“Didn't enjoy my stay...”
Review of Monterey Hotel

Monterey Hotel
Ranked #19 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 21 January 2006

If you like the antique styling, this is a nice-looking hotel. The location is great, also... right in the middle of downtown Monterey. There are lots of great cafes on the same street!

I have stayed at several hotels and motels in the Monterey area, and I didn't enjoy my one-night stay. There is a salon at the entrance of the hotel, and each time we walked through to the lobby, there was always a smell of nail polish and hair coloring, even when no one was there. There is no elevator, so you had to walk up the stairs and it was loud whenever anyone walked up the stairs. The rooms were small. There were four of us and our room had two double beds. There was no room to walk around. We literally had to climb over the bed if someone was watching tv because the armoire doors were up against the bed! The bathroom was spacious but didn't seem very clean... The walls were also very thin. I was awoken in the middle of the night by banging on the wall by our neighbors. In the morning, we could hear kids playing in the hallway.

I would never choose to stay here again. There are motels about a half a mile away that are cheaper and nicer, and offer a more relaxing stay.

Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank jnettes

Reviewed 25 October 2005

plus=
it was cute and well kept up. the dark detailed wood furniture in the rooms was a nice touch. the staff was friendly, it was in a convenient location and the breakfast in the a.m. was actually good.

minus=
we were on the fourth floor---with no elevator it was a bit cumbersome.
no parking---they have daily valet parking at the cost of $15 a day...Otherwise you have street parking that needs to be moved every hour.
loud at night after the bars close. we had a room in the back--but basically all sides of this hotel face the street with bars all around. first night was so bad that we bought ear plugs for the second night---but the second night we were some of the bar patrons- so the noise did not affect us as much ;)

i would go back again despite the noise level issues...

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank fishesandhoney
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 June 2005

I would have to say that is one of the best stays in hotel I have ever had.

It was a special night out for my wife and I and this hotel was perfect. We had a Bueatiful suite that overlooked Monterey Bay. The staff was excellent, the helped me to my room and help me set it up for my wife, (They were just as excited as I was to set up the room). The manager was so helpful with the details of the area and was very kind. The stay was very nice and the breakfast was great to. I am recommending this hotel to anyone who reads this and will be visiting the Monterey area, I know I will be back.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 7 June 2005

We stayed for 2 nights at the Monterey Hotel. We had read other reviews and requested a back room (because of loud street noise from the adjacent bars). However, when we arrived, there were no back rooms available. They kindly upgraded us to a suite in the back. This room normally costs $309. It was very spacious with beautiful antique furniture. But the carpets were stained, the bedspread old & ripped, and the water cold and clouded. The next day we returned to our suite and our key did not work. They had moved all of our belongings to another standard room, without notifying us! This room was small and cramped. Again, the linens were old. Even the back rooms are polluted by late night street noise. Alvarado Street is a great location, but the late night drinkers/smokers fill the streets until 2am! There is an elevator but it doesn't work. I am very active and usually take stairs anywhere I go, but having to run up and down 4 flights of stairs each time we entered or exited was very inconvenient. One compliment: The staff was delightful! Serjio was very helpful and courteous. Despite the kind assistance of staff, I would not go back to the Monterey Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 13 April 2005

My family and I stayed at the Monterey Hotel and loved the beauty of the building, antique furniture, and friendliness of the staff. We received a free upgrade to a King size bed. Unfortunately that meant a room streetside. The noise from the street kept me awake until well after 1 a.m. - - and this was a Monday night!! Also, the walls are quite thin, and you can hear people in adjoining rooms. The room was very small, and if we had to spend too much time inside, I would have become quite claustrophobic. The room was clean, however, and we loved the fresh-baked cookies for an afternoon treat! Overall, my stay was fairly positive, but I don't think I would return.

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 March 2005

This is one of the cutest hotels I have ever stayed in. When you walk in the decor and ambiance is that out of an old movie. They have done a great job of keeping the hotel old fashion. The elavator doesn't work, but walking up the stairs through the beautifully decorated floors was really a treat and the exercise was well needed! They do offer to help carry your bags up if desired.

The room was small but not uncomfortable. The furniture was beautiful mahogany and the fixtures all matched the era. We had two windows without much of a view but we weren't in the room that much so it didn't really matter. This hotel is great for couples but I wouldn't reccommend bringing the kids, the windows were low to the ground and had no screens.

We stayed on a Friday night and there was some street noise from the adjacent bars although with the windows shut it wasn't much of a distraction. The location right in the middle of downtown was great. We were able to walk to dinner, the wharf, and the bars without having to drive.

One recommendation I have is the parking. In this area all the parking is 1-2 hours from 9am to 6pm. We got there around 4 and parked a couple of blocks away in 2 hour parking. We didn't mind the extra walk and saved ourselves $15 on the valet parking.

Overall I would say a great stay. We didn't have any problems, the staff was nice, and the breakfast was great.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank TravelingKJW
Reviewed 1 March 2005

Monterey, CA The Monterey Hotel, Downtown Monterey

We have been visiting the area for many years and have always stayed at one of the larger hotels in the area. Due to a large convention in town, we were unable to stay in our regular spot - THANK YOU convention business - We found a real gem in the Monterey Hotel! The turn of the century charm was everywhere. The location was perfect for our morning walks to the warf, our afternoon glass of wine, and the dinner options were endless - all a short walk from the Hotel. The service from the staff was exceptional, the second day we were on a first name basis, and they felt like family. We started to look forward to the warm cookies in the afternoon! We felt our vacation got an upgrade, because we stayed at the Monterey Hotel. We now have a new home away from home.

4  Thank St_Paul_MNCjl