“Even if you find a good rate, Don't stay here”
Review of Monterey Hotel

Monterey Hotel
Ranked #20 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here in early June for two nights as part of a San Francisco/Napa/Monterey trip. I had found a rate onliine for just $75 a night while we were there, and despite reading other reviews on trip advisor, I thought well as long as it is a clean, safe place to stay then it works with such a low rate. Here to say now after our experience there, I wish I would have spent a bit more money and stayed elsewhere. Its true that there is no elevator, but the bellman carried our bags up to our room. The parking lot is just two blocks away and it is $6 every time you enter. The room was quaint as in small and old furniture. All in all though those three things didn't bother us. The worst part was the noise. The noise was so bad that we could hear every moment of the room above us. We were right by the staircase so everytime someone would go up or down it sounded like a herd of cattles...added to the fact that there was no elevator you heard luggage clunking down the steps at early hours in the morning. We had brought our own ears plugs anyways from what I had read and we basically still didn't get any sleep. Then after our first night in the hotel, I went to shower that morning and there was no hot water. After we asked about it at the front desk it appeared that hot water was not working for the entire hotel. If I had to recommend a place for someone to stay, I would say either to spend more $$ and stay closer to Cannery row or find a place in Carmel, we overall liked the town of Carmel better. Even if you are just looking for a cheap, decent place to stay because you are spending more on other areas of your trip, (which was my mindset) I would still not recommend staying here because I promise you will get absolutely no sleep (even with earplugs).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DbigCloud9

Reviewed 13 June 2009

I stayed here with my new wife on our honeymoon on our road trip down from Seattle to LA. Great trip but in amongst motels and hotels, this was the worst of the lot.

The hotel is quaint as other reviewers have pointed out, the staff try hard but cannot make up for the wafer thin floors and walls.

We stayed in a "fireplace suite" and were tempted by a "good rate" of around $140 but in comparison that was the same as we had payed the night before for the hilton in San Francisco so it was certainly not a bargain. The room and facilities simply did not compare. There is a Marriot and a Spa hotel just up the road, I would opt for those at any cost.

The other reviews have mentioned the rustic nature of the rooms, the bed is comfortable if you can actually get to sleep but it is currently 3:30 in the morning and I have just called down to reception because of the unbearable noise to be told to use earplugs!!! Every move that the couple made upstairs (yes, i mean every move and every sound!) could be heard clearly, i can hear every word the guy next door is hearing on his television.

We have even said we will leave now for a full refund to be told that cannot be done, and we have to wait for the manager to come in at 7AM.

The concierge carried our heavy cases up 3 flights of stairs, we tipped him well as the lift does not work. Other reviewers mentioned valet parking but I saw no evidence of this, they directed us to park up the street or in a car park 2 blocks away.

We can hear taps in toilets around us all the time, every little noise can be heard.

There were a bunch of girls drinking and screaming in a room downstairs earlier, and there is a grumpy looking female security guard patrolling the place, which makes me wonder what this hotel is used for in general.

Avoid this hotel at all costs, you couldn't give me the room for free and convince me to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank honeymooncoupleuk
Reviewed 18 May 2009

This grand old hotel in the middle of Monterey was a great find. We booked cheaply through Travelzoo and the room met all of our expectations, apart from no A/C. The rooms have ceiling fans but were still quite stuffy in the evenings. However, this didn't detract from the overall experience. The staff in the hotel were exceptional and helpful throughout. Parking was $17/day - a little expensive, but with a cheap hotel rate, we didn't mind this too much.

We found Monterey wonderful and charming, and the hotel is well situated on the main street, a short walk to the harbour and 10-15 min walk to Cannery Row. A continental breakfast was included, however we chose to go to the Old Monterey Cafe on Alvarado St and weren't disappointed!

We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2009

The room was small and poorly lit but otherwise OK. We were there to visit the aquarium and have dinner so the location was great and we were just looking for a place to lay our heads. The hallways reminded me of the hotel in "The Shining" and there was construction going on that woke us up at 6:30 or so, but otherwise it wasn't terribly overpriced if you just want a basic room.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I have been travelling to Monterey every quarter for more than 15 years, and the Monterey Hotel remains my go-to hotel. It's perfect for those who really want to enjoy Monterey, as opposed to those who want to sit in front of a TV in a hotel room (which seems to be most tourists). Let me explain why this hotel is perfect for "Those In The Know":

1.) Location, Location, Location.
The hotel is smack-dab in the middle of downtown. This means you're right there for the Tuesday Farmers Market and Santa's visit (during the holidays). It's across the street from the Golden State Theatre, for those of you who actually love moviehouses (with such live acts as Willie Nelson, Bryan Adams, etc.). You're close to the Bijou movie complex, the restaurants, and you even have the Aveda salon next door (nothing like getting a day at the salon while rain is falling outside). You don't need a car, let me put it that way. If you take the bus or the Amtrak connection, it's a short walk from the Transit Plaza (how sweet is that).

2.) Staff and Authenticity
For those of you who live in the suburbs and therefore believe it's a Marriott World, please continue to live within-your-little-box. This hotel is for the rest of us who actually enjoy life. The Monterey Hotel has the turn-of-the-century decor (real wooden furniture) and the staff always does their best to accomodate you. For example, on my last visit, they were building the hotel addition (luxury suites), so it was noisy in my favorite room. They immediately moved me to a quieter room, then called me to make sure I was happy. The housekeepers get the job done quickly and always wish you a good morning.

3.) Otters, Dolphins, and Sea Lions, Oh My!
If you know Monterey, you're there for the walking, the beaches, the fresh air, and the food. From the hotel, you can grab your board and walk to the beach for a good morning of skimming (the local beach is one of the best for horizontal skimboarding). Or you can just walk the beach with the locals and their happy dogs. Or you can walk to the wharf. Or you wan walk to Cannery Row. Or you can walk to Pacific Grove. The walking trail takes you all the way past PG to the beginning of Pebble Beach. WOW! Who needs a gym when you have otters, dolphins, and sea lions!

4.) Inexpensive
I've never had to pay big $ for a room. I always get a queen or petite queen room, which fits perfectly. Their new addition will have suites, but really their current rooms work fine. You still hear the sea lions at night but without the cost of the other hotels.

Issues? Every hotel has issues, but if you know about them in advance, they're not that bad.

- Noise at night. There is a local disco around the corner and they rev up the music towards the weekend (not every night). Of course, if you want to join them, have fun. If you're trying to sleep, you can either close your windows or just wait for the closure, which happens just past midnight.

- Elevator. The hotel has a turn-of-the-century elevator that isn't used, so be prepared to walk yourself up. They do have a bellman to bring up the bags. In any case, I have little patience for huge people who go on trips with huge suitcases, then whine about having to walk up a staircase. If you don't know how to travel, stay at home, folks.

Tips! Here's some info if you're new to Monterey:

A. The hotel has a complimentary breakfast. However, I suggest you traipse over to:
- Loulou's Griddle In The Middle.
(right next to beach, fun breakfasts, and you sit with the locals)
- Paris Bakery Cafe.
(is there anything else that equals a fat cappuccino and a fresh brioche in the morning? Real pastries, jambon and cheese on baguettes, and locals for conversation)
- Rosine's.
(on same block as hotel with wonderful omelettes and french toast)
- Old Monterey Cafe.
(other side of street from hotel, good breakfasts)

B. Take a hike...or bicycle...or kayak...or swim.
- Walk the trail from the Wharf to the golf courses.
- Rent a bicycle or four-wheel surrey and use the same trail.
- Rent a kayak and be one with the otters.
- Swim the quiet area of the beach, make way for the sea lions.

C. PG (also known as Pacific Grove).
- Most people walk the Trail but never get past the aquarium. Walk further on and on the right you'll see the Harbor Seal Hangout, where the local homeboy seals relax and play. Walk further until you get to the lovely coastal victorians and turn left. A few blocks up is the Pacific Grove downtown area with food, shopping, books, and much more. Nice place to relax when your tired feet need a breather. Yes, spend a day at the aquarium, it still rocks, but Cannery Row and the chain shops are for the suburbanites.

D. Eats (without driving).
- Yes, there's the Wharf. Sure, it's a tourist trap, but still fresh seafood. Rappa's remains the favorite, for the views, the professional staff, and the bartenders.
- Indian Summer. Right behind the Custom House and the bocce courts. A mint lemonade with spicy fish and fantastic chicken and a fire pit and hookah lounge outside. Unique.
- Pubs. You have three within walking distance. Guinness, karaoke, malt vinegar, all have the basics, but good fun, what the heck.
- Off the trail. If you're a walker, you can get to PG and hit Passionfish and Crystal Sushi. Yum. Justifies the walk back.

So, if you're into self-entitlement, stay at the chain hotels and eat at the chain restaurants. If you're independent, enjoy Monterey and the Monterey Hotel. Life is good.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Gatobut
Reviewed 3 December 2008

The first night we were there we noticed the room was very small. The king sized bed took majority of the space. There are no DVD player of VCR.

The rooms are not very well insulated from noise or temperature. We happened to have stupid noisy inconsiderate neighbor in the back of our bed. They were just simply talking, but we can hear most of their conversation through the thin wall at 2:30 in the morning. We contacted the front desk about the noise, they did call them up and took care of the problem.

We can hear most of the street noise through the single paned window, which also had condensation on the glass in the morning. At night, the hall way light shine through the cracks of the door, which sometimes kept us awake because it shine onto the bed. I don't see why they can't place some insulation in the gaps to seal off the door. Due to the gaps we can also hear people talking or walking in and out of the hallway.

The furnitures in the room looks good, antique style. The closet is very small. We got special rates due to they were in middle of remodeling, but regular price is over $150 a night, I would think the room would be bigger and better insulated from noise.

For the price and location, there are better hotels around Monterey.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We had a great stay at The Monterey Hotel in downtown Monterey. The location was great. Either walking distance or minimal cab fair to everything Monterey. The room was adorable. A Victorian feel with luxurious amenities. The bath in the fireplace room is awesome! It is slightly noisy as any downtown hotel is, but the quaint room makes you feel like you are miles away. Also, the staff was great. Very accommodating! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business