“Course needs a facelift!”

Laguna Seca Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: A Robert Trent Jones Sr. signature course that offers 18 challenging holes, at par 71, and follows the natural terrain of the coast along the scenic Monterey-Salinas corridor.
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I love this layout, one of my favorites, but the greens and bunkers are worn out. Played there several times recently and the greens were terrible. Potted, weedy, and neglected. Some fast some slow, some in between, very little uniformity other that being pock marked by a plant virus or something. Number 10 green has actual weeds growing in it and is terribly pock marked. Number 2 green has some kind of problem, a large dead spot. It's been that way for who knows how long, they just paint a drop line around it and leave it for dead. Sand traps don't have much sand left in them, just dirt that turns into mud when wet. I think they just refill them with left over fill dirt, there are little pieces of rock in them. I hate to be so negative because I love playing this course, it's just being severely neglected.

1  Thank Tripping222

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I enjoyed this layout, it's challenging enough for the skilled golfer yet not so penalizing that more casual golfers couldn't also enjoy it. Overall it was in pretty decent shape, the greens were firm and rolling pretty good, only noticed a few greens that were a bit rough in places. I teed up as a rusty 6 handicap (coming from Canada in mid-November) and shot 79 from the tips. I'd recommend any single digit to give it a go from the tips and higher handicaps to move up.

I played it with my girlfriend as a 2-ball and our biggest gripe was pace of play. We realize that we're going to do a bit more waiting as a 2-ball, but it took us 5 hours to get around on a Saturday teeing off at 11:12am. Anywhere that I play 5 hours is unnacceptable, even for a Saturday, and there was no marshal in site.

I didn't like the 15th hole. It's a par 5 that parellels the par 5 13th hole, and the local rule is out of bounds going from 15 over to 13. I don't agree with having out of bounds within the course, but I guess the reason they did this is that the 15th tee shot is tight and you run out of room long and also left to a hazard, so I'm guessing people would bail to 13 and have a clear shot to go to the green. I hit my tee shot with driver down the right side and barely stayed out of the hazard on the left near the end of the fairway, not knowing it was sloped that way and that the hazard came into play so much off the tee.

Other than that it had a lot of great holes for good value.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Laguna Seca is a fun course and a good test for most golfers. The front 9 is very scenic with beautiful trees, elevation changes, several strategic dogleg holes and nicely designed bunkers. The back 9 has two or three quirky holes. The course was in good condition in September when we played. We played a Thursday morning round in under 4 hours.

1  Thank TominCA
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Played on a Sunday, 3/4/13 and the round was long due to scheduled club tournaments. The course itself was nice with many elevation changes. The clubhouse and rest rooms are in need of some work, but serviceable. The fairways were dry, lots of roll, and the greens in need of some attention. The greens were to be plugged sometime in the near future and rollling them will help. We all kept seeing breaks that weren't there. Not a bad place to play I think if you get a good price on Golf Now. It's really 3.5 stars, but not as good as Pacific Grove Muni.