“Nice historic property!”

Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Calexico, CA
“Nice historic property!”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Found the hotel to be in a nice convient location, just a short walk from Old Fishermans wharf and Cannary Row! The positives are nice historic touches and architectual details with high ceilings and beautiful bay windows with shutters. The minuses are just a little bit of street noise and wished the pillows were a little more comfortable. Overall, i enjoyed my stay and would recommend it in lovely Monterey!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Santa Rosa, California, United States
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon. We paid for a regular queen room because that's all we could afford, but the hotel was nice enough to upgrade us to a Fireplace Suite at no extra cost! They even sent us a nice bottle of champagne. Their staff was extremely helpful and brought us everything we needed. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! It does not deserve the poor reviews others have given it. It is an OLD building. Expecting luxuries like A/C and an elevator is asinine, and as for the noise, there are noisy seagulls EVERYWHERE in Monterey and places close to water. The hotel itself is fantastic and worth every minute I spent there!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Overall: The location is ideal to the convention center (within a block or so – walking distance). But it’s a very old hotel, without a working elevator when I was there, and no working AC in the rooms (staying there in early August). I had to leave my window open to get some circulation through the room, and the seagulls, sea lions, and seals all had conversations throughout the night. OMG, so annoying but impossible to close the window unless I wanted to sleep in 80 degree plus heat! The front desk did offer to send to me an oscillating fan, but I declined. Probably good to get one if you are in the area during the summer, but I’m guessing that the rest of year really you don’t need A/C. Needless to say, not the best sleep. That is one of the main reasons I rated this as "Poor" and unsure if I would pick this place for another business trip!

I’m glad I read about parking because it was down the street and you need to move your car every 24 hours (or at least remember to buy another ticket if you’re staying there without moving your car). But as I was here for a convention, it was only a minor inconvenience.

There was a neat farmer’s market that was in the middle of the week with the market in front of the hotel. That provided a nice flavor of Monterey.

Check in: No issues in checking in, minus the stair climb to my floor. What I wuss I am – I should be praising the incorporated exercise, but I wasn’t excited to have a mini workout after a 1.5 hour drive.

Rates: Paid $149 per night as part of the conference deal. No resort fee.

Room: Stayed in 416, which was at top of the building. Climbing those stairs is tough with luggage! It’s an extremely small room, the desk to do work was not ideal for hours of working at a computer (a standard wooden desk with a small chair) and not many outlets to plug in my many devices. I also got the feeling that the room was old and dirty, not a specific example I can point to, but I think because it was old and cramped it just gave off the feeling of dirtiness.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Driggs, Idaho
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Hotel was clean and the staff was very helpful but on the second floor above the street it did get a bit loud. We were provided with headphones but it didn't completely fix the problem. It is in a great location and I would definitely recommend staying here as long as you are a deep sleeper.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Monterey County, California
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The location is good & convenient in downtown Monterey & walking distance to restaurants, bars and Fisherman's Wharf. The staff is friendly but the hotel itself needs a lot of work. The King room beds barely fit in the room which I am sure were originally built for much smaller beds. The paint was also peeling on the bathroom cupboards and the bathtub could have used some grout. Since its an historical hotel there is no elevator, you can hear your neighbors walking around in the room above, and being that its Monterey there is also no A/C so the small rooms get stuffy. There was also some sort of generator that kept going on and off all night...not exactly conducive for a restful nights sleep.

The hotel offers a Continental breakfast in the morning which is a nice touch, however this could be improved as it was pretty basic at best, perhaps add options for those with lactose allergies or gluten free restrictions. More healthy options would have been nice and more fruit.

Overall not bad for 1-2 nights but do not plan on longer.

Newport Beach
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The hotel is located in downtown Monterey within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf and a short free trolley ride to Cannery Row. The staff was extremely friendly and the room was small, but clean. Note that there is no elevator, so if you have problems with stairs, then this hotel is not for you. My room was a petite queen on the top floor, and I had no problem with the stairs.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank trevor6964
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect for visiting many of Monterey's attractions. I would recommend wearing earplugs at night (provided) because the seagulls & street traffic can get a little noisy. The front desk staff was very friendly, we would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed August 2012