“The service was absolutely horrid!!!”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey
Ranked #38 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This hotel had the worst service that I have had at an establishment! When I arrived I told the front desk manager that I did not have a credit card for incidentals but that my mom wanted to put her credit card on file for the incidentals. The front desk manager had a huge attitude about it and started acting extremely rude and talked in a condescending tone not only to me but also to my mother on the phone. I have never had somebody act so rude when I was trying to get them a credit card on file. After arguing with him for about 5 minutes, he finally said that we could email him the credit card information. Then after it took more than 2 minutes( it only took a matter of 5 minutes to get the email to him) he was having an attitude because it wasn't getting emailed as fast as he would have liked! He was the rudest person that I have ever met and I will never again stay at that hotel, nor will I ever recommend that hotel to someone else! I wouldn't even recommend that hotel to someone that I hated! The owners need to fire that front desk manager as soon as possible!!! I would rather sleep in my car than stay in that hotel and be treated that rudely again!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Neil P, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Jason:
First and foremost, I'm really sorry and apologized for any inconvenient that may caused to you. After you gave us your feedback I spoke to you, that it was not my/our intention to cause any inconvenient to you at all. You are my VIP Guest and your reservation was genuine without any doubt. We talked all that at the desk at the time of C/I.
We have to follow the PCI compliance, stay within their guide line which is fully required by C/C processing company. Other than that I had no objection or no argument.
Whenever someone presenting C/C on phone for Rent/Incidental, we need to meet the requirement of the C/C holder's authorization either via fax or email. In your case it was an end moment for your mom to go through that process, and I felt sorry for it.
We discussed all these at the time of C/I, and I believe it was all clear between us without any kind of misunderstanding.
Again, I apologize if I did not explain you correctly or created any confusion for you, but it was not my intention at all. I hope you understand and give me an opportunity to serve you again.
Yours Truly,
Neil at Red Roof Inn.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

After staying in Motel 6 for two weeks, my room here seemed like a suite and the prices are almost identical. The room included a flat screen tv, micro fridge, plus microwave. Having a desk with a leather type chair was a pleasant surprise. When an issue did arise, I was helped out of a bind by the manager, Neil. As for the free breakfast....I've never really gone to any budget hotel expecting a gourmet breakfast, so anything free is a plus for me. Also being dog friendly was a bonus.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark T
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Mark,

We are very happy to hear that you wanted to share your experience staying with us. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy all of the room amenities that we have to offer. Everything in the room is brand new and renovated and it makes us proud that you were able to take advantage. Please refer us to your friends and family and we really do hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any hassle.

Neil (G.M)

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I believe I found this hotel on Yelp, and chose it based on the better reviews I had found there. On the other site this Inn is actually ranked #6, and considering that this hotel was $60 a night, and #5 was $200 a night staying here was a no brainier. If you require a fancy hotel with nothing but the best then I would suggest looking elsewhere, but if you're looking at a clean and quiet motel, with a friendly staff and in a nice location then this might be the hotel for you. I will say that this might be best for singles and couples, but a family could also rent two rooms at a cheaper rate then what it might cost to stay somewhere else. I only stayed here for one night, but plan on making the trip for a more extended stay in the future, and would definitely take this hotel into consideration for my next vacation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Langox510x

Dear Guest,

We are extremely delighted that you have given us a perfect rating based on your experience staying with us. Customer service is always our number one priority and we make sure that we need to meet certain guest needs on a daily basis. We are glad that you enjoyed every aspect during your stay at an excellent price. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking with us directly, your rooms are always guaranteed without any hassle.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Room was clean but tiny, no room to really relax, bed and dresser, microwave/fridge and just room enough to walk around king bed. No room for a soft chair or table and chairs, desk in hallway with desk chair. TV was flat screen with no HD, everyone looked short and fat, on and off was on TV, not on remote. We were in a court, with apartments across from us less than 10 feet away. Dogs are allowed but signs everywhere, saying walking dogs is prohibited. When we arrived door and window were open, we unpacked and closed window and went out for lunch, when we got back room smelled like old cigarettes, but it is a no smoking hotel. Managers were helpful and friendly and more than willing to correct things, but some things cannot be corrected, I do not recommend this one, unless you are just passing through and only stay one night or only use your room for sleeping, bed WAS comfy and A/C was nice and quiet.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking your time to share your experience staying with us. We always want to provide excellent guest service to make sure that our guests return to us in the future. We want to extremely apologize that we could not fulfill all of your needs. We always want to avoid making any guest unhappy and we will do anything that we can to fix it. We really do apologize that your stay did not go as intended. We will do our absolute best the next time you do decide to stay with us. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Check in slow - friendly manager.
Good size rooms - clean - with an alcove where the writing table was located - good idea as you can write without disturbing other in the room.
Poor breakfast with little choice and the manager was 5 minutes late in opening.
Jacuzzi was broken.
Adequate but nothing to shout about.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Terry,

We are delighted to hear that you wanted to share your experience staying with us. We strive to provide the best customer service everyday. We want our customers to enjoy everything that is available to them from the moment they check-in. We are glad to hear that you got to enjoy the good sized clean rooms. Please refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through www.redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any issues.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here as a couple in our late 20's for 1 night while in Monterey. The location was excellent only a 10 - 15 minute drive to the aquarium, cannery row shops, fishermans wharf and the famous 17 mile scenic drive. There was also shops and restaraunts just outside the hotel. We booked to stay in the queen room but when we arrived we got upgraded to a king room. The room was very clean, basic but a good size with a private balcony overlooking the garden, had a fridge, microwave, TV, AC and iron. Breakfast was included in the room price and included cereals, toast, tea and coffee which was good, but limited seating. Staff were rather pleasant. The hotel was cheap and would highly reccommend to anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael G
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Micheal,

We are very glad to hear that you wanted to share your experience staying with us. We strive everyday to provide the best possible guest service. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the close and convenient locations. We are also excited to hear that you enjoyed the great rooms that we have to offer. The rooms have many different amenities that can be offered to our guests and were glad you were able to take advantage of that. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we would love to see you again. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking with us directly, your rooms are always guaranteed without any hassle.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Not a bad location, close to all the hip spots and affordable. Seemed to be a lot of remodeling going on, to include the hot tub. Great value, I'd stay again. Easy to find, and I had a great day with my girlfriend riding our bicycles to and from the aquarium and cannery row.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Burtonrichards
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Guest,

We are extremely happy to hear that you wanted to share your experience staying with us. My staff and I always want to put our best foot forward in bringing the best service to our guests. We want to show them that we care for them and that we will provide the services that they desire. This will prove that our guest service is outstanding. We are glad that you were able to enjoy all of the affordable close by spots. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we would love to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking with us directly, your reservations are always guaranteed without any issues.