“Good Stay...”

Ranked #41 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Los Angeles, California
“Good Stay...”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is a 5 minutes drive to Cannery Row, the Aquarium and Fisherman's Warf. Basically an inexpensive stay that is close to everything. The room was clean and provided a goods night sleep. We stayed from Friday to Sunday and found the area quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms are in a straight row so there are no "good or bad" locations for the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank christmastree15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Any bad review of this place is off the mark. Good, clean, cheap place to stay. The outside is adorable, and and the inside is recently remodled, and very neat. Beds are comfortable, better than normal motel fare. This place was way worth the $60 I spent.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank arotherm
montereysurfinn, Manager at Monterey Surf Inn, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review about your recent stay at Monterey Surf Inn
Monterey, California
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Surf Inn for over a month because of work. I enjoyed my stay. The rooms have been renovated recently, so they are quite nice (I was surprised when I opened the door).
The motel staff are pleasant and professional, so I have no complaints there.
There is no breakfast provided, but the rates are reasonable enough, so I didn't mind getting my own breakfast. Denny's is just a little walk down the hill.

One of the downsides is that, like many of the motels in that area, the pool is right next to a busy street. I brought my ear plugs one day and my headphones the other. But the pool situation is tolerable considering that the neighborhood (Munras street) is certainly a lot better than the Fremont Street Area from Seaside to Monterey to the highway 1 entrance (Fairgrounds area) and that the really nice hotels in Monterey charge a fortune.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank HeWhoWalksTheEarth
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I'm still coming to terms with this place. I mean, it's so SO SO cheap and given this one tends to expect that it's gonna be pretty basic and, to be honest pretty disgusting. This place is neither, it's actually really quite nice. The room was clean, it had a tv, fridge and microwave. It's well situated too, my wife and I like a drink so naturally we couldn't drive - however there's a shopping precinct just minutes away and the beach is no more than 25 minutes walk...and besides the area is gorgeous so why wouldn't you want to walk. Sure it's not 5 star, but is doesn't pretend to be. This place is incredible value, I mean it. For what it costs it far exceeds what you expect. The negative reviews on here would be minded to check their credit card statement to remind them of this. Genuinely recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tiernanwelch
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Small but nicely remodeled rooms with wood floors and tile bathrooms. I had a comfortable King size bed. Excellent maid service. I had a multi-night stay and each day the room was cleaned and arranged nicely. Friendly desk service that let me add a night to my stay at the discounted rate I originally booked at. I have stayed quite a few places in Monterey and I think tis is the best value for a no-frills stay. Save your money for the attractions! Definitely returning!

Room Tip: The one on the end has a hot tub! I stayed in two middle rooms, 14, and 17. Both were excellent co...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank IamStubb
Paso Robles
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was awful - it was dirty and smelled and I was afraid to take my shoes off - it completely grossed me out. Getting in and out of the parking lot was a nightmare. They charged me up front 4 days and when I told them I only needed 3 they said I had to give 3 days notice. I did not even care, I just wanted out of there. DEFINITELY NOT A PLACE I WOULD EVER STEP FOOT IN AGAIN!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Camdon123

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is the most disgusting hotel I have every had. I wasn't expecting much when I drove up but thought how bad can it be. It was bad the two rooms they gave us one was not made up from the previous party and the other was musty and full of mold. Needless to say we did not stay there and had to fight with the staff to get them to return our money as there wasn't any better option.
A terrible experience with a baby to get settled in for the night.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peggy C
montereysurfinn, Manager at Monterey Surf Inn, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
We just want to let the other guest know that this guest did not stay with us.
Thanks