“Days Inn Monterey 1288 Munras Ave”

Days Inn Monterey Downtown
Ranked #24 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Pismo Beach, California
“Days Inn Monterey 1288 Munras Ave”
Reviewed 18 August 2008

I had a business with pleasure trip scheduled for Monterey.

I escape to this haven from the stresses of the SF bay area whenever I can afford it. I am an avid scuba diver and had a job interview scheduled.

I needed lodging for one night, a place to sleep, a place to clean my scuba gear, a place to clean up and dress professionally for the interview after checkout.

This was rated 2 stars by AAA.

Check in was at 3:00 pm. Despite an empty parking lot at 2:00 my room was still being cleaned.

So that gave me time to recon where I was going to be interviewed and the local area.

A little off the beaten track for people wishing to go to the aquarium.

Eazy access to HWY 1. Across from the Del Monte Shopping center.

Crowded at night.

The rooms are old but fairly well kept up.

Clean but you get what you pay for. A place to crash, read a book, watch TV etc.

They have a little fridge, a coffee service I did not use and some type of breakfast I did not use either.

It is an easy trip to Peets for good coffee.

An easy trip to Bamboo Reef Scuba shop.

Last viist I paid twice as much for kind of like the same room really.

Rode hard, put up wet kind of place. But really, for the amount of money I paid I am NOT complaining.

For my next trip down there I may stay in the same place.

Note there are two days Inn on Munras, this is the one farther from downtown, closer to HWY 1.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — kind of old and funky, you get what you pay for mostly.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank divetraveler_8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Stayed here for a weekend get-a-way. Booked a king with ocean view. Got the wrong room first, just about the time it was time to go complain, it got fixed. Got the right room but,,, room was nice but no A.C. and not even a fan, cieling, floor, window, nothing. Made the room stuffy and warm although considering Monterey was un-seasonal hot it would have been nice to have some type of ventilation. Older place, even though we were in the "new" building. Ocean view was Nice though and not what was expected based on map location. Just a place to stay is all.

• Liked — Location to downtown, Carmel, etc.
  • Disliked — No air/ventilation
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank milotian
san diego, ca
Reviewed 14 June 2008

I can't say this Motel was terrible, but it was by far NOT OK for us!! We stayed here on June 1st, 2008, expecting comfort and a decent nights stay (according to the AAA directory and internet reviews), however it was a complete disappointment as far as we're concerned! . Bad location & outside apperance was somewhat to be desired. Construction was going on with nails, mortar and wood chips all over the parking area. Exacto knife blade was found on the steps to the 2nd floor. Room was clean but with a heavy bleach smell which took hours to irratigate. It was something out of the 70's! Walls were thin and noisy so we didn't get a good nights sleep. I wouldn't recommend this motel to friends and we will definitely NOT stay here again unless in a "pinch" ! There are better and nicer budget Hotels/Motels down the road!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — old, thin walls, bad location, noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 9 January 2008

The King bedroom (in the main building), though slightly on the small side, was nicely decorated. Hotel photos on this website seem accurate. The valance on top of the curtains, besides being a pretty touch, kept the morning light out and allowed us to sleep a little later.
Perhaps we should have awoken earlier because when we went for breakfast at 9:15am (it was supposed to end at 10), the room was full and it was standing room only. I saw others enjoying their bagels and I thought I had finally found a Days Inn with bagels!! Sadly, the breakfast lady disappointed me by telling me (rather curtly) they were out and there would be no replenishing them. We settled for the bread, cereal, oatmeal, pastries (no fruit) and hot chocolate/coffee/tea/juice. I would have expected them to be better prepared for the large number of guests. Other than that, this is definitely one of the better Days Inns. No problems with smell or heaters as other reviewers have experienced. Front desk has great maps of Monterey.

Do check out the Indian Bistro nearby on Abrego called Ambrosia. The food is authentic and delicious. The chicken korma was not spicy (bucking all preconceived notions of Indian food) and had a lovely nutty creamy flavor. Great to dip the garlic naan in! Lunch buffet is a real deal at $11.95, recently increased from $8.95.

• Liked — Better than expected for a Days Inn
  • Disliked — Insufficient breakfast space
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank FriesAndFoieGras
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 3 January 2008

If you want luxury in Monterey , don't stay at the Days Inn. But, if you want to pay a reasonable room rate and stay in a clean. comfortable room relatively close to the attractions of Monterey, Days Inn is a great choice. We stayed in an ocean view room that indeed have a nice view of the bay. The other advantage is that it was in a building across the street from the main part of the motel. The room was large and very clean.

• Liked — value, clean
  • Disliked — no one ever seemed to be in the office
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Vermont
Reviewed 17 December 2007

My family and I were there for our father's funeral service. My sister & I stayed for 5 days.The first ones to arrive, my sister & I stayed in the handicap room to see what it would be like for another family member. It had a regular tub, and a seat to sit on, so he would be unable to use it as he was unable to step up.. The bathroom floors were cold! Most of the family stayed in the 300's rooms to be together. My room, #305 smelled like cat pee.
It was large, but very hot. I had to open the windows to air it out. We had to hold the handle down to flush and the sink was clogged. My sister requested a space heater for disabled husband, but had to go to the office to get it herself. The "breakfast" was stale bagels, with no fruit the first day, no milk the 2nd and the toaster kept tripping the circuit breaker. In the rooms, the plugs were all plugged into one power strip-a defiante fire hazard.
Most of the time, the desk clerks were unavailable.
My son & his girlfriend were smarter. They got a room up the street at the Clarion with a real, hot breakfast , an indoor pool and very nice people. I will never stay at a Day's Inn again--anywhere. This one soured me.

Stayed December 2007
California
Reviewed 17 December 2007

This is the hotel that resulted in my husband banning me until the end of time from booking any more hotels rooms. He hated it and I have to agree with him. Where to start? Overall this baby could use a good update, the shabby exterior and interior setting a pretty bleak tone. The spaciousness of the room was the only thiing going for it. I had booked an oceanview, not knowing that this meant peering between the buildings from 8 blocks back at a sliver of water. So I certainly wouldn't pay the extra $$$ for that again. It was also strange that our hotel room was across the street from the main hotel and front lobby. So every morning we had to cross the street for breakfast. The elevator was dicey and we thanked the gods when it stopped at the destination and we could step off. And finally, our toilet stopped working so we had to call maintenance to fix it. That was probably the final straw for my husband. On a good note, he is now is charge of hotel reservations. :)

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)