“Not my first choice to stay in Monterey.”
Review of Monterey Hotel

Monterey Hotel
Ranked #19 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Yes, the location is fine but the amenities are bare bones. Have stayed in much nicer places on the peninsula. Thought there was a lack of "soul" here. Sorry just my opinion. Can't really put my finger on it but we won't be staying here again.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Monterey Hotel

Reviewed 15 November 2010

The hotel location is excellent, with the Monterey airbus one block away. The rooms are fine, the bathrooms are clean, the beds are nice. The breakfast is nothing special but it is not bad either. No complaints.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Stayed here october 2009.

Went round a few hotels in monterey which i found rather expensive and still charged ten dollars for wifi.

Finally found this little gem of a hotel, in a great location, great room and superb value.

Definitely recommend it to anyone statying in Monterey.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Charming hotel with beautiful features, pleasant and helpful staff. Great location within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants, Fisherman's Wharf and Convention Center.
Half the price of the nearby Portola and Marriott Hotels with much more charisma.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2010

After reading the reviews here and checking their website, it was what I expected and exactly what I needed! I was attending a conference so I came and went alot. I walked to the Monterey Conference Center and everywhere else I ventured. I was fully aware there was no elevator and it didn't bother me at all. I reserved a room through Expedia (where you can get a better rate) and requested the most quiet room available. In room #215, I did not hear all the street noise or seals barking, but occasionally would hear someone using the creaking stairs right next door. The bed was firm and comfortable and I found a firmer and larger pillow in the closet which I preferred.

The staff was super friendly and helpful with all my needs! Upon arriving, I found a heap of papers in the closed and asked a bellhop about it. He apologized and took it away immediately. In a few minutes, he brought a bottle of wine and candy to my room and apologized again. Very nice! I loved the free Internet! I enjoyed the continental breakfast. The coffee was fabulous! Twice I asked for some ice and the desk personnel sent an ice bucket full. Once, I asked for some hot water to make hot cocoa and they offered to bring a hot water dispenser to my room. I used their computer and printer to print my boarding pass before I checked out. They called a taxi for me when I left.

VERY IMPORTANT! This is a historical building that was designed and built in 1904 by Architect William Weeks. The European style hotel has been graciously updated and offers all the amenities of a modern hotel with the handcrafted ambiance of a turn-of-the-century classic. At that time, it was without a doubt the most unique and elegantly furnished European hotel west of Chicago. In 1925, you could get a room for $2.50 (I believe it was) WITH a bathroom ATTACHED to your room!

So now you understand it's historical nature...and no wonder it doesn't have an elevator. Now you understand why the walls seem kinda thin and the rooms smallish. It's how properties were built approximately 100 years ago except this one was AHEAD of its time! I loved it!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2010

This place looks great online and the reviews seem OK so we booked 3 nights. We showed up on a friday evening after driving Rt 1 from SLO. Checked in and walked up 4 flights of stairs to our room. we expected this and knew there was no elevator. Our room however we were not expecting. The walls are PAPER THIN and we could hear EVERYTHING happening in the rooms around us. Trust me some things NO ONE should have to hear, especially when the beds are THAT close to the wall and NOT SECURED to anything. if you catch my drift. And if someone used the toilet, shower, sink, tv or anything else we heard that too, from ALL AROUND.. the bed was a rock and i've slept in Motel 6's with more comfortable mattress's. As for the free continental breakfast the coffee was in a thermos dispenser and warm at best. only fruit was cantaloupe and the select of other breakfast items was poor. But again it's a free continental breakfast so our expectations were low. The only thing this place had going for it was that we could walk to anywhere but there are a million other hotels in the area so pick one of those.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jonese
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Stayed 2 nights - central location with a great complimentary continental breakfast !
Free internet and printer to use !
Room not large but very comfortable and clean.
Staff were friendly and helpful - no parking but valet worked well !
A little bit of town /traffic noise - but can be expected for a city centre location.
Excellent value for money !

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple