“A good place to dine if you enjoy sports” 4 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in on the corner of Calle Principal and Franklin Street in Downtown Monterey. Characters features (10) 40-inch Flat Screen HDTV's, (1) 4x8-foot HD Projection Screen, Free Wireless Internet Access, and a Wii Game system. We carry all major Sports Packages including NFL Ticket, ESPN Game Plan, ESPN Full Court, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, as well as most Satellite Sports Channels like the Big Ten Network. Characters serves a full menu daily, including Appetizers, Fresh Soups, Salads, Sandwiches, Entrees, Desserts, and a full Kids Menu. We also pour from a full bar, including 7 tap beers and a premium wine list. Come and enjoy our great food, friendly staff, and casual atmosphere, whether you are visiting from out-of-town or a Central Coast Local!Our Specialties include Award Winning Clam Chowder (Best Clam Chowder; West Coast Chowder Festival 2011), Grilled Chicken Nachos, Boneless Short Ribs, and great Burgers and Sandwiches! Happy Hour 4-7 M-F...
Seattle, Washington
“A good place to dine if you enjoy sports”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had a very good lunch at this restaurant. Good service, that was fast and friendly. There was a wide variety of sports displayed on the various televisions around the room.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank ThomWalls

Sacramento, California
“hit and miss, better options”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I know we are not supposed to expect much from hotel restaurants but I've been in some good ones so I was disappointed when I had to ask for a server, ended up with an ambivalent bartender and waited a LONG time for our meal. Anyone with kids does not want to wait forever to get a meal. The food was fine, but with so many other good places around the corner, you don't need to settle. I will say they have a lot of tvs.

Visited February 2014
Clid B, Manager at Characters Sports Bar & Grill, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Good day and thank you for your feedback. I have sent you a private message to follow up and do hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience in the future typical of our team. Warm regards,
Los Altos, California
“quite disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stopped in here for a bite to eat during a stay at the Portola Hotel. The food was barely warm and the service was oh so slow. Treat yourself, and walk down the block and choose from the wide variety of food offerings.

Visited January 2014
Clid B, Manager at Characters Sports Bar & Grill, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your response and feedback. I am disappointed your experience was not as you had expected and do hope any future visits you may have are enjoyable as shared by other valued customers such as yourself, warm regards,
Santa Rosa, California
“Good wings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is a nice place to watch a game. Plenty of TVs.

The Happy Hour was just average and the beer price difference was not that much.

I ordered the wings and they were very good. I order wings "dry" and then dip them in sauce. Characters' wings are fried crisp (not battered) and are juicy on the inside. Their Buffalo sauce was good.

I choose Characters because for some reason two other places I tried to watch a game were closed.

I would have given Characters a 3 if the wings were not so good. I find it difficult to find wings cooked this well.

Worth the stop for the wings.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Staff is very friendly and the food is decent too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

The staff here is always very friendly and helpful with suggestions on food choices and places to see in town. I eat the bar and interact with the staff and other customers.

Visited December 2013