“OK for the price”

Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“OK for the price”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed here for a few days, and overall it was pretty average. The location from the major attractions was great. Monterey has a free trolley shuttle thing that can take you to the major spots, and it is just a few blocks from the hotel.

When I got to the hotel and got into my room, it was steaming hot. This was the middle of summer, so naturally I went for the AC, but to no avail as they do not have AC. So then i attempted to open the windows but found the little cranks to be either broken or very hard to open. And on top of that they made the windows (or attempted to make them) to where they can only open up a few inches. That and the water would be warm, then cut to cold for a minute or so, then go back to warm, then cut back to cold, ect ect.

I did like the movie selection, but the breakfast downstairs was hit or miss depending on when you got there. If its towards the end, there isn't much left. The cookies in the afternoon were amazing!

I got this deal on Hotwire, so I didn't choose it. I would say for the price I paid it was a good find, however, if you pay the rate they are charging on the website I would say you would have better luck somewhere else. I would say it was an average stay, nothing that warrants 5 stars. The only reason I gave it 4 is free parking. I am sick of paying for parking in California!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Finnish first
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Spent 4 nights at this hotel for the 4 th of July weekend. It was perfect. Our room was large and had a fire place. I did ot hear any of the other people in the rooms next to ours. The breakfast they have is more than enough. Hot coffee in the morning. They have cookies and fruit in the afternoon. Location is great. The people that work here are very nice and very helpful. Loved our hotel, I felt like we got a great value.
Places I would recommend to eat while you are here. All need reservations for dinner. The food we had was amazing.
Dinner

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank todarcie
State College, Pa.
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Booked this hotel on Hotwire and was originally disappointed. I was wrong. Great hotel at a reasonable rate, $97/night. Not too far from all the things to do in Monterey but far enough to be quiet. The continental breakfast was a pleasant surprise and free parking is always a plus. Did have an issue with towels, kind of weird, both night we stayed, housekeeping did not leave enough towels for our family and left no hand towels or washcloths. Minor things fixed very quickly by a very apologetic desk attendant named John. He also provided excellent directions for the things we wanted to do.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank agm11
Yucaipa, California
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were on a road trip up the California coast and we arrived a little early. They couldn't get us in for a bit, but they upgraded my room, and got us in as soon as the room was available. The beds were super comfy. The breakfast was perfect and everyone was so nice. My favorite part was the DVD collection. They have players in the room and let you check out as many movies as you want for free. It is a short walk to the fisherman's wharf and we bought our aquarium tickets right there at the hotel. We loved our visit and didn't want to leave. We went to a Hilton after this, and the experience was poor in comparison to our experience here!!!

Room Tip: They have an elevator, so you are good with any floor. I now some rooms have fireplaces.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vecchio7
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Friendly front desk staff, nice rooms with frig and microwave. Good location just blocks from downtown (less than .25 mile walk). Treats in the lobby all day long! Not fancy, but perfect for a nice little getaway.

Room Tip: Room 217 has 2 beds with a futon
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2013

After canceling at another hotel, we were pleasantly surprised when we drove up. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, property was clean and close to town, and the room was perfect. We had a king bed, a fireplace, and tiny balcony (room 221). Very happy with our stay. We went to Lalla for drinks and to be around young locals.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Great location, friendly staff, clean rooms, complementary breakfast. The rooms are all different and have a funky fun (sorta dated) feel. I have stayed at the Colton multiple times and all good experiences but others in my group have had random problems with electricity, etc.

Room Tip: just inquire about size, location and amenities like frig/kitchen as they vary signficantly
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business