“Charming”
Review of Colton Inn

Colton Inn
Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We arrived early for a three day stay in Monterey and the cleaning staff did a great job getting our room ready right away. Nice location within walking distance to the wharf. Breakfast on the balcony was very relaxing. We will stay there next time we are in Monterey.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

This place has the potential for a lot of charm, but generally falls a little short. The room was clean, but dated. The balcony was kinda gross. On the upside, breakfast and available fresh fruit was great.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ProfSmitty
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This hotel is a bit dated. The first room we were shown had issues such as the bedside lights didn't work. We moved to a second room which had holes in the screens. We stayed in the second room and fortunately didn't have problems with insects. the room was large, had a lot of natural light, and a fireplace that was wonderful on those foggy days of summer. The hotel is in a residential section of Monterey so is not congested but is a short walk to the wharf. It was also convenient to drive from there to carmel and south on rt 1. A simple breakfast is included in the price which we found adequate-apples, bananas, oranges (very good quality) croissants and bagels (not so good) hard boiled eggs, instant oatmeal. They also have yummy cookies each night and tea and coffee. We always found plenty of parking in the hotel parking lot and there was plenty of street parking outside too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We did not know what to expect when we checked in to the Colton Inn, but we were thrilled with the results. Clean and spacious rooms. Breakfast included, with a beautiful garden in the back to enjoy breakfast. Staff were friendly and most helpful. Hotel is a 2-minute walk from restaurants and shopping, and a 10-minute walk from Old Fisherman's Wharf. Overall, would definitely return to the Colton Inn!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2014

In all the years I have used TA I have never written a negative review, but unfortunately, this hotel and the management have motivated me to weigh in and warn would be guests. The first thing out of the mouth of the GM "Pierce" was not "welcome to the Colton Inn" but rather "you can't park your car there". Had there been a parking sign that comment might have been legit, but when checking in it appeared to be the proper place to park.

Next the rooms - while the standard room a family member stayed in was sufficient, my husband and I made the huge mistake of booking the honeymoon suite with the idea that there would be a separate deck and more room for family members to meet. This room was musty and closed off with a hot tub area that was completely closed in, roof and all. I had to stand on my tiptoes to wash my face in the sink (I'm 5'5")...in fact there was no private outside deck or patio for this room. While it was laughable as a honeymoon suite it still would not have motivated me to write this review.

The reason I write this review is "Pierce" and the management in general. Very odd demeanor, talked to guests like children. On our last night there were 3 of us on the communal deck (remember we didn't have any private outdoor area with the honeymoon suite). We were quietly discussing the future of our disabled brother that lives with our 84 year old mother. Not a party conversation to say the least. Suddenly we were interrupted by Pierce saying that we were too loud....he then proceeded to accuse my husband of being angry and "sending him negativity". Again, bizarre as my husband may be a lot of things, but that's not even close. Did I mention that this was at 10 o'clock in the evening?? My take is that they simply do not want anyone using that deck except for breakfast - the heaters there were never even uncovered let alone used.

Some of these things could be overlooked, but my advice is to pay just a bit extra and stay down the road - this place and the management left me wondering how I could have made such a huge mistake by booking it. After re-checking the TA reviews I can now see how it happened. So hopefully this review will help someone else avoid Colton Inn and enjoy the happier places in Monterey.

Room Tip: Do not book the Honeymoon Suite!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank hellopoptart2
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Having lived on the Peninsula for 19 years, I saw the Inn probably a 1,000 times. However, I never stayed there after I left and never thought of it. I should have because the location is perfect, the rooms are a good size, parking is fine, the snacks they serve almost around the clock are fine for the munchies. The front desk was very professional. All said, the Inn could feel as though it had more character by paying closer attention to the landscaping in the front. It seems a little more charming in the back. I don't know the ownership or management, but it does lack the feel of live in ownership or management. Just an adjustment in feeling and a few changes would easily make this a 4 star.

Room Tip: I had a corner room and would suggest the same to anyone planning to stay at the Inn.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights during Super Bike race at Laguna Seca.
It worked out fine.

Room was a little dated (furniture & fireplace), but overall was adequate.

One window was missing its "crank", so we had to work hard to close it with our fingers...(it had been left open & there was no screen..., plus it was cold!).

One lamp was burned out.

Closet doors were both off the tracks & missing a handle.

Fridge was so noisy we had to unplug it at night.

The Fireplace chimney banged at night with any high winds (we were on the top floor).

There was no note pad of any kind to alert the hotel of things needing to be fixed...

Breakfast was sweet pastries, bagels, fruit, maybe instant oatmeal? I skipped this.

"Cindy" was wonderful on the phone & in person

Great location, very close to downtown (walking distance).

• Stayed: July 2014