf. We highly recommend this walk and suggest similar when landing in a town for a great orientation.

Visited December 2013
Reno, Nevada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Its as Good as its Gets!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We went on this tour in mid November (Sunday) and only my wife and I were with our tour guide, Tom. We chose this tour because of the previously excelllent reviews. Tom is passionate about the history of Monterey and has the rare ability to bring history alive. When the tour was over we really felt we had been part of the early days of Monterey and learned so much in such a short period of time. The is a GEM of a tour that should be included in your itinerary.

Visited November 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Thoroughly enjoyed our walk!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

For our anniversary, we chose to spend the weekend in Pacific Grove. We've been to the PG/Monterey area several times and were looking for something new to do. My husband is a big Discovery Channel/History Channel/NatGeo fan so an historical tour seemed like something he would enjoy. We had a great walk with Thom, learned tons of things we didn't know about the Monterey area and the history of California in general (we are both transplants from the mid West).

Really excellent tour and a lot of fun!

Visited November 2013