“Does the job”
Review of Monterey Surf Inn

Monterey Surf Inn
Ranked #42 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Nice room, the manager was good in terms of telling me what was on offer in Monterey, and at the accommodation, but at the same time seemed very busy, and not that personable. The room was very good - comfortable, clean, and quiet. The breakfast was a bit average though, as it's a take back to the room setup. Overall it was good enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Bedroom and bathrooms are clean, good price and is top notch. Flat screens are nice. Easy to get to Pebble Beach and local restaurants. No problems with hearing through walls. Nice little duck off. I stay here every time I go to Monterey, which is twice a year on business.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank LoKey2
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The girl at the desk had very broken English. She had to repeat everything she said, so that I could figure out what she was saying. The room was very clean, but one of the beds was pushed right up against the heating/cooling, so I was in fear of leaving it on heat for very long, for fear it might catch either the bedspread or the curtains on fire. The remote to the TV wasn't working. There was no coffee maker in the room. The reservation said there was Free breakfast, but there wasn't (I was given a discount, $5, when I complained about there being no breakfast). But, I must say, the room was very clean. That would be the only reason I would consider staying there again. Oh yes, and although the pool was "heated", it was closed.

Room Tip: Get any of the rooms above number 25. After that, you're too far from the office. Free coffee on...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We initially stayed at this hotel in 2011 when we were trying to figure out what city/area of northern california we'd like to possibly have our wedding at. We were so impressed with the remodeled rooms and great customer service and pricing that we decided to stay here again when we drove back to Monterey for our cake tasting, and even ended up staying here and having all of our wedding party and friends stay here for our wedding in 2012 and stayed here again for our 1 year anniversary in 2013. We've stayed here 4 times over the course of the past 3 years, and considering that is quite some time for a non-commercialized non-major-chain hotel to either change ownership or go down hill, it's nice to say that this place has only gotten better. The last time we were there in November 2013, we were told that they are planning to do even further renovations. the rooms are spacious and very visually appealing considering the price you pay per night, including granite countertops and comfy beds. there is also a nice little continental breakfast that is included in the price every morning. The ownership takes great pride in their accomodations and the customer service we have received each and every time we have stayed here has been wonderful, along with the awesome prices with its great location and nice rooms, we are sure to return again just as soon as we can, and highly recommend this place to anyone who needs a place to stay in the Monterey area. Great location, amazing prices, awesome rooms, spectacular customer service, we highly recommend you try this hotel to see for yourself. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrsgutierrez77
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here during the Big Sur Half Marathon weekend. The location was great! It is within a mile from the starting line. Less than 10 minute drive to all the restaurants downtown. The area was quiet. Room is very clean and decently decorated. Everything was working fine - shower, tv. It has a small refrigerator and microwave inside. The airconditioner makes a loud noise though. The motel is next to the road but the noise level is so much better in comparison to staying at hotels next to Hwy 1. Ear plugs will do the trick if you're a lite sleeper like me. They have decent basic continental breakfast every morning from 7am -9am. For the price we paid, its worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ToniLuvsScuba
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Big comfortable bed, simple breakfast included, nice flat screen tv with plenty to choose from and located beside a lot of other inns just outside of town. We didn't get to use the pool because we stayed in winter time but it looked clean. At the price we paid, I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Colm_Road_Tripper
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Ok so this place is definately not posh spa/ resort kind of place but for the price this is probably one of the best places I've stayed at on Munras Ave. I frequent Monterey a lot throughout the year and I stay over a week at least 3 times a year. I have always stayed on Munras at different hotels but always passed this place up (not sure why). Anyways recently my husband, daughter and her friend went out there a for a 3 night stay and my daughter picked this place. I couldn't have been more happy. The room was average nothing spectacular but it had everything I needed. It has a nice TV, good size fridge and microwave. The continential breakfast was great! The bed was my deal breaker. It was so comfortable I actually had great sleep. The room was clean and everyone seemed very friendly. The place was quiet and the company there seemed like good wholesome normal people. I will definately continue staying here on my trips to Monterey and hope that you who reads these will give it a try and see how you like it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family