“One of Monterey's best kept secrets in the heart of downtown”
Review of Colton Inn

Colton Inn
Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My husband and I traveled to Monterey with a large group of friends(10) to enjoy the AT&T National Golf Pro-Am. We stayed at the Colton Inn and absolutely loved it. The hotel rooms were very nice and more than fair priced. The staff was extremely helpful and kind. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, as did all of friends. The rooms were extremely cozy and clean. The hotel was within perfect walking distance to downtown and all of the restaurants and clubs. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone who is going to visit Monterey, CA.

• Stayed: February 2009

Reviewed 15 February 2009

My wife and decided to go to Montorrey for the first time on Valentine's day. We reserved a night stay at this hotel. The staff was very helpful. We went out that evening to have dinner and walk around the strip. We came back to the hotel to take a nap so we could get some rest before going clubing. During my nap i kept on itching uncontrolably all over my body, andI took my shirt off and went to the bathroom to see what was going on. I saw my body and i noticed that i had tinny bites all over me. I woke up my wife to tell her about it. She turned on the light and we looked to see if there was anything on the bed. To our dismay, we found hundres of bed bugs crawing around the matress and the sheets. We were so grossed out. that wee called the office to speak to the manager. She told us that we could check out and that we would not be charge for our stay there. We gladly left but our whole evening was ruin. My wife was so shoked of all this that we decided to go home. So if you stay in the hotel make sure you go into the room and check for bed bugs before you crawl into bed....

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rpvcarro
pacificmry, Manager at Colton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2009

We felt terrible about this incident. Our housekeeping is rated very highly whenever inspected.
We called someone right away to inspect our rooms and only one had bed bugs.
The Colton Inn like most establishment have no way of knowing what someone brings into a room.It can come from other Hotels, dorms and even theaters. The room that was infested had not been used in over two weeks so housekeeping had not seen the mattress.
We now are inspecting on a regular bases and a new pest control company helps with training and inspecting of room weekly.

Reviewed 22 December 2008

This little gem in the heart of historic Monterey is just wonderful. The room was equipped with a functional fireplace, tv, dvd player, fridge, and microwave. The rooms were very clean and the bed perfectly comfortable for propping up to read a book or watch tv, and great for a good nights sleep. The continental breakfast was one of the nicest I have seen, there are a bevvy of DVDs you can borrow from the Front Desk, and FREE wireless internet is offered. The Front Desk Staff (thank you Katlyn) was friendly, helpful, and fun. To top it off, the rooms were affordable.

This was my first time in Monterey, it won't be my last. And I will definitely be staying at the Colton Inn again. Many Thanks!

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank LAL132
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Myself and my family stayed for 2 nights at the Colton Inn in September. Overall were really happy with the room and staff. Jane the manager was really helpful. For the price and standard the Inn is good value.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank MarkymarkSydney
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Stayed here for one night as we drove down the Pacific Highway from San Francisco. I picked it after reading reviews on TripAdvisor, so I was a bit surprised when we arrived to find how 'motel-ish' it was. In all fairness the ground floor room was perfectly adequate, and we had our own tiny little balcony/patio(just big enough for two chairs) facing the wooded area at the back.

Our check-in was not a welcoming experience; the receptionist was on the phone and did not even look at us, let alone make a gesture that she would attend to us shortly. I had the same experience the next morning when asking directions to the post office, and in the end I was sent the wrong way n the wrong direction - quite hard in such a small place when it's actually on the next block!

The breakfast was fine; it's free and we ate on the little patio at the back, which was quite nice. Overall, though, I didn't feel our custom was valued and I'd look for somewhere else the next time.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Northbrook
Reviewed 14 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Colton for 3 nights from 29/9.
Reception staff were polite and helpful.
The room, a corner room with king size bed and fireplace, was of good size and in good condition.
The self-service breakfasts were more than adequate, with a good choice of cereals, pastries etc, and the "all day" coffee, cookies and fruit were also a nice touch.
It's an easy 20 minute walk along picturesque Alvarado Street to get to Fisherman's Wharf. It's too far to walk to Cannery Row, but an easy 5 minute drive.
All in all, good position, comfortable and good value for money.

One possible drawback would be if there were a local emergency. The local fire station is right across the road!

While you are in Monterey, go whale watching with Monterey Bay Whale Watch. I bet we saw more whales on the day we went out than any of the other boats that were out there!

Also, if travelling to or from San Francisco, take a look at Moss Landing State Beach. There is a creek there that is just full of sea otters.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TauntonBob
Reviewed 11 October 2008

For many years my husband and I have come to Monterey for one week in the fall so he can attend a conference. Every year we have the same discussion: where to stay. He likes reasonable rates and convenience of location, I like pleasant accomodations and homey touches. We never seem to find a place that satisfies us both until we found the Colton Inn on Pacific Avenue.

The price is surprisingly low for Monterey and the location couldn't be better. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood, yet just a short walk to the downtown conference center. My husband was very happy about that. And for me, the room was clean and well appointed, and I found each staff member friendly and helpful. Some of the extra touches I liked were the large selection of DVDs you can borrow free of charge, hot drinks, tasty cookies and fruit available all day, twelve kinds of cereals for breakfast, and good coffee with plenty of fresh milk: all the little things that make it feel like home.

We do not travel with kids or pets any more, and we weren't on our honeymoon, so I can't say how it would work for those situations. Speaking for older couples like us, the place is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank neuts