“My re-visit didn't go well..”

Days Inn Monterey Downtown
Ranked #24 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
orange county
“My re-visit didn't go well..”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We just returned a few days ago from our return visit to Monterey and San Francisco. We traveled to both cities last summer and had so much fun we decided to spend more time exploring them this year. We had had pretty good luck with our lodging last time so I thought I would make reservations several months in advance to insure getting the exact rooms we wanted. The only problem we had last year with this property was the elephants in the unit above ours. We were in a second floor unit across the street from the main building. To eliminate this problem I asked Mr. Sam to reserve us a room on the third floor so no one would be above us. He assured us he would do so. When we arrived, Manager Yash told me that since I hadn't re-called a few days prior to arrival, he had to place us in a second floor room again. Just wanting to get checked in, I accepted. While relaxing, about an hour later, the noise began. There must have been several kids in the unit above ours jumping off furniture onto the floor. This continued until about 9PM at which time I called Yash to complain. He assured me he would call them. The noise continued until about 11PM. I put in my earplugs and went to bed. The next morning I informed Yash that the noise never stopped after his call and he said I should have called him again. Despite those guests checking out, he didn't offer to move me upstairs. The following night was noisy but not as bad. I like the location of this motel, it's old but clean and the price is reasonable. We could have become regular guests here but since they can't seem to find us a somewhat quiet room we will stay at one of the many other hotels in the area next time. I can't speak about all of the rooms, but the two we did stay in were considerably noisier than other hotels. I think being a budget hotel, they get more families with lots of kids, thus the extra noise.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room you MUST get a third floor room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
MontereyDaysInn, Manager at Days Inn Monterey Downtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Guest,

We take pride in providing our guests with clean comfortable rooms at a good value. Many of guests have mentioned these thoughts in past reviews and we always pleased to hear these same thoughts from you. We do understand the suggestions you have made and will discuss these changes as we are always making changes to improve guest satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Granada Hills, Ca
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Beautiful room, quiet and great service - Yash was extremely helpful and courteous. Get the ice machine fixed on the first floor across the street!! Will definitely book our stay next year with Days Inn on Abrego Street in Monterey, California. Thank you, thank you for a great experience!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments about your stay with us. I was happy that you were able to enjoy the surrounding area as our location provides a central location walking distance to everything. Thank you for letting us know about the Ice Machine as we have corrected the issue by installing a brand new machine. We look forward to your next visit to Monterey
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Days Inn is very conveniently located in the downtown area of Monterey. The historic downtown is a 5 minute walk and the pier is another 5 on top of that. Cannery row is about a 15 minute walk on the waterfront.

Let me begin by stating this is a budget hotel so expectations should not be all that high. That said there are some things travelers should be aware of. The hotel is split into two parts. The main part of the hotel is a two floor hotel where you park in the centre of the property. That part of the hotel only has 3 double queen bed rooms. The rest of the double queen bed rooms are in the three floor second property which is just across the street. This is where I stayed.

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. When I was there, the gentleman was helping a traveler find something at another hotel since he was booked up. The lobby has lots of brochures etc to help people find events, restaurants, etc so start there if you are new to the area.

The second property has an interesting room numbering system. All of the rooms are in the 300s. I went to the third floor for my room but it was on the first so ask what floor your room is on in the lobby. The building overhangs half of the parking spots and you can park there, in the uncovered stalls in the same lot or on the street. The building has a very slow elevator to take up to your room or there are stairs around the back of the building. If you are on the first floor, take the stairs.

My room was clean but dated which for a budget hotel is just fine. It had a very small microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, desk, two lounge chairs and satellite TV. No movie rentals like at other hotels so if you have kids, bring something for them.

The shower head is a lofty 5ft off the ground so if you are tall, you are doing a lot of bending. The toilet is one of the vacuum style so is very loud when you flush. The beds were comfy with plenty of covers. There didn't seem to be any AC that I could find but the room was cool the entire time. The heater had two settings, even though there were multiple temperature settings, on or off. No matter how low you set the temp, it stayed on all night.

The real downside to the room was the noise. You could hear the person above sneeze, snore, go to the bathroom and walk around with the latter being particularly bad so bring earplugs. Another reason for earplugs would be the incessant seagull calling first thing in the am and all day long. Not the hotel's fault, just something to know about the area.

The hotel has a free breakfast but it is probably the most meager I have seen. Luckily there is a Denny's a block down the street.

So overall the hotel is ok for a budget hotel and if I needed to, I would stay there again if I was on the same budget or couldn't find anything else.

Room Tip: If you are in the second property, ask for the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your recent review of your stay at the Monterey Downtown Days Inn. I see that you stayed in one of our Ocean View rooms which are very popular for there additional size and views of Monterey Bay. We appreciate your suggestions as we are always looking to improve our services. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed on an overnight business trip on a tight budget. Quick check in, near everything, and nice clean room. Enjoyed sleeping with the back window open and listening to the sea birds and sea lions all night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you sharing your experience about your stay at the Monterey Downtown Days Inn. We were pleased to hear that you chose our hotel for your business trip. I will pass along your compliments to our houskeeping staff and front desk staff, they work very hard to make each guest stay comfortable and enjoyable. We look forward to your next visit to the Monterey area.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Needed a place on our way to Santa Barbara and informed the office in advance that we will arrive late.
The nice guy waited until we arrived few minutes after 10pm, respect, because his shift endet at 10. Thanks again for the warm welcome. We can recommend Daysinn as a decent location.

Room Tip: The room was large in the second floor. Everything ok. Place for our SUV was also avaiable Think al...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
MontereyDaysInn, Manager at Days Inn Monterey Downtown, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you most recent response about your stay at the Monterey Downtown Days Inn. I was pleased to here that our staff took good care of you and I will pass along your compliments to our desk agent. As many guests have stated they find tremendous value in our hotel especially since we are very centrally located walking distance to historic downtown Monterey. We have taken note of your suggestions as we take them seriously and are continuously trying to improve the guest experience. We hope you visit us aagin on your next trip to Monterey.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The service was amazing! I arrived with my family at midnight, the hotel was full and the receptionist helped us with everything. The room is clean and has a good breakfast. This is a very good option to stay in Monterey and visit all the bay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the nice compliments in regard to the service you received from our staff. Our front desk agents work hard to make sure each guests who arrives is welcomed. I'm glad you took advanatage of our central location and where able to walk to many attractions such as historic Downtown Monterey and Fisherman's Wharf. We hope to see you again in the near future.