Colton Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa(Monterey)
  • Pool
Munras Inn(Monterey)
Good 3.5/5
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Abrego(Monterey)
Great 4.5/5
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsbagelscontinental breakfastfisherman's wharfcannery rowshort walk to downtowndvd playertea coffeereception areaalvarado streetfree parkingmotel stylebars and restaurantsfridge and microwavehard boiled eggsthe ground floorrooms are largefresh fruit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Met a friend, who is very picky, and stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Room had 2 queensize beds that were very comfortable. The staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. The hotel is centrally located so it was easy to walk to most destinations. While there isn't a restaurant there, the spread in the morning is quite extensive with 12 choices of cereals, many types of breakfast rolls and mixed fruit bowl in addition to individual fruits. There was 5 types of cookies available as well as bite-size candies available during the day. A nice patio at back to have breakfast overlooks a beautiful creek. Even my picky friend commented on how well he liked staying there.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank liflovr
Reviewed 27 August 2008

My wife and I have stayed at the Colton Inn four times within the past three years, so I will give you my review based upon those several stays. Our review is based on an average person’s expectations.

Overall we found the Colton Inn fairly standard. When you arrive there, you will be greeted at the front desk. Usually they have small snacks and cookies out. It’s a nice touch, but I caution don’t anticipate too much into it, it’s just Costco cookies, coffee, fruit and hot chocolate in packaged form. The people at the front desk seem pleasant. Although during each of our four stays there we were never warmly greeted, just a standard “hello” you would get from a fast food restaurant. There was never any small talk. The motel manager frankly just seemed robotic and burned out each time we were there. If I ever had a request, I was always hoping an employee was managing the front desk instead.

The guest room décor is pretty much typical. Each of the times we stayed there, our rooms had a dvd/vcr combo unit. A nice touch is you can get movies to watch at the front desk courtesy of the motel. I believe they have a list of a few hundred of them. The beds while not exactly comfortable aren’t appalling either and the bathrooms are adequate. However as some others have noted here, everything just seems dated. Some rooms have a fireplace although I will warn you that in some rooms the fireplace is in an awkward place and in other rooms the fireplace looks like it’s from the seventies. The majority of the rooms face westward while the other rooms are over the parking lot. Avoid the parking lot rooms if possible. Some roorms face a large drainage canal. There are some trees but also a large parking lot. See my picture. We caught the person next door taking snapshots off his balcony and still can’t figure out what was worthwhile of it. By the way, the balconies are about three feet in width.

The noise level is okay, but as my wife and I experience at so many hotels/motels there is door slamming. You’ll know every time your neighbors come and go. There is also a firehouse nearby. Night time noise is respectable. Although one time we could easily hear drunks in the parking lot that lasted for a couple hours. Morning breakfast is a better than what some other motels consider a continental breakfast. There is a variety of cereals, toast, bagels, coffee, juice and pastries. My wife and I have stayed in Monterey many times at a many different places. Some were better than the Colton Inn and some were worse, but our last stay there was our last stay.

The price of the motel is marginal but many places in Monterey are overpriced during the summer season. My best advice is don’t expect too much from the motel otherwise you’ll be disappointed. If you’re looking for an average place to stay, you won’t be disappointed, but if you’re looking for something a little more than you will be. Thus I’m giving it three stars.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Squirm
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed at the Colton Inn for 2 nights in July during our 14 day California adventure that took us up Pacific Coast Highway from Disneyland through Monterey / Carmel to San Francisco. I booked with the Colton Inn after reading the rave reviews (it was #4 on the Trip Advisor list) after I had canceled my reservation with the #2 hotel in the area after I discovered that it was not "centrally located". We arrived after 11pm and our "late arrival" packet was waiting for us on the office door. The property is nicely kept and feels more like an apartment community rather than a motel. We had a room on the 2nd floor with a fireplace that overlooked the breakfast deck eating area which could get a little noisy in the morning. Ask for a room with a deck and NOT a fireplace as the deck would have been a nice addition to eat breakfast on. Our room was clean but very "dated" with high gloss paint on the walls, older eclectic dark furniture, older dark carpet, and satin navy bed coverings (wow! back track to the 80's!). The microwave and refrigerator were a plus. The main problem we experienced was with plumbing. On two occasions the water shut off in the middle of a morning shower for about 10 minutes. I am sure that my 3 year old daughter's screams when she couldn't rinse soap out of her eyes woke up the neighbors at 7:30 a.m.!! The continental breakfast is basic with breakfast beverages, bagels, pastries and various dry cereals but only send one member of the family down to the office with an order as there is really no room for more than two to three people in the lobby area at one time. Through it all the staff was friendly and pleasant. The fire station across the street was not a problem. Nice central location within walking distance to neighborhood eateries, bars, banks with ATM's and Trader Joe's which is a nice place to stock up on kids snacks and to fill your picnic basket!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank krma
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Traveled with our granddaughter. We had a great stay, the room was very clean and the staff was the best. Free movies, nice breakfast, afternoon and evening snacks. Will definately stay again if we come back to Monterey. Thank you, June, George and Lisa for making our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2008

We (2 adults, 1 child) stayed here for 2 nights. The Colton Inn was exactly what we wanted - 2 beds, kitchenette, and very convenient (walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, easy drive to Aquarium). Breakfast foods in the morning, fruit thrugh the day, and free movies to check out after an active day.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family