“Surprisingly nice” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Buffalo, New York
“Surprisingly nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

We chose the Surf Inn because of its location and price, and were very happy with it. Service was good, the room was clean and comfortable, but we really enjoyed the make-your-won-waffles station in the morning as well as the heated swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

You could tell they spent some money renovating this older hotel and it looks great. They have a nice flat screen TV, marble showers with good water pressure, the beds are comfortable. The location is perfect, within walking distance of a mall that houses PF Chang's and California Pizza Kitchen. The property is clean as are the rooms. The staff are very pleasant & helpful. They also give you a little souvenier, a Monterey shot glass - a nice little touch. I would definately recommend to family & friends and plan on staying here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Fareham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

This is a well priced room within easy reach of downtown Monterey. The room was clean and although rather small contained all that was required for a short visit. The only complaint was that reception was not open 24 hours a day and therefore the complimentary breakfast could not be obtained prior to leaving at 0645.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

Stayed at the Surf Inn for 2 nights as we explored the Monterey / Carmel area. Throughout our trip to California we stayed in hotels and this was our only "motel" experience. When we arrived we were given Room 29 which was stuck in the corner. The room was dark and dismal. On opening the blinds we had a view of the back yard which looked more like a junk yard. We immediately requested to be moved to another room. The desk clerk had no problem in moving us to Room 16. This room was clean and bright and basically comfortable with a view to the front parking lot - which all the other rooms bar # 29 had. The breakfast room is tiny and the choice is limited. The Surf Inn is situated about 5 mins from the centre of Monterey and about 10 minutes from Carmel so it's a good location for exploring both towns. It's also across the road from a shopping mall where there are a couple of good places to eat. Would I stay here again ? ...... No ! I would pay a few dollars more to stay in a hotel. As they say........you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Sonoma, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

Thank goodness we only decided to stay here one night instead of two, they gave us a pretty good deal, and when we got to the hotel we understood why. Their website is a total farce, their rooms don't look anything like what they have on the website, we even peeked at some other rooms that were being cleaned. Our room was dingy, dark, smelly, dirty, and the bathroom needed repair, we also had a nice hole in the wall too. A waste of your money and time, don't go here.

• Stayed July 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
montereysurfinn, Guest Relations Manager at Monterey Surf Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Guest review for a wrong hotel.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

A great motel to stop at just off route 1 in Monterey. The staff was very friendly, the room was large and clean. And being a single story motel, I parked directly in front of my room, and I didn't have to haul my baggage up a flight of stairs. When I checked out and told the front desk clerk how much I enjoyed the room, he gave me a small ceramic drinking cup as a "thank you".
David Kampf
Phoenix, Az.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Grover Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

I traveled here with the expectation that my two children could swim in the "heated" swimming pool. The water was ice cold. I asked the staff member if the temperature could be adjusted and she offered an illogical excuse about the external temperature affecting the water temperature (since it was also cold outside). I then asked a second time if she could heat the water just a little and she said she would. My husband, who was already in the water, said there was no heating mechanism at all in the pool, so I think she was just trying to appease me with false assurances about warming the water. The pool area had no towels and the staff said we should just bring the towels from our room, which I thought was very inconvenient and cheesy. The morning breakfast was tasty (waffles), but there was no syrup, batter, milk, or orange juice available when I arrived and I had to wait at least 15 minutes for these to be brought in. The dining area was very tiny and sloppy--it was obvious that no one was maintaining it, wiping tables, or restocking anything. The rooms were nice, though small. Also, I had to call twice to ensure that a crib could be reserved for our room--the first staff member implying that since another guest already reserved one, that there might not be another one available for my family (which I couldn't believe...did they only have one available crib??). Luckily my husband called again and we were told that we could have a crib. When it was brought, there was no bedding provided. Although these things were irritating, I didn't let them sour my trip. However, I won't stay at the Monterey Surf Hotel again if given the option.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family