“Terrible service”

Ranked #38 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Richland
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights July 2014. Rooms very small and dated. No AC which made the rooms hot and stuffy. No screens on sliding door so we didn't want to leave it open for airflow. Front desk was able to provide a fan which helped. After the first night, we went to the aquarium all day and returned at 2:30pm. Our room had not been serviced. I called the front desk and was informed that the housekeepers were on their lunch break and she would notify them when they returned. Took the kids to the very nice pool and returned to the room at 4:10 to find that the room had still not been serviced. I went to the front desk and spoke with the assistant manager who informed me that I had to request early service to have my room serviced in the morning. I didn't realize the 2:30 in the afternoon was considered early service. The assistant manager called the housekeeping supervisor and had the room cleaned within 30 minutes. She stated that they had 75 checkouts that day and had to clean those first. Apparently guests staying more than 1 night had to receive
inferior service because of that. Overall I was not pleased with my stay and would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Korean first
Oakland, California, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I feel like Monterey isn't the place to get bang for your buck when it comes to hotels. This place is pretty average for its price considering the location. It's about up to par with most of the other budget hotels in the area, which is to say it's just ok. Clean enough...quiet enough...nothing special...nothing terrible. TV quality is pretty bad, although if you're in Monterey hopefully you aren't watching TV all day. No AC, but they did bring us a fan which was nice. Decent pool, OK bed, and not too far a drive from downtown and cannery row.

Free parking and free Internet is a plus.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sacramento
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Honestly I think people complain about the smallest things. I read the other reviews, decided to stay here, and glad I did. The pool is very nice and the staff is very friendly. The rooms are large, clean, and private. There was a free breakfast, free parking, and free wifi. The wifi was a little slow, but it was free so who can complain? If you put the price and the quality together, you got yourself a great hotel to stay at.

Stayed March 2014
San Jose, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This review is for the Travelodge on Fremont Street, NOT the one without any parking in downtown Monterey. There was some confusion when first arriving in town. This Travelodge had plenty of parking and is conveniently located near downtown without being smack dab in the middle of it. Room was big, mini-fridge & microwave were convenient, TV was huge, all basic amenities met. A solid hotel, good deal on price, very nice staff, and rooms are undergoing upgrades that should make it even better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for one night only during the Big Sur Half Marathon weekend, and found the room to be quite comfortable. We didn't necessarily have high expectations of a Travelodge, but were pleasantly surprised at how clean and large the room was. Room was also located on the backside of the hotel so was quiet, which was a must for a good night’s rest prior to the race. Overall great value and would stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I read all of the reviews before booking the deal to stay at this particular Travelodge. Although there were many mixed reviews, I thought the place was pleasant. The staff was entirely accommodating, very knowledgeable about what to do in the area and was able to provide 24 hour service. The room itself was surprisingly cozy, the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and fully stocked with everything I needed. My only complaint was the pressure of the shower was a little too harsh. Overall I had a good experience and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
vacaville
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I checked in a little after 10 p.m. Front desk clerk was very nice, then told me after giving me my room key that the room phones and the Wi-fi were temporarily down, due to upgrades. I would have NEVER booked knowing this information alone. She said the Wi-fi only worked in the business center and the lobby, which explained the overly crowded lobby. Lol! The room... stain of some sort on one of the blankets on the bed. No air conditioner, super small bathroom, plumbing a little shady. Thought every time I flushed the toilet it would overflow. To conserve energy, the refrigerator was turned off, so no need in thinking I was going to keep our drinks cold. I was told when booking the room that I could have a late checkout (12pm). After using my cell phone to call the front desk to let them know, the man acted like I couldn't do it and sounded frustrated Asking me "well, what time did you want to check out?" I said, "12" and he said, "okay, it can't be any later than that" I replied, "Thank you" and he hung up on me. Nice. So, the room served its purpose in giving me a place to sleep but no, I wont come back. Breakfast=bagels, sliced muffins, bread, boiled eggs, cereal (non-sugar), bananas, apples, orange juice, and coffee.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank mzcross1128

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels