Monterey Hotel
The Stevenson Monterey(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$487
US$301
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa(Monterey)
US$144
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$156
  • Restaurant
Monterey Bay Inn(Monterey)
US$288
  • Breakfast included
Monterey Bay Lodge(Monterey)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$88
Travelocity
All reviewshistoric roomsgreat locationhistoric sectionfisherman's wharfstreet noisefarmers marketfireplace suiteantique furniturecharming hotelrooms are smallalvarado streetbagelscontinental breakfastwalking distancevalet parkinglight sleeperfree trolley
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Our expectations were pretty low, and were exceeded by our room. It was small (the bathroom was nearly as large as the main room), but clean.

There was some noise from the hallway early in the early evening, but not enough to disturb our sleep.

Although this place was more my parents' speed, we enjoyed it. A short walk to Fisherman's Wharf is a bonus.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2009

We spent a night here and were upgraded to a fireplace room. It was huge and very roomy w/ a separate living room area from the bedroom. The only noise we heard was when we were in the living room; you could hear when people opened and closed their doors. Otherwise we didn't hear anyone talking or their tvs. The only annoyance was that we arrived on the day of the farmer's market (Tuesdays) where you have to park off to the side in their designated loading parking spot since the street facing the front of the hotel is closed off. People were rude and made so many nasty comments while my boyfriend waited there and I went to check us in and request the valet. The upside is that there was a lot of counterspace in the bathroom :) We were also a nice walk to the pier and saw a bunch of seals lounging around.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here in early June for two nights as part of a San Francisco/Napa/Monterey trip. I had found a rate onliine for just $75 a night while we were there, and despite reading other reviews on trip advisor, I thought well as long as it is a clean, safe place to stay then it works with such a low rate. Here to say now after our experience there, I wish I would have spent a bit more money and stayed elsewhere. Its true that there is no elevator, but the bellman carried our bags up to our room. The parking lot is just two blocks away and it is $6 every time you enter. The room was quaint as in small and old furniture. All in all though those three things didn't bother us. The worst part was the noise. The noise was so bad that we could hear every moment of the room above us. We were right by the staircase so everytime someone would go up or down it sounded like a herd of cattles...added to the fact that there was no elevator you heard luggage clunking down the steps at early hours in the morning. We had brought our own ears plugs anyways from what I had read and we basically still didn't get any sleep. Then after our first night in the hotel, I went to shower that morning and there was no hot water. After we asked about it at the front desk it appeared that hot water was not working for the entire hotel. If I had to recommend a place for someone to stay, I would say either to spend more $$ and stay closer to Cannery row or find a place in Carmel, we overall liked the town of Carmel better. Even if you are just looking for a cheap, decent place to stay because you are spending more on other areas of your trip, (which was my mindset) I would still not recommend staying here because I promise you will get absolutely no sleep (even with earplugs).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DbigCloud9
Reviewed 13 June 2009

I stayed here with my new wife on our honeymoon on our road trip down from Seattle to LA. Great trip but in amongst motels and hotels, this was the worst of the lot.

The hotel is quaint as other reviewers have pointed out, the staff try hard but cannot make up for the wafer thin floors and walls.

We stayed in a "fireplace suite" and were tempted by a "good rate" of around $140 but in comparison that was the same as we had payed the night before for the hilton in San Francisco so it was certainly not a bargain. The room and facilities simply did not compare. There is a Marriot and a Spa hotel just up the road, I would opt for those at any cost.

The other reviews have mentioned the rustic nature of the rooms, the bed is comfortable if you can actually get to sleep but it is currently 3:30 in the morning and I have just called down to reception because of the unbearable noise to be told to use earplugs!!! Every move that the couple made upstairs (yes, i mean every move and every sound!) could be heard clearly, i can hear every word the guy next door is hearing on his television.

We have even said we will leave now for a full refund to be told that cannot be done, and we have to wait for the manager to come in at 7AM.

The concierge carried our heavy cases up 3 flights of stairs, we tipped him well as the lift does not work. Other reviewers mentioned valet parking but I saw no evidence of this, they directed us to park up the street or in a car park 2 blocks away.

We can hear taps in toilets around us all the time, every little noise can be heard.

There were a bunch of girls drinking and screaming in a room downstairs earlier, and there is a grumpy looking female security guard patrolling the place, which makes me wonder what this hotel is used for in general.

Avoid this hotel at all costs, you couldn't give me the room for free and convince me to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank honeymooncoupleuk
Reviewed 18 May 2009

This grand old hotel in the middle of Monterey was a great find. We booked cheaply through Travelzoo and the room met all of our expectations, apart from no A/C. The rooms have ceiling fans but were still quite stuffy in the evenings. However, this didn't detract from the overall experience. The staff in the hotel were exceptional and helpful throughout. Parking was $17/day - a little expensive, but with a cheap hotel rate, we didn't mind this too much.

We found Monterey wonderful and charming, and the hotel is well situated on the main street, a short walk to the harbour and 10-15 min walk to Cannery Row. A continental breakfast was included, however we chose to go to the Old Monterey Cafe on Alvarado St and weren't disappointed!

We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family