“Highlight of our trip”

Monterey Bay Kayaks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 2 Amazing paddling locations - Monterey & Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing! Kayak and standup paddleboard rentals, guided tours, classes and sales both locations. Open Daily 8:30 (except Christmas Day). Closing hours change seasonally.
Richmond
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

My 23 year old granddaughter and I spent 10 days touring California in mid-October 2013. We had been alerted to try kayaking with Monterey Bay Kayaks and along with whale watching these were the highlighst of an overall wonderful trip. We were the only two who went out at 4:00 with Alex. Everybody we met at the facility was terrific and that was certainly true of Alex. He geared us up with wet suits, which were no extra charge. Wet suits are a very good idea as they will keep you warm. You will get your butt and feet wet no matter what so the wet suits are great. Wear something minimal like a swimming suit under them. There are places provided to change and store your street clothes. They suggested that we store our valuables in the car which we did.
In their store they sell waterproof cases for your cell phone/camera which has a tether to put around your neck to keep from dropping the phone in the bay.
Our guide, Alex, obviously loves Monterey Bay and its wildlife. Alex showed us many different forms of wildlife and explained their place in the ecosystem. The harbor seals were very curious and friendly and one in particular spent many minutes playing with us. I am thankful that we took the time to visit Monterey Bay and participate in guided kayaking there. I know that this exciting experience will be fondly remembered by my granddaughter and me.

3 Thank Ken M

San Francisco Bay Area, CA
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great company to rent from”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I highly recommend kayaking in Monterey Bay along the wharf and Cannery Row in mid-October. We saw so many otters and sea lions. We also saw some huge jellyfish. Ten of us rented kayaks from Monterey Bay Kayaks for the day. Some were in double kayaks and some in singles. All of the equipment was in excellent shape. Use of a wet suit and paddle jacket comes with the rental, which was great. The $30 rental for all day let us take our time exploring and have a stop for lunch and a bathroom break without feeling any time pressure.

1 Thank BBoomer54
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very Fun - Lots of Wildlife!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My partner and I took a two hour guided tour with Scott from Monterey Bay Kayaks and loved every minute of it. We had never kayaked before but picked it up pretty quick. Our guide, Scott, was very knowledgeable about the area and the wildlife. He's a great talker. Very interesting, never boring. We were hoping to see some wildlife but were astounded by the plentiful harbor seals, sea otters, herons, white pelicans, brown pelicans and tons of other birds that we saw. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we would see as many otters and seals as we did and I never would have guessed that the animals would come as close to our kayaks as they did. Amazing! We lucked out with great weather, the water was like glass which made it easy to paddle. They provided us with everything we needed. Paddling pants kept us from getting wet. Fantastic trip. Would go again with no hesitation. Worth every penny!

1 Thank Kassy A
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Reconnect with Nature at it's California finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We did the slough ! Rented a double sea (open) Kayak and paddled our way through the slough with lots of company provided by 20 or so adorable Sea Otters , and into the seventy or so Harbour seals. Not to mention the birds ! Pelican's, sand pipers, and sooo many more.

It's hard to paddle agianst the tides, so I was glad to have the help . In all, we did 2 miles in, and saw enough wildlife and beautiful scenery to fill our cup for awhile. The 4 mile total loop took around 3 hours. In the sun I shed my layers down to a tank top.
They provide great gear, I suggest you opt for the paddle pants, and jacket (which I took off) , but no matter how you slice it, your gonna get a little wet. My paddle partner, opted for the wet suit, and paddle pants/jacket to keep warm. Wear sandles, cause your going to have to step into the water.

Go as early as you can. This time of year the winds pick up in the afternoon, making for a more challenging paddle to return if the tide is coming back in. Bring water/snacks.

Where else can you enjoy a bite to eat, while sitting on a Kayak being entertained by cute, otters with great personalities, and serenaded by the gulls, and sand pipers.

..... BRING A CHANGE OF CLOTHES, which you can change into in the bathroom at the rental building.

3 Thank Lynne R
New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“What a fun adventure!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Me and my friend rented kayaks - and had such a good time out in the bay! I saw sea otters and sea lions galore!! They would come up to us - even though we tried to keep our distance (its the law!). Very cool experience.

One thing though - take the wetsuit.
I did not and it was a 60 degree day with winds ... As soon as I launched I took on water from an oncoming wave.
Then about 30 minutes into my trip - mystery water came out of now where and started creeping up my back. The seats will be wet and although I didn't fall into the water.... I was definitely wet on my bum, legs and back! If you don't want the wet suit - bring a change of clothes for after.
Oh and a watch! we didn't have one and went back early in fear of passing the cut off time for rental!

1 Thank MinaNYC19