“Do not stay here!”

Days Inn Monterey Downtown
Ranked #24 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 5 December 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! I was recently visiting family in Monterey, and thought this would be an okay room for one night. NOT! I arrive and the front desk was completely unattended. There is a bell to ring if you need assistance. I rang that bell a good 5 times and no response. I looked over the counter and there was all kinds of guest information that should not be exposed just out in the open. This is identity theft waiting to happen. I finally call the external number from my cell and a lady answers the phone. When she finally arrives she said she was in the next room and did not hear the bell. I check in and leave to go to my family's house. I returned around 10:00pm and there is absolutely no parking. Why advertise free parking if you do not have a space for every room? Isn't that called limited free parking. I drove around the area and all of the street parking is for 2 hours only. Not knowing what time I would be checking out I decided to look for parking without a limit. I found it about 5 blocks away. So here I am a single female lugging a bag in the dark and cold to get to the hotel. I arrive in the room and try to turn on the heat, but the thermostat wasn't working. I called the front desk and guess what.....no answer. I decide to just go to sleep. The temperature drops in the middle of the night and I woke up freezing. Once again I'm trying to turn on the heater and it doesn't work. Called the front desk again....no answer. The cold wakes me up again at 2am. Called the front desk and ........no answer! Finally in the morning I call the front desk and the same lady answers. I explain the room has no heat. She comes to the room, walks past the thermostat, lifts a cover from a floor heater and turns the heater on. I asked her why there is a wall thermostat if it doesn't work. She said it works in some rooms and not in others. Really??????? I ask her how a customer would know that. She said I should have called the front desk. HA! I told her I called the front desk 3 times and there was no answer just like I rang the bell 5 times and there was no answer. She refused to refund or reduce my bill. I would have been better off sleeping in my car. It was probably warmer. The shower was so old and nasty looking I refused to take a shower. I had to shower at my family's house. Stay away from this place. There are tons of better hotels on Munras with working heat, plenty of free parking, and clean rooms. Go elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Conveniently located in the heart of Monterey. Easy walk to the wharf and shops. Also close to a Peetes coffee shop. Friendly and helpful staff when checking in and out. Room was great for the price. Even though it's on a Main Street noise was minimal. Will definitely stay there again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in a large room on other side of street from main building. Bed was comfy as were 2 chairs. Shower worked well. Had micro wave, mini fridge and free good wifi. Free breakfast was reasonable. Staff (owners?) were civil but hardly friendly. Gave no info on check in.
Given cost of room this is a good spot for a couple day stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple