“Rude & Unprofessional!”

Ranked #35 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
El Sobrante, California
“Rude & Unprofessional!”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I made a reservation May 27th 2012 on The Colton Inn's web site. My reservation, that I have in writing, states that the price for my stay from November 9th- 12th would be a grand total of $166.90. When I called to confirm my reservation on Sept 26th I spoke to Bill at the reservation desk. He confirmed that my reservation was still on at the price of $166.90 and that he would send another confirmation e-mail to me. I received that confirmation however a few moments later he sent an additional confirmation e-mail over to me with a price change. When I called him back to inquire about the price change he laughed at me said there is no way they will honor the pricing I had reserved unless I had something in writing but even then "I'm just the person who works at the reservation desk you will have to call back and speak to the manager Lisa." The next morning I called and spoke to Lisa she stated that "the system must have messed up on the pricing when you made the reservation and it should have never let the reservation go though" (But it did and again I have it in writing!) She said they would not honor the reservation and there was nothing that she could do about it! She told me that she would have the general manager, David, call me back within an hour to further discus it with me. 4 days later I still had not heard back from David. So on Oct 1 I called back and spoke to Donna, she stated that David would be calling me back with in the hour. The next day I finally received a call back from a very hostile David. He was EXTREMELY rude and told me it should have been obvious that they would never offer two nights free. It was not obvious due to the reservation that I made on their website stated that it was! WHICH AGAIN I HAVE IN WRITING! David did not even offer to try to work something out with me on my reservation, his only statement was "So do you want to cancel your reservation or not" If this is how they treat their customers and run their establishment I dont know how they stay in business. I will never stay at this hotel and I will make it a point to let everyone know just how unprofessional they are!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vanessa B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Finnish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here for the Monterey car auction weekend. We knew prices would be higher than usual because of the event. We had a spacious room, although fireplace was not needed! Room is clean; beds made up and room cleaned daily. Continental breakfast in reception area (more choice than some other hotels); toast, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, hot/cold cereal, pastries, fruit, etc. Could be crowded in reception but plan is to take breakfast back to your room or outside on back patio. Evenings reception offers coffee/tea and cookies. Office staff were friendly and helpful with any questions we had.

Outside premises could be refreshed a bit; our door kept jamming to open. We were at front of hotel facing street, so request room at back. Note; a firehall is down the street but we didn't find it a nuisance.

What we like is the close proximity to all the car auctions, Fisherman's Wharf, downtown Monterey and Cannery Row. A couple of nice restaurants were: Fisherman's Grotto, Cafe Trieste.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms towards back of hotel or on upper floor; not facing street.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 24 September 2012

A little disappointed with our room, as it was dull and grey in decor. However, the staff were friendly and helpful, and we made use of the DVD rental. I appreciate Monterey is an expensive place to stay, but thought this hotel was overpriced and would not rush to recommend it.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

All average. Stayed here for the jazz festival so not a lot of availability, as most places were booked up. Continental breakfast available at reception in the morning, bagels, pastries and cereal. Cookies available in the evening. Large DVD collection available to borrow from. Don't think I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
Sacramento
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We drove down to Monterey for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary.

For a romantic trip, spending the extra money for one of the hot tub rooms was definitely worth it. It was so wonderful to be able to take a quick dip in it at any time of day or night without other guests.

We arrived on a Thursday and there were very few other guests. Front desk staff was very pleasant and we enjoyed the cookies and coffee at the front desk.

We had arrived exactly at check-in time and were given our room key. We were surprised to find that the staff was not finished with the room! There were two men still sterilizing the hot tub. While we appreciated seeing that the hot tub was cleaned, it struck us as a bit unprofessional that the front desk was not aware that the room wasn't quite ready yet. However, this was the only snag and the rest of our stay was pleasant.

Be aware that the rooms do not have central heating or air conditioning. It isn't really needed with the coastal climate. They do provide space heaters for the cooler months. Also, there is no coffee pot in the room. You must walk down to the front office for coffee, but they do keep it hot and fresh.

We took advantage of the free DVDs twice and found it to be very easy to borrow and return them.

The room, towels, and linens all appeared to be clean. The exterior of the building appears a bit dated, but the grounds are well-maintained. Overall we found Colton Inn to be a good value in this market and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The extra cost for the hot tub was worth it for a romantic vacation.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We had a misfortune to get into town when they had an antique car show; and oh boy, does this shabby, dingy, old looking and smelling inn capitalize on the occasion!! They raised their prices to $329 per night, the place that should charge a maximum of $79. (Cars were very cool by the way, but we were just passing through town on our own non-related to that event trip)
Big room and bathroom, but daaaark, weak lights that do not do the "lighting" job, "screming" fan in the bathroom. Shower was probably the worst one ever, in US at least: some "flying dust" for a water, hitting the body with a million little needles, ouch; and the flimsy, paper thin shower curtain catches on this crazy water blow and wraps your naked body every chance it gets. NOOOT so pleasant.
And the last, but not the least was a hot, tempermental attitude of the Inn's general manager, Dave Hawley. It is easy to be nice with happy clients. It is more challenging and takes peoples' skills to talk politely and calmly with the ones that are not too happy. In my opinion this man should not be a manager of any public place where they deal with people: he got hostile, antagonistic and threatening.
Do not recommend this place and would never go there again myself!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank rabbit h
ColtonInn, General Manager at Colton Inn, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
We all, in this business, get the guest that we cannot please no matter what....this was our unpleasant experience for the decade. This guest visited during the Concours car exhibition, could not understand the concept of supply and demand, WAS given a discounted rate for her stay, but was unhappy with the crowds in town nonetheless. She was unhappy with everything....she will NOT be allowed to stay at this property again

Dave Hawley
GM
North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My boyfriend and I made a trip down the coast and tried to have a mix of hotel for value and higher end. We were very happy with out selection at Colton Inn!!
We had a very nice welcome with free cookie , tea, coffee and fruit. Also free continental breakfast. They also have 300 DVDs for free to watch. We booked through orbitz and only spent 110 per night. The room was clean, nothing fancy but had balcony and fire place. It's about 2 miles form Cannery row and a bit too far to walk. They have street parking for 1.5 per house. Based on the other hotels asking 300, it was great to save money and have basic needs covered! Would stay again!!!

• Stayed August 2012